Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red - Bumper color does not match body, service refused

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn’t get it back yesterday. I was thinking that was unlikely to happen when the SC said the car would be ready later that day.

I have such a bad car disorder that I am constantly tense whenever one of my cars is in the shop. I need expensive therapy, but I keep using that money to buy more cars.

622C7783-09BA-49E4-8580-12C30932EEA9.png

Well showed up at 11am for the 11:15 pickup. Double checked the app before leaving the house in the p-o-s Model S loaner than gave me to make sure it was still going to be ready.

Not ready. They forgot to update the app. So might as well throw that in the river since the app can never be trusted. They said new bumper was also wrong color. They have another one now and may have it done later today. Probably not in my estimation given how things have gone since day 1 with these clowns.

Well showed up at 11am for the 11:15 pickup. Double checked the app before leaving the house in the p-o-s Model S loaner than gave me to make sure it was still going to be ready.

Not ready. They forgot to update the app. So might as well throw that in the river since the app can never be trusted. They said new bumper was also wrong color. They have another one now and may have it done later today. Probably not in my estimation given how things have gone since day 1 with these clowns.
Thanks for the update, should look great right after, get the Front Xpel PPF when you can.

Fred

I hope I get a medal for my patience with Tesla.

It has to be the worst customer service company in the world.

My app still says, pick up at 11:15 on 10th. No, I still don’t have the car.

I was told at 11:15 when I went there like an idiot for believing the app that good chance it would be ready later today.

Hadn’t heard anything, so at 3pm, I text the number that they told me is my service advisor. Nothing at all.

At 4:30, I call and the service guys says I should check through text. Explain I did that. He said, oh, and told me to hold while he finds out.

I get in the car while on hold to go there since that’s the only hope to get the car since it’s rush hour. After 10 mins on hold, he comes back and says the service advisor has been notified and will contact me asap.

That’s not an answer, so I keep driving there. Never heard anything from the service advisor.

Get there with 5 mins before closing, and the guy at the desk goes to check. 5 mins later comes back and says they still have a little more to do on it, so could be ready tomorrow since techs may keep working even though they are closed. They will contact me tomorrow.

What are the chances of that??

While leaving dejected in the beat to hell 2014 Model S, I drive around back and see my car parked in the alley. Bumper looks the same and untouched. They probably haven’t done anything since I dropped it off Wed morning.

30 year storm event expected with massive winds and potential hail tonight. Asked the guy if the cars will be taken in due to the storm, and he said yes. I give that a 1% chance of happening and a .05% chance my car will be ready tomorrow.

I am pretty sure Yugo had better customer service.

Picked up the car today! The front bumper is a really good match now! Yea!

Almost made it to my freeway exit when there was a loud pop and then a loud sound of rushing air. The car felt ok, but it was like the glass panel had popped loose and was letting air in the cabin. Slowed down and exited the freeway and pulled into a gas station right in front of our neighborhood. Found the problem. There we no screws or fasteners holding in the rear bumper under tray/diffuser. None!

Funny thing is they didn’t touch the rear bumper. It’s definitely the same one, so why did they pull the screws out of the panel and then leave it that way?? Who knows!

We walked home, and then I went back in our Mercedes with long tie wraps and have the car in the garage now. I’ll do my best to secure it and take it back on Monday.

Wonderful.

Reactions: ACA Man

Almost made it to my freeway exit when there was a loud pop and then a loud sound of rushing air. The car felt ok, but it was like the glass panel had popped loose and was letting air in the cabin. Slowed down and exited the freeway and pulled into a gas station right in front of our neighborhood. Found the problem. There we no screws or fasteners holding in the rear bumper under tray/diffuser. None!

Funny thing is they didn’t touch the rear bumper. It’s definitely the same one, so why did they pull the screws out of the panel and then leave it that way?? Who knows!

We walked home, and then I went back in our Mercedes with long tie wraps and have the car in the garage now. I’ll do my best to secure it and take it back on Monday.

Wonderful.
I can only shake my head.

Well, it was 10 M6 screws and 6 push pins that they forgot to put back on the under tray. The under tray was still fastened on the back of the bumper.

My guess is that they removed the fasteners to work on the alignment and put the panel back and then forgot to put the fasteners.

Went to the parts store and bought more of the right screws and push pins so I can drive my car.

It’s well secured now but the panel took a beating and rubbed through on the cement on the front edges.

This is why I DIY.

F8E1D3DF-07B3-4446-8A49-FD0376D04898.jpeg
E4E87E90-C23D-4CEB-B7A9-B14B831E50D0.jpeg
1522396C-921B-494A-B1D9-57A83EE94086.jpeg
AD20214D-1839-4D2F-B9AC-EEF08800CB35.jpeg
30457761-6ADA-4B39-AE05-ECED3FAFCA43.jpeg
F8E1D3DF-07B3-4446-8A49-FD0376D04898.jpeg
E4E87E90-C23D-4CEB-B7A9-B14B831E50D0.jpeg
1522396C-921B-494A-B1D9-57A83EE94086.jpeg
AD20214D-1839-4D2F-B9AC-EEF08800CB35.jpeg
30457761-6ADA-4B39-AE05-ECED3FAFCA43.jpeg

Nice to hear the color of your front bumper matches now !! Sorry to hear about your rear bumper under tray though. That is crazy that the screws and push pins were not installed. After Tesla service curbed one of my wheels, I would only take my car back there if I absolutely had to. Keeps us updated with the response from Tesla..

Nice to hear the color of your front bumper matches now !! Sorry to hear about your rear bumper under tray though. That is crazy that the screws and push pins were not installed. After Tesla service curbed one of my wheels, I would only take my car back there if I absolutely had to. Keeps us updated with the response from Tesla..

My plan is to go there Monday morning to show them the damage to the tray, which is completely hidden from normal view, and the pics above and ask them to note it down.

I don’t want to give them my car again right away again. It freaks me out that they’ll do more damage than good. I’ll ask them to fix it in the future when I have another warranty issue. (Not a mistake to not say “if”)

Here’s a pic to compare the much closer bumper match now.

18E08B4F-82E6-4019-B06F-D21B47888B15.jpeg
82358689-69DB-4A9A-B617-A4F5864205F2.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow - what a difference in color between the two pics !!

When my car was in the SC for an alignment to fix the off-center steering wheel, they asked me if I wanted them to change the cabin air filters. I told them "No", just sell me the filters and I can replace them myself.

I don't think anyone from Tesla will ever admit it, but they definitely painted a lot of red bumpers with the wrong color of red. It has to be a different paint code because it's just too far off. I wonder how many they painted that way. Probably hundreds. I hope they fired that in competent paint guy.

I don't think anyone from Tesla will ever admit it, but they definitely painted a lot of red bumpers with the wrong color of red. It has to be a different paint code because it's just too far off. I wonder how many they painted that way. Probably hundreds. I hope they fired that in competent paint guy.

There was a post of a red one in Europe that had the same bumper color mismatch as yours did. Hope he was successful in getting his corrected also...

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
My plan is to go there Monday morning to show them the damage to the tray, which is completely hidden from normal view, and the pics above and ask them to note it down.

I don’t want to give them my car again right away again. It freaks me out that they’ll do more damage than good. I’ll ask them to fix it in the future when I have another warranty issue. (Not a mistake to not say “if”)

Here’s a pic to compare the much closer bumper match now.

View attachment 499323 View attachment 499325
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

What do you think the probability is that at that point in the future they'll admit it was their fault? I had a similar issue when a control arm broke and the fender liner got damaged. They didn't have the part and said they'd repair it the next time I came in. When that happened, they denied it. Fortunately I had a copy of the repair report which had their promise on it.

Be very sure to get it in writing that they will repair it in the future if that's the way you go.

He’s the one that started this thread, but he hasn’t updated since he said his claim was denied.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

What do you think the probability is that at that point in the future they'll admit it was their fault? I had a similar issue when a control arm broke and the fender liner got damaged. They didn't have the part and said they'd repair it the next time I came in. When that happened, they denied it. Fortunately I had a copy of the repair report which had their promise on it.

Be very sure to get it in writing that they will repair it in the future if that's the way you go.

I am here now. They apologized for the error. The service opened an unscheduled repair in the system so it will be tee’d up for my next service visit. I texted them the pics to their text number.