Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reevaluating my opinion of my M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to love my car, a 2019 dual motor M3. In 5 years it has had no mechanical issues. But.. I have had quite the experience with collision costs and headaches. A few months after I took delivery, I was hit by a drunk driver at 6am. The car drove away, but it was in the auto body shop for 6 months. It was a great day when it was returned to me. Here are some things I appreciate... always entering a 72 degree cabin, whether summer or winter. It's great in the snow. Love 1 foot driving. Now the stuff that's making be rethink things, as told through a recent experience. Last week an old lady bumped me. Literally a fender bender. I took it to an authorized Tesla auto body shop. One headlight may have some damage. The headlights, as I learned, are held in place with plastic tabs. One headlight is perfectly functional, however, a plastic tab has broke. I'll need a pair of new headlights, at a cost of just north of three thousand dollars. Add the remainder of the repair costs and I am at eight thousand. While we are talking about "cons" of the car, I've always appreciated a quiet car. If you drive a M3, you know it isn't quiet. The firm ride I have to take responsibility for ignoring when I bought the car, but it's too firm for me. Every road bump transfers kinetic energy through the headrest to my occiput. My head is in constant motion when driving, and I don't like that! Anyway, I may use this recent fender bender as an excuse to find a new car. I have my sights on a Lexus es300h. Its high points, for me, are cushy ride and quiet cabin. Can anyone relate to my experience are do I come across as less than relatable?

That Lexus will be just as expensive (probably more) than the Model 3 to repair. Add in maintenance on the ICE, and you are WAY beyond Tesla in O&M costs.
I got rear-ended in a 2018 Model 3 and the repair costs were not outrageous given the damage. In fact, my diminished value appraiser was surprised at reasonable costs. The parts themselves were surprising cheap compared to what I had seen from Toyota and German brands. As far as ride goes, the new Model 3 is supposed to be significantly quieter with a softer ride. I haven't driven it, but that's what I hear.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I traded in my 2019 M3 LR recently, for a 2024 MY LR. The Y is much quieter and cushier, though the real reason for trading in was spouse interest in easy entry/exit and cargo space. I find the Y less fun to drive, but it is far more pleasant. I've heard the new 3 is pleasant, but alas it was ruled out.

I suggest some test drives.

Interesting to know the newer cars from Tesla drive differently. Back when I bought mine I had to travel from Michigan to Indiana to take delivery and bought the car without driving one (Telsa was prohibited from selling cars direct-to-consumer in Michigan at that time). I have always felt safe in a Tesla, should there be a crash. Lot to think about. Thanks for replies.

I'll need a pair of new headlights, at a cost of just north of three thousand dollars. Add the remainder of the repair costs and I am at eight thousand.

Do you not have insurance? This is the result of a collision (just like your other repair costs you talk about). The cost is "your insurance deductible", as it relates to the car being repaired.

There isnt paragraph spacing in your post so its hard to read for me, but to me, all I am reading in your story is "I have been unlucky with accidents and the car isnt quiet, and the ride is too firm for me."

2nd update.
Wow! I drove the Model Y and loved it. The salesman insisted I drive the refreshed M3. The 2024 is a totally different car than my 2019. The ride is soft and even more quiet than the model Y. Impressive to say the least. I'm not an immediate fan of no stalks on the steering wheel. I had a rough time using the turn signals while the steering wheel was in motion (one turn immediately following a first turn). Also, I can imagine a busy parking lot, for example, where you would back out of a space and want to move the car from reverse to drive and must shift your eyes to the screen where the gear selector is now located. Anyway, the ride trumps all. It is amazing. Oh, in the end, I'm repairing my car and will keep driving a Tesla. I can't find anything else that can equal all the advantages of it (except an new Tesla : )).