Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reference consumption in Abetterrouteplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to decide between midrange and long range rwd, and also between 18 inch and 19 inch wheels. I find abetterrouteplanner to be an excellent tool trying to understand the consequences if the different options on some of my typical routes.

But the reference consumption at 65 mph that you have to type in is of course very important. In this page the developer estimates 232 wh/mi based in data points from cars: Tesla Model 3 Performance vs RWD consumption - Real Driving Data from 233 Cars

But the default setting is somewhat higher (239 for 18 inch aero and 286 for 19 inch). Did anybody use abetterrouteplanner so carefully that they can estimate what setting for reference comsumption gives the most precise prediction of range?

I do several 400 km trips a year. And typically one 4000 km road trip in the summer.

But if I can get a very precise reference consumption I think I will be helped a lot. I hoped somebody would have real life experience with different values.

I'm driving from Atlanta to Orlando tomorrow. What does the term "reference consumption" mean? We generally drive between 70 and 80 mph.

So what configuration do you drive?
With an LR+RWD I can generally get from Marietta to Tifton without stopping at the new Macon location (Tom Hill Rd), but some other configurations might require a quick top-up in Macon.

From Tifton, you should be able to make either Gainesville or Ocala on the next leg.
Then charge again as you approach Orlando, unless you have a good charging solution at your destination.

Florida has a higher density of Supercharger stations than Georgia.