Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks- I forgot to mention that the other major voice in my head was reminding me of the parts shortage situation too. I think everyone should remember this when taking delivery of one of these things, despite what the SC claims... I think they're honest when they say that they can fix stuff, but the real question is when. In my situation the theoretical parts list was so long that it made sense (to me) to just wait for a new VIN. Would like to hear about the experience of someone taking the opposite road (repairs) though.
You will be a good data point for how long it takes to get a new VIN in this scenario.

Thanks- I forgot to mention that the other major voice in my head was reminding me of the parts shortage situation too. I think everyone should remember this when taking delivery of one of these things, despite what the SC claims... I think they're honest when they say that they can fix stuff, but the real question is when. In my situation the theoretical parts list was so long that it made sense (to me) to just wait for a new VIN. Would like to hear about the experience of someone taking the opposite road (repairs) though.
This is exactly why I posted my last post. The shortage is affecting recalls that could potentially be 'serious'. For cosmetic issues, they could take MUCH longer than a month or two to get the parts to fix as they don't see it as a 'priority'. So, I'm with you. I would have done the exact same regardless of how badly I want my MX to arrive.

Only a few, regrettably. I honestly think I subconsciously lowered the phone and stopped taking pictures after I realized I wasn't taking it. I guess I was too devastated. Really only have images of the FWD gashes and some missing plastic in the floor piece.
I'd like to understand the physics of how the FWD gashes even happened, especially on a brand new vehicle (there had to be a very limited amount of FWD closing cycles). Makes me think that they actually occurred during assembly.

I should emphasize that the SC folks were great. Really enjoyed working with them, and they seemed every bit as frustrated as I was that they were shipped a car in this condition. This experience hasn't been great given the need to reject, but still way better than working with a traditional car dealer. After I said I was rejecting the car, they had me carefully point out everything again in order to feed-back to corporate, so hopefully this experience did some good for future builds.

To sum it up: when you look at this particular car in person the overwhelming feeling is "wow, they need to slow down". It truly does look as if the assembly line was trying to find the minimum time it takes to build one of these things. It exactly reflects what Elon said (admitted to) during the Munro interview earlier this year (about the Model 3 ramp).
I would’ve passed too probably. I do NOT trust tesla service at all. 2 different centers have screwed me before. I will never again trust “ill order the parts and fix it later” nope nope nope.

received an email about the recall from Tesla as my M3 fits the issue. I immediately created a service ticket and next week was available. Kinda weird. But here is what happened after it was “cancelled by Tesla”. Hope our MXs don’t have any faulty harnesses as it’ll take 3 months to fix.

View attachment 750366
This exact issue happened to my M3P earlier this year. Mobile service easy fix in 30 minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: zapparino
Attempted to take delivery of an MX (6-seater) the other day, but sadly had to reject it. I honestly went in expecting a few issues and was hell-bent on taking the car home, but this was just too much. I had never seen a new car so poorly assembled in my life, and I'm not exactly a traditional high-end or luxury car buyer. Nothing catastrophic, but the list of cosmetic issues (Scratched glass. Paint drips. Chunks of plastic missing in interior trim. Visible yoke wire and pit on the surface. Mismatched bumper color. Exterior trim issues. Both FWD gaskets were gashed. Leather seats looked old and worn on the side. Car interior was filthy as far as brand new cars go.) was too much to stomach. I'd honestly be embarrassed to show it off to a friend or neighbor had I accepted it.

Oh well, back in the VIN pool. Hopefully these are "end of quarter" surge + new production ramp issues that'll get sorted quickly. Glad to see at least a few folks are getting keepers.
Sorry. That really sucks

Your experience has been my biggest worry as we await our VIN. I don’t recall hearing about a delivery refusal before and I’ll be interested to see how this all shakes out for you. Really takes the fun and excitement out of finally getting a new car when you immediately have to repair it — especially with a potentially LONG wait. If you’re going to be waiting anyway may as well wait for exactly what you want in the excellent condition you should expect.

Your experience has been my biggest worry as we await our VIN. I don’t recall hearing about a delivery refusal before and I’ll be interested to see how this all shakes out for you. Really takes the fun and excitement out of finally getting a new car when you immediately have to repair it — especially with a potentially LONG wait. If you’re going to be waiting anyway may as well wait for exactly what you want in the excellent condition you should expect.
Same here. I've had 7 BMWs and never has one single delivery issue. So I am really nervous about Tesla's delivery...But there are many who have no problems. Kinda glad I am not getting one now with the YE rush likely causing sloppiness.

In my case, my wife is my horn. Her yelling and rage trumps any horn. Only downside is she has to be with me for all trips.
... Another downside is that she is going to be reading this sometime today.... Better get your noise cancelling headset on!! (Make sure they have a fresh battery installed. )

C'mon guys, this is the refreshed Model X waiting room, not the boys' locker room. ;)

Bruce.

I'm sure someone did. The wait is so long that if I was in the back of the line I'd probably take it too. The SC said they could fix practically all of it, and I believed them. Just didn't have the stomach for it.
It would be really tough to walk away, but I agree you did exactly the right thing. Knowing Teslas service right now it would probably take many months and a lot of inconvenience to get everything fixed on the car. If a standard manufacturer delivered a car with any problems, you would be first on the service priority list to get it fixed. With Tesla, they don’t care. They are fine delivering a sub standard vehicle and then putting you in the back of the line to wait for service to get it fixed. The service centers are so overwhelmed the waits are long and many times parts are not available. I took delivery of a MY performance at the beginning of September with a major paint issue that we missed at delivery. It is now January 2022 and we are still waiting for it to be fixed (trunk needs to be repainted). It’s a bad situation and while you will likely have to wait a few more weeks, you should never accept any car, regardless of price, in such shoddy condition. Well done 👍🏼

Last edited:
It would be really tough to walk away, but I agree you did exactly the right thing. Knowing Teslas service right now it would probably take many months and a lot of inconvenience to get everything fixed on the car. If a standard manufacturer delivered a car with any problems, you would be first on the service priority list to get it fixed. With Tesla, they don’t care. They are fine delivering a sub standard vehicle and then putting you in the back of the line to wait for service to get it fixed. The service centers are so overwhelmed the waits are long and many times parts are not available. I took delivery of a MY performance at the beginning of September with a major paint issue that we missed at delivery. It is now January 2022 and we are still waiting for it to be fixed (trunk needs to be repainted). It’s a bad situation and while you will likely have to wait a few more weeks, you should never accept any car regardless of price in such shoddy condition. Well done 👍🏼
Yup. Add no loaners for some areas such as Houston and you'll be without a vehicle again for who knows how long. No thanks.

Reactions: zapparino
Same here. I've had 7 BMWs and never has one single delivery issue. So I am really nervous about Tesla's delivery...But there are many who have no problems. Kinda glad I am not getting one now with the YE rush likely causing sloppiness.
We have had a lot of BMWs (1 every 1.5 years for 20+ years) and also had a lot of issues on delivery and in the weeks after delivery. Usually really annoying things like rattles that are difficult to replicate. I used to have a picture of me with my head down on the passenger floor as my wife was driving down a country road. I found the source of the rattle. It was a mounting bracket behind the glove box. I pulled the glove box and retorqued the nut and the problem was solved! On our last BMW when we had squeaking noise in the dash the BMW service manager said "gee, those are hard to fix".

Last edited:
Attempted to take delivery of an MX (6-seater) the other day, but sadly had to reject it. I honestly went in expecting a few issues and was hell-bent on taking the car home, but this was just too much. I had never seen a new car so poorly assembled in my life, and I'm not exactly a traditional high-end or luxury car buyer. Nothing catastrophic, but the list of cosmetic issues (Scratched glass. Paint drips. Chunks of plastic missing in interior trim. Visible yoke wire and pit on the surface. Mismatched bumper color. Exterior trim issues. Both FWD gaskets were gashed. Leather seats looked old and worn on the side. Car interior was filthy as far as brand new cars go.) was too much to stomach. I'd honestly be embarrassed to show it off to a friend or neighbor had I accepted it.

Oh well, back in the VIN pool. Hopefully these are "end of quarter" surge + new production ramp issues that'll get sorted quickly. Glad to see at least a few folks are getting keepers.
@StrayTexel When did you order, when did you get your VIN, was it a 2022 and don’t worry I’m sure you will be on a “priority list”.

... continued
12/30/21 delivery done of 2022 Model X LR White FSD to San Diego at Carlsbad Tesla Service Center, they said it was the 3rd 2022 Model X delivered to San Diego, they had deliveries there today, models unknown, only 1 other model x seen in the waiting area.
@Jomomma How was the delivery experience at the Carlsbad center? I’ll be taking delivery of my X (whenever that will be) so any tips would be greatly appreciated!