Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced Power mode 1/4 into 1000 mile road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced Reduced Power mode due to cooling issues. After the third time of exiting and restarting, I called roadside assistance and they said that was the issue. The recommend that I continue on to my destination and take it to the service center there. Really sucks as I’m limited to 65mph while the freeways are 70mph. Trucks are not too happy with my slow speed.

I can deal with that. I'm here for 5 days so hopefully they can get it in and fixed in that time period. Don't know if I can take driving it in this state back home. Auto pilot and cruise don't work and I have to put a lot of force on the accelerator to get it to reach a reasonable speed. Tesla said it's safe to drive albeit annoying.

Anecdotally, my son took his M3 in for a wifi connectivity issue on Friday. He had a scheduled 11am appointment. Apparently that was just to receive the car and not actually work on it. We live 75 miles from a SC and they were not going to give him a loan but Uber vouchers. He needs a car for work, so after a bit of talking back and forth, he was able to get a MS as a loaner for the week. They are expecting to be done by next Friday with his M3.

Just got off the phone with the service center. Apparently the two temp sensors where connected in reverse order which caused the issue when things got warm. Wonder how many early builds will see something similar as this happened during assembly. Easy fix and hopefully the end of the problem.

This worries me more than misaligned trim and paint defects. Hopefully, this is just a one-off unlucky experience versus poor quality that extends beyond just the cosmetic items that others have found.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
Just got off the phone with the service center. Apparently the two temp sensors where connected in reverse order which caused the issue when things got warm. Wonder how many early builds will see something similar as this happened during assembly. Easy fix and hopefully the end of the problem.

A few hundred early Model X vehicles had reversed cooling system lines that eventually led to cooling system failures. But when it happened to me on a hot summer road trip from Reno to Vegas, it only slowed down the charging, not the driving, and fortunately the Vegas service center had me up and running in no time.

Reactions: Matsayz
Has anyone just showed up at a service center and was able to have their car looked at? I’m 500 miles from home and can’t wait until they have an available slot in a week.
That's going to depend on a number of factors, including which SC you pull into. If it is serious enough the SC usually will fit you in ASAP. If they are slow enough in the moment they'll do it, too.

If it doesn't rise to "doesn't work/meaningfully reduced performance" or "potentially damaging/dangerous to continue to drive" you might get blown off to "use your App to make an appointment".

Good to hear you were able to get to your destination and they fit you in (with a loaner).