Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window with defroster on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I turned my rear defroster on for the first time today and noticed that when it's on, the glass around the lines get's quite distorted. It doesn't look normal to me (as i've never seen this happen on any other cars in the past) and I wanted to see if anyone else has this happen to them.

If it makes any difference, I have the rear window that doesn't turn red anywhere on it.

here's a photo for reference

Attachments

• 20180909_162811.jpg
    20180909_162811.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 413
  • Informative
Reactions: phtp
here's a photo for reference

This is really interesting....I would have not thought the defrost elements could cause this level of distortion in the glass, but obviously the picture is worth a thousand words.

The elements must have a higher thermal power density than typical defrosters to accomplish this I think. I wonder how well they will actually defrost in the snow seeing this.

Whats going on is the elements are causing some local thermal stress in the glass which is changing its optical properties. Depending on the type of glass they are using this could be normal (I'm assuming its normal). I also think the pattern of the elements makes it more obvious than on typical cars, because there are some 90 degree turns in the elements and it looks like the vertical heating elements give more apparent distortion.

The optics geek in me wants to see what the local index of refraction changes to with the heating elements on/off :)

Mine has this distortion when the defrosters are on, but it goes away when they cool down. The distortion is definitely NOT a safety issue as you can still clearly identify objects in the rear. Things just look a little wavy in some places. I wouldn't have really noticed if it wasn't for this thread. VIN: 309xx

Reactions: richyrich
Mine has this distortion when the defrosters are on, but it goes away when they cool down. The distortion is definitely NOT a safety issue as you can still clearly identify objects in the rear. Things just look a little wavy in some places. I wouldn't have really noticed if it wasn't for this thread. VIN: 309xx
for you in maryland it may not be an issue but for me in Vancouver it is a major issue. We get A LOT of rain here and in the winter my windows fog up a lot so I use the defroster to clear it away from the back window. When you combine the rain with shorter days it makes it hard enough at night to see out the back of window as it is, having a distorted view of what's happening behind me doesn't help the situation one bit.

In ideal condition it's really not a big deal but I'm trying to be proactive and not have to worry about this when the weather is bad.