TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Redmond Wa -> Astoria Or -> Redmond Wa with CHAdeMO

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by richkae, Jun 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. richkae

richkae VIN587

Drove 400 miles round trip today. 310 wh/mile for the whole trip going left lane speed instead of right lane speed.
    Redmond -> Centralia
    Centralia -> Astoria
    Astoria -> Centralia
    Centralia -> Redmond
    Each leg is 100 miles.

On the first stop in Centralia I decided to top up to 220 miles range from 150 because I wasn't confident I would be able to charge in Astoria.
    It only cost me about 3 minutes on top of the time I spent for a quick pit stop and breakfast to get to a nice round 220.

In Astoria I used my CHAdeMO adapter for the first time. I was very happy to get 150 miles per hour plugged in there. I had a little scare when my charge port door would not open when I pushed the button on the touchscreen - rebooting the touchscreen with the thumbwheels fixed that.
    ( No idea how long it had been in that state, I haven't had to open the charge port that way for a long time. )
    I got back to ~240 miles range during lunch and headed back to Redmond. Once the car is above half battery CHAdeMO isn't significantly slower than supercharging.

I stopped in Centralia again to top up on the way back, not because I needed charge, but because I needed a 15 minute catnap.

My lack of faith in the CHAdeMO recharge ( had never used the adapter before, didn't know what charge rate I would get, didn't know if the 1 unit in all of Astoria would be working or ICEd ) was unwarranted.

2. ww73

ww73 Member

How much did it cost to charge?

3. saladman

saladman Member

That's great news! I was just planning that exact same trip. Which chase no did you use in Astoria?

4. richkae

richkae VIN587

It was $7.50
    Totally worth it, because otherwise I would have had anxiety about the return trip - arriving in Centralia empty and then would have had to wait there.

- - - Updated - - -

What is a "chase no"?

5. glenhurst

glenhurst Member

I think saladman meant "what charger number" (?).

6. richkae

richkae VIN587

I think it was 10014

Astoria would be a great place for a Supercharger IMO.