Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REDUCED REGEN FIX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so it’s cold and I noticed regen braking is reduced or not working completely. I charged for 2 minutes only and regen came back ? Is this a fluke, can someone try this and let me know if it worked for u.

I think that’s normal when the battery is cold. Two options. First one use the regen braking but give yourself extra distance. Or you can click on the Apply brakes during regen. Sometimes when it’s really cold this won’t go off for the entire drive

Ok so it’s cold and I noticed regen braking is reduced or not working completely. I charged for 2 minutes only and regen came back ? Is this a fluke, can someone try this and let me know if it worked for u.
In my experience, this is not a fluke. In cold weather, I always precondition when I see the blue snowflake on the App. But I am surprised that your region came back after only two minutes of preconditioning. I'll have to see how long it takes for my M3.

NOT SURE it was even pre-condition. The car indicated regen braking not available, due to sub zero temps. I went to charge, then wanted to move my car closer like 2 minutes and when I moved my car, the regen (GREEN progress line) was back.

Now it was still, i'm sure, still reduced but it went from regen not working to working in all of 2 minute charge.

Your battery was probably close to the temperature at which regen starts coming back and the couple minutes of charging probably did it. In fact the car might have been heating the battery before charging and not actually charging in those two minutes.

Regen is not an on/off thing. As the battery heats up regen gradually comes in and augments until it hits the maximum value (85kW?). If you use regen while it's partially available the value lowers as you regen and goes back up when you accelerate.
You can see partial regen in action particularly if you have the blended brakes option on. On the regen bar you'll see a green portion (actual regen) and the remaining black bar is friction brakes.

You may have found a loophole in the logic which briefly changes the regen limitation immediately after charging, but why bother? Just turn on the brake blending and pretend regen works in all conditions. It's good to have the brakes get used every once in a while anyway - it reduces the rust buildup.