Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window with defroster on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for you in maryland it may not be an issue but for me in Vancouver it is a major issue. We get A LOT of rain here and in the winter my windows fog up a lot so I use the defroster to clear it away from the back window. When you combine the rain with shorter days it makes it hard enough at night to see out the back of window as it is, having a distorted view of what's happening behind me doesn't help the situation one bit.

In ideal condition it's really not a big deal but I'm trying to be proactive and not have to worry about this when the weather is bad.

Is your back window tinted? I ask because now that I've seen this thread I looked in the back of my volt on the way home and the road lines which nominally cross the defroster lines at 90 degrees also got distorted. The effect seemed to get worse the more oblique the light passing through the window was (ie, closer to the bottom).

I didn't take any pictures, but for fun I will try and get some. But I also have tints on, and I'm wondering what effect the tint film may play in this as well.

Also would be interested to hear what tesla has to say about it.

Is your back window tinted? I ask because now that I've seen this thread I looked in the back of my volt on the way home and the road lines which nominally cross the defroster lines at 90 degrees also got distorted. The effect seemed to get worse the more oblique the light passing through the window was (ie, closer to the bottom).

I didn't take any pictures, but for fun I will try and get some. But I also have tints on, and I'm wondering what effect the tint film may play in this as well.

Also would be interested to hear what tesla has to say about it.
no tint on my windows. Today I was told that "Diagnostics is still looking into the pictures you sent to see if this is considered normal"

So, quick update. I've got an appointment to go in on the 28th to have their technicians look at the issue i'm having. I was also told that "they’ve recommended we have a rear glass on hand for replacement if necessary". Fingers crossed that they can get this resolved.

Also, I asked them that the replacement rear window that they order be one with the IR coating on it as the one I currently have doesn't have it on it.

So, quick update. I've got an appointment to go in on the 28th to have their technicians look at the issue i'm having. I was also told that "they’ve recommended we have a rear glass on hand for replacement if necessary". Fingers crossed that they can get this resolved.

So we think the wavyness is an issue? Are there cars that don't do this? I thought maybe that's just how it is.

Keep us posted
I am holding off tinting my window

Does it happen to all model 3 owners?
It happens on mine
probably a good idea to hold off on the tinting. If I have to live with this at least they can give me the red coating on the window. I still believe that if they simply turn down the amount of heat that is generated by the wires in the window it would probably resolve the issue.

This is an interesting thread because I have what seems to be the exact opposite issue. In the morning when there is fog on my window the rear defrost seems to take forever (10min) to 'melt' it away... my vin is 95xxx.. I wonder if they cranked the power down at some point.

Quick update for everyone who has been following this. I had my appointment today and i've been told they will replace the rear window on my car. Unfortunately they gave my replacement rear window to someone else a few days ago and have to get a new one in but hopefully this will resolve the issue.

So, I checked my model 3 today driving around. It was dry outside and about 13C. Turning on the defroster and for sure the distortion is pretty bad. Even went into the backseat later to try and feel how hot the elements get, and it doesn't seem unreasonable.

It makes me wonder if the back glass is actually some sort of plastic polymer rather than glass. It would distort more readily than glass.

@Koflach if it does get better on your car with the 'red' glass I would definitely be looking at having mine replaced as well.

If the pattern of the elements wasn't so dense and box-like it probably wouldn't be noticeable, but the way the lines end up at 90 degree angles it really distorts the cars behind.

If nothing else, it sure seems like these elements will melt snow in the winter super fast! ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Trevlan006
So, I got a text today at 3:30 telling me that my car was ready to be picked up. I called into the store to confirm that everything on my list was done and I was told by Anthony in the service department that they actually did NOT replace my rear window even though I had been told multiple times my multiple people that it WOULD be replaced. I was even told on Saturday that it had in fact been replaced...

Their reason for this is that it is a known issue but there is no known solution at this time.

I'm confused and a little pissed off at the Vancouver SC for telling me one thing this entire time and now being told that there is nothing that can be done. I am going to push this up the chain of command with Tesla corporate as the rear window I have is not acceptable. Hell, the Ford Flex that I was given as a loaner doesn't even do this.