Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent heat pump failures - software issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Transport Canada now involved.

Japan getting 2021.40.30.7
That would make sense if it has the cold weather fix.

Edit: just saw the post above…

And here is my story about the super miracle Tesla car)) I live in Russia, this year's winter is frosty and snowy! January 11, frost -20 Celsius. The evening trip went well, the compressor worked, it was warm in the cabin. January 13, morning 8:00, temperature -25. The preconditioning did not fully warm up the car, it was cool inside. At the moment of movement, the compressor turned on and heat began to flow into the cabin. BUT! After 5 minutes, error a447 appeared. It got cold in the cabin. My bear and balalaika began to freeze))) I decided to return home. By evening (6:00 p.m.) the temperature outside dropped to -12. I tried to turn on the heating and voila, it worked. The car is warming up. Since then the temperature has been -5:-10. Error a447 was no more. Hope it doesn't show up. (Model Y 2021)

30.7 installed. No improvement.
I'm curious to know if your car is parked outside all the time or inside a warm building and whether the front vent gets a chance to close properly? If you're parking outside, is there anywhere that you could park for a few hours so that if icing over the vent is the problem it could be melted away? Thus far we've not had the issue but tonight the cold might get severe enough to have this happen. @ 30.7 too.

I got a reply back from NHTSA requesting more information. Hopefully they get Tesla to finally fix it instead of the usual "software" excuse (2 years in a row)

B4FA982C-3CBB-4E48-9B5F-6B40A2F62473.png

I'm curious to know if your car is parked outside all the time or inside a warm building and whether the front vent gets a chance to close properly? If you're parking outside, is there anywhere that you could park for a few hours so that if icing over the vent is the problem it could be melted away?
Hi Trev, unfortunately since I am still on PEI due to the COVID-19 situation in Ontario, I am stuck parking outside. The front louver seems to be able to cycle open and closed freely, but never stays closed anymore as far as I've noticed. I did try to thaw the car out at a self-storage drive-through loading garage for a few hours and that did not resolve the issue. The weather here is turning mild today (1ºC, showers) so I will have a chance to revisit this again. But at this stage I've all but ruled out ice buildup anywhere in the HVAC system as a root cause.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
Hi Trev, unfortunately since I am still on PEI due to the COVID-19 situation in Ontario, I am stuck parking outside. The front louver seems to be able to cycle open and closed freely, but never stays closed anymore as far as I've noticed. I did try to thaw the car out at a self-storage drive-through loading garage for a few hours and that did not resolve the issue. The weather here is turning mild today (1ºC, showers) so I will have a chance to revisit this again. But at this stage I've all but ruled out ice buildup anywhere in the HVAC system as a root cause.
Thanks for the response. This certainly seems to be a hit or miss issue to some extent. Whatever it is, at least it appears Tesla is looking into it. I hope you manage to get it resolved soon - somehow, although given there's no service locations near PEI, you'll only be able to address it if you travel.

Here's my full invoice. It took them a week to fix it but much of that time was spent waiting for guidance from field reps. I could tell from tracking the car on TeslaFi and Teslascope when they moved it into the garage for work and when it sat outside for several days. It had FSD 2021.44.25.6 when the errors happened and when I took it in. During the week they had it, 2021.44.30.5 appeared ready to install in Teslascope and TeslaFi (couldn't see it in the Tesla app because the car was in service mode). I kept expecting them to apply it to get some software fix but they didn't. They changed the super manifold and sensors and gave the car back. I ran the heater on the way home and it was hot. Granted, Seattle was 45F degrees VS 0F when the problem first started on my road trip in Idaho but the system worked and felt normal. I applied the 2021.44.30.5 last night after I got home but haven't driven it since.

HVAC.png

Here's my full invoice. It took them a week to fix it but much of that time was spent waiting for guidance from field reps. I could tell from tracking the car on TeslaFi and Teslascope when they moved it into the garage for work and when it sat outside for several days. It had FSD 2021.44.25.6 when the errors happened and when I took it in. During the week they had it, 2021.44.30.5 appeared ready to install in Teslascope and TeslaFi (couldn't see it in the Tesla app because the car was in service mode). I kept expecting them to apply it to get some software fix but they didn't. They changed the super manifold and sensors and gave the car back. I ran the heater on the way home and it was hot. Granted, Seattle was 45F degrees VS 0F when the problem first started on my road trip in Idaho but the system worked and felt normal. I applied the 2021.44.30.5 last night after I got home but haven't driven it since.

View attachment 755629
Curious to see "Inspected components and found Supermanifold to replace". So they effectively found something wrong on that manifold or found the revision number to be different. Mine is going in 19th. One week to go.

I should have added, my Y performance is a 2020 with VIN ending in 041587. I'm sure there are newer/better parts now.
Makes sense. My build is July 2021 so I am likely a few revisions ahead of your original supermanifold. At this stage I think the software-based solutions have been exhausted for me. The low refrigerant matter is interesting.. any idea if your error code was trying to tell us this? I wonder if under extreme conditions such as deep cold the pressures are such that it becomes damaged or a leak occurs otherwise. The manifold is not visible from the frunk without disassembly so I have no idea which revision I am on now.

Fingers crossed they don't strand me in Halifax too long while they address this.

Reactions: TrevTremaine