Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Rear HVAC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have kids in my 2nd row (6 seat config). I find sometimes the rear HVAC turns on automatically and sometimes it doesn’t. Because it’s not consistent, I end up having to check if it’s on or not every time they ride in the car which is quite annoying. Does anyone know what logic the software is using to determine if it will turn in automatically or not?

I have one kid in a car seat permanently secured by a seat belt and tether. The other one is in a high back booster and buckles in and out when she rides.

You don't mention the year of your MX, but in the original X, the 2nd row A/C (middle vents) should be running any time the front is running while the third row and 2nd row outside vents only run when occupancy is detected in the third row. Also, the 5-seat model didn't even have outside vents on the second row, so they theoretically shouldn't be necessary to keep the second row comfortable regardless.

@tiznanya I'm running into the same issue (2022 MX 6-seater) - we have a Nuna Rava installed (rear facing) in the passenger's side 2nd row captain's seat and I'm having the same issue (rear HVAC not reliably coming on automatically). Have you solved the problem? If so, please let me know how. I included what I'm going to try below.

From what I've read elsewhere, the weight distribution of the car seat may not line up with where exactly in the seat the occupancy sensor is located, so what I plan to try is the following:

1. Remove the child seat and have my partner sit in that seat and not fasten her seatbelt
2. Put the car into drive, presumably prompting a seatbelt warning for that seat
3. Tap that seat on the seatbelt warning display that should show up in order to indicate that seat has a car seat vs. a person

I've read that the car will save that setting until you change it and should automatically turn on the rear HVAC from that point onward. Anyone else have any pointers?

@tiznanya I'm running into the same issue (2022 MX 6-seater) - we have a Nuna Rava installed (rear facing) in the passenger's side 2nd row captain's seat and I'm having the same issue (rear HVAC not reliably coming on automatically). Have you solved the problem? If so, please let me know how. I included what I'm going to try below.

From what I've read elsewhere, the weight distribution of the car seat may not line up with where exactly in the seat the occupancy sensor is located, so what I plan to try is the following:

1. Remove the child seat and have my partner sit in that seat and not fasten her seatbelt
2. Put the car into drive, presumably prompting a seatbelt warning for that seat
3. Tap that seat on the seatbelt warning display that should show up in order to indicate that seat has a car seat vs. a person

I've read that the car will save that setting until you change it and should automatically turn on the rear HVAC from that point onward. Anyone else have any pointers?
We also have a Nuna Rava (front facing). We haven’t found a solve yet so let me know if your work around fixes it!

Reactions: daftskunk
We also have a Nuna Rava (front facing). We haven’t found a solve yet so let me know if your work around fixes it!
Well I did two things:

1) As mentioned, unplugged the seatbelt and moved the Rava around so it made contact with the seat like a person would. Then I got into the drivers seat and put it into drive and the seatbelt warning screen popped up, and I tapped the warning icon over the seat with the Rava on it and it changed to the icon of a child seat. And it appears to have saved it because this morning I left my belt unfastened to get the warning to pop up again and it still showed a child seat in that seat!
2) Made sure the rear air was on and set to auto via the front screen

Since then, the rear air seems to be on every time I get in the car by default. Lmk if you have any success.

Well I did two things:

1) As mentioned, unplugged the seatbelt and moved the Rava around so it made contact with the seat like a person would. Then I got into the drivers seat and put it into drive and the seatbelt warning screen popped up, and I tapped the warning icon over the seat with the Rava on it and it changed to the icon of a child seat. And it appears to have saved it because this morning I left my belt unfastened to get the warning to pop up again and it still showed a child seat in that seat!
2) Made sure the rear air was on and set to auto via the front screen

Since then, the rear air seems to be on every time I get in the car by default. Lmk if you have any success.
Worked like a charm! Think it must be the Rava weight distribution not lining up with the sensors as you mentioned. I had my son sit in the chair without the car seat and he registered just fine.

Much happier with default rear air on 😊

• Love
Reactions: daftskunk