Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery update
Took delivery today of LR 6-seat White/white 20" wheels
VIN 7SAXCBE53NF3542xx Build date 7/14
Originally scheduled 7/23 but it arrived early so no complaints. No matrix lights :( but with swivel screen.
Quality wise everything looks prefect except for a piece of alcantara sticking out of the falcon wing joint. I'll update if I find anything else

I feel you...I'm in a similar situation with just a "slight" twist! My order day was Mar 8, 2021 and the current EDD has been holding at 8/7 - 8/28. Now the twist, we are going to be out of the country, from 8/13 through 8/26 on a cruise that was planned over a year ago. It never even crossed my mind that I may have an issue with my X delivery during the 2 weeks I'll be out of the country. Surely I would have received my X long before I ended up with a conflict.

I've been exchanging emails with the KC SC Ops guy and basically he's telling me "tough noogies" they can't hold a car, deemed ready to deliver, for more than 3 days. After waiting for over 500 days that is a total garbage response from the Tesla policy, especially given that my EDD has changed at least 10 times, probably more. To add insult to injury, I have a friend who graciously agreed to inspect and take delivery of the car while we are out of the country. I just found out today, that Tesla can't issue the paperwork for my trade-in or resubmit my loan request until the VIN has been assigned, which makes the pickup by our friend a bit problematic. While we will have internet on the ship, I don't want to spend my days refreshing the app over and over looking for a VIN so that I can then have the process initiated. I'm hoping that the ship has a business center where I could print out, sign, scan and e-mail back, but haven't received confirmation yet that Tesla can accept that.

Who would have thunk it....
I was so worried that I was going to end up in your exact same situation when I took my cruise in April 2022. Looking back I can't believe how naïve I was thinking that my July 2021 order would get delivered by April 2022 😂

Sounds like a good idea to buy the fob for that need. The two fobs I received three weeks ago with delivery remain in a drawer, unused from day one. I think that’s Tesla’s point - If you need them, buy them, but in many cases they are wasting money by providing them to people who don’t want them and won’t ever use them. Same with the mobile charger.
So i wish they can take price away that including the key fobs or something else...since they count every cents so we should do it too.

Delivery update
Took delivery today of LR 6-seat White/white 20" wheels
VIN 7SAXCBE53NF3542xx Build date 7/14
Originally scheduled 7/23 but it arrived early so no complaints. No matrix lights :( but with swivel screen.
Quality wise everything looks prefect except for a piece of alcantara sticking out of the falcon wing joint. I'll update if I find anything else
Did you get key fobs at delivery?

I was so worried that I was going to end up in your exact same situation when I took my cruise in April 2022. Looking back I can't believe how naïve I was thinking that my July 2021 order would get delivered by April 2022 😂
Yeah that's my dilemma! How real is the EDD this time??? According to the KC SC Ops person, he's saying VIN assignment is still slated for the very end of July. Being that's just a few days away and the EDD range has been static, my naive self is saying this time it's real... 🤣🤣

Tomorrow is day 500!

Last edited:
My EDD just changed to TBD. Previously it was Nov 2022 - Jan 2023.

1658360301245.png

Took my delivery today in Austin, Blue, 7 Seater, FSD (May 2021 order). It's beautiful, built well and no alignment issues. Found 2 concerns

1. Found glue on the rear fin and will be taken care of by the service team
2. At the windshield's camera module glass has some rub marks from the inside so will have to speak with the service tech.

Other than that it's an amazing machine. Got the mobile connector, USB 128 GB drive, 2 key cards, 2 Key fobs (Yes I got them) and the towing hitch.

My vehicle build date was 6/30.

When did you order? I think it’s May 21 and earlier that got hit with this. I’m a day one order.
I have a May 21 order and got forced on hold. I went through the account to say “I’m Ready” and now my app looks like this. Everything about this waiting experience since January has me feeling like I’m going to get screwed over and not get the car at the price I reserved it for.

Attachments

• D27FDB6B-5066-4566-B64B-D648996C0481.jpeg
    D27FDB6B-5066-4566-B64B-D648996C0481.jpeg
    482.9 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: 1pinhigh and Elixir
I have a May 21 order and got forced on hold. I went through the account to say “I’m Ready” and now my app looks like this. Everything about this waiting experience since January has me feeling like I’m going to get screwed over and not get the car at the price I reserved it for.
I’m sure you’ll get it for the price you reserved it for. The app does stuff like that sometimes. This is my app and I’m equally unhappy with this waiting experience. Also May 21 order

Attachments

• 3D51EAF3-D2E0-4ABF-B705-648C56628747.jpeg
    3D51EAF3-D2E0-4ABF-B705-648C56628747.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 80
The email when the status is "On hold" says:

"If your order remains on hold on <date> or is placed on hold again, we will assume that you no longer wish to take delivery. Your order will be automatically canceled and your order fee forfeited."

Not sure I understand the words highlighted in red. Does that mean they can still place another hold and cancel our order?
I think that means this counts as your one free hold, and if you try to put it on hold again after this, they will cancel your order, which is pretty BS.

But you can still buy them from the online store. I would think if it was a supply chain problem then they wouldn't be available to purchase. I bet there will be an uptick in store purchases soon since the key fob is much more functional for the X than it is for the other models.
It is still possible it is supply chain motivated. They sell ~8k model Xs a quarter, so x2 fobs is 16k fobs per quarter. Assuming not everyone needs them, and people that have to pay extra are even less likely to order one, the number of fobs they need will probably be far less than that. It is also easier to backorder someone's fob order if needed than the entire Model X order.

My guess is it is something like 70% price motivated and 30% supply chain motivated.