Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Receiving ~200 miles of range on ‘23 base M3. Would COP help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I park my car at work in the sun, unfortunately there’s no shade in the lot.

I do about 4 trips a day during work where I have to drive about a mile down the road. On the way back, it’s another mile.

I usually loose about 1% of range going each direction.

I assume this is because of the AC having to cool down the car each time. Would cabin overheat protection help?

I’ve read that it usually uses about 6% of battery every day. I’d plan to turn it off when I get home, and only use it at work.

Simple math shows that the 8% or so I loose driving back and forth would make it worth it, but I wanted to open it up for discussion.

My battery (through the Tessie app) shows I should get about 240 miles of real world range, but I’m falling considerably short of this. I’d be lucky to hit the 200 that I mentioned in the title.

You are correct. Your energy is used to cool down your car, not the drive itself. That is why the efficiency is so bad.

Cabin overheat protection will NOT help, it will actually use more energy keeping the interior cool. The best way for you is to get some shades for the roof and when you get in your car, roll down your windows turn off the HVAC and drive, let the car cool off naturally a little THEN turn on the AC if you need it.