Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral PW 1099's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

Just curious if anyone who had received a referral PW prior to 2019 knew approximately what Tesla puts on the 1099s, if they actually end up ever providing 1099s? Do they list the full PW/Gateway/$1000 install credit value or something less? Working on my 2019 taxes and am trying to anticipate what my PW referral I got last summer was going to look like.

Thanks!

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I guess I wasn’t as clear as I intended, I was specifically asking for inout from folks who had them installed in 2018 since they would have received 1099s last year.

from what I understand it’s FMV plus install cost because it’s a federal gift. It has a value greater when what you actually paid for.

I’m guessing you should use maybe $8000 as an estimate.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
Has anyone gotten a 1099 for this?? I never got and my accountant can’t process taxes without.

I heard that the might NOT issue 1099 because the referral Powerwalls are red, therefore NOT available to the public, and Tesla can simply value them as $0.
Please let me know! Thanks!

Tesla made me submit a W-9 form with my other paperwork for my PW + PV panel install started in December. They didn't finish by 12/31, so I'm not expecting a 2019 1099, but since they took my W-9 info, that would strongly imply they intend to issue a 1099 to me in 2020.

The PW is clearly a gift/award no different than if you went on a TV game show and won. All game show winners receive 1099s for tangible prizes = MSRP of the prize and almost every contest out there has fine print that says you'll get a 1099 at the end of the year for the estimated value of the prize won.

Eventually, Tesla is going to have to address this and potentially face a fine/penalty from the IRS for failure to issue/file 1099s in a timely manner. I'm guessing they'll "catch up" once the Roadsters start going out...

Increase in Information Return Penalties | Internal Revenue Service

As a taxpayer, you're still responsible for filing an accurate and complete return, regardless of if you didn't receive a 1099. You might be able to argue out of underpayment penalties, but the IRS will probably try to charge interest on the underpayment if/when you get audited and/or Tesla finally catches up and issues everyone their past due 1099s. Perhaps Tesla will do the right thing and also include monetary compensation to everyone for the interest charge on the underpayment of the PW value.

If I don't receive a 2020 1099 (my PW is being installed this month), I'm planning to go with the estimated retail value that was outlined in my installation contract paperwork - the discount shown on the contract for the "free" powerwall + GW.

Tesla made me submit a W-9 form with my other paperwork for my PW + PV panel install started in December. They didn't finish by 12/31, so I'm not expecting a 2019 1099, but since they took my W-9 info, that would strongly imply they intend to issue a 1099 to me in 2020.

The PW is clearly a gift/award no different than if you went on a TV game show and won. All game show winners receive 1099s for tangible prizes = MSRP of the prize and almost every contest out there has fine print that says you'll get a 1099 at the end of the year for the estimated value of the prize won.

Eventually, Tesla is going to have to address this and potentially face a fine/penalty from the IRS for failure to issue/file 1099s in a timely manner. I'm guessing they'll "catch up" once the Roadsters start going out...

Increase in Information Return Penalties | Internal Revenue Service

As a taxpayer, you're still responsible for filing an accurate and complete return, regardless of if you didn't receive a 1099. You might be able to argue out of underpayment penalties, but the IRS will probably try to charge interest on the underpayment if/when you get audited and/or Tesla finally catches up and issues everyone their past due 1099s. Perhaps Tesla will do the right thing and also include monetary compensation to everyone for the interest charge on the underpayment of the PW value.

If I don't receive a 2020 1099 (my PW is being installed this month), I'm planning to go with the estimated retail value that was outlined in my installation contract paperwork - the discount shown on the contract for the "free" powerwall + GW.

yeah, I took a swag at the value based on retail and reported that on my taxes. Safest thing to do.