Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduce Sell Price to fix TBC Algorithm? PG&E/MCE EV2-A Solar + PWs + EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - I've read a lot of the treads on and around this topic today and am left with one question. Some background:

I have an 8K system and two PW2s.
I am a net consumer, but not by much, it's tough to tell for sure because our EV usage is VERY sporadic. We can go for a week without charging or charge a few times in the same week.
MCE-EV2A - CCA on PG&E
Set at 5% reserve - we get a power outage once over 2-3 years around here as we are on a protected grid for the refinery nearby. I am starting to wonder if I am crushing the lifespan of the PWs though...

I've left the system on TBC since it was installed. My true-up was around $800 last year, which was WAY too high, especially since my EV usage had dropped quite a bit from previous years. Intermittent checking of the system looked like it was making dumb decisions, and running only about 30% self-powered year-round, only varying 5-10% in the summer.

So, I went to Self-Powered for the past few months and am running 70+% self-powered.

Anyway, I figure I am still not really doing it "right" - Hence my Sunday research. I think I really should let TBC do its thing (especially in the winter months) but I want to be confident it is actually configured properly.

I let the app pull the latest rate plan which has buy/sell rates the same. I have read a few threads where the instruction is to keep sell rates lower than buy rates (I think to accommodate for NBCs?) but I have seen a suggestion of three cents and also other suggestions to make sure it's at least 15% in order to "trip the algorithm".

Does anybody have a solid answer on that last part?

Thanks in advice for any input here!!