Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S and Plaid Vibration demographics

Only if your refreshed MS/Plaid has the reported ~43MPH vibration: What vintage is your car?

• First half 2021

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Second half 2021 (2021 model year, not 2022)

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Late 2021, but model year 2022 car

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • First half 2022; 2022 model year car

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Your input is needed for a ongoing vibration experiment discussed here.

Reactions: mswlogo
Thank you for posting this poll.
I would think if newer cars had this fix Service would know what to do with earlier cars. And apparently they don’t. With sone reports of “it’s normal” from Service.

Reactions: jebinc
I think a few different types of vibration have been described. I previously thought I didn't have it, but as with some of the other reported gremlins like the yoke buzz, when I tried really hard to find it, it was there. Mine is a very very subtle lugging feeling at steady, light throttle around 43mph. It's virtually unnoticeable unless I really try to keep my speed in the right zone with very gentle acceleration. It doesn't bother me.

My car is always in Low, and I also lowered it with the N2itive links by about 1" at around 1300 miles. I floor it frequently but have only done one or two actual launch mode launches. November build, NF460 VIN.

I think a few different types of vibration have been described. I previously thought I didn't have it, but as with some of the other reported gremlins like the yoke buzz, when I tried really hard to find it, it was there. Mine is a very very subtle lugging feeling at steady, light throttle around 43mph. It's virtually unnoticeable unless I really try to keep my speed in the right zone with very gentle acceleration. It doesn't bother me.

My car is always in Low, and I also lowered it with the N2itive links by about 1" at around 1300 miles. I floor it frequently but have only done one or two actual launch mode launches. November build, NF460 VIN.

Interesting. So even keeping the car in Low does not fully solve this issue. Perhaps it just lessens the effect for a greater period of time...

I have the vibration issue and its a 2022. Took delivery Feb 15, 2022.
@jlope001 Thank you for sharing. Can you describe your vibration and the conditions in which it occurs?

@jlope001 Thank you for sharing. Can you describe your vibration and the conditions in which it occurs?

I am having vibration on my 2022 S plaid first minute then goes away.

My LR has the vibration issue. Feb 12 2022 delivery date. I played around w/ various settings, it seems my car is at its smoothest when I set the suspension to low, advanced suspension -> ride comfort to soft, and handling to comfort.

Not sure if it's related, but when I do floor it occasionally, sometimes I get noticeable vibration in the yoke even at higher speeds. I've driven a few loaners (P90Ds) and it's buttery smooth acceleration all the way. My theory is the vibration at ~43 gets amplified when you don't let go the pedal and the vibration doesn't get a chance to die off.

To be perfectly honest, the occasional hard acceleration vibration bothers me more, even though I don't do it very often. In any case, from following this thread and a couple of other threads that the vibration does go away w/ further lowering (w/ lowering links) and/or track mode that favors rear motor? It makes me hopeful that it could be solved by software one day - I would gladly trade off a few tenth of seconds 0-60 for buttery smooth acceleration at all speeds.

My LR has the vibration issue. Feb 12 2022 delivery date. I played around w/ various settings, it seems my car is at its smoothest when I set the suspension to low, advanced suspension -> ride comfort to soft, and handling to comfort.

Not sure if it's related, but when I do floor it occasionally, sometimes I get noticeable vibration in the yoke even at higher speeds. I've driven a few loaners (P90Ds) and it's buttery smooth acceleration all the way. My theory is the vibration at ~43 gets amplified when you don't let go the pedal and the vibration doesn't get a chance to die off.

To be perfectly honest, the occasional hard acceleration vibration bothers me more, even though I don't do it very often. In any case, from following this thread and a couple of other threads that the vibration does go away w/ further lowering (w/ lowering links) and/or track mode that favors rear motor? It makes me hopeful that it could be solved by software one day - I would gladly trade off a few tenth of seconds 0-60 for buttery smooth acceleration at all speeds.
Yes at full acceleration there’s a resonance/vibration through the whole car. My 2021 Plaid had it, and my 2022 Plaid does too. I don’t mind that since this is a LOT of power surge and is kinda/sorta part of the experience. The general vibration at ~40mph+ when just cruising is way more frustrating (for me at least).

Yes at full acceleration there’s a resonance/vibration through the whole car. My 2021 Plaid had it, and my 2022 Plaid does too. I don’t mind that since this is a LOT of power surge and is kinda/sorta part of the experience. The general vibration at ~40mph+ when just cruising is way more frustrating (for me at least).
I would've accepted it as par for the course as well EXCEPT I've driven a few P90D loaners that have buttery acceleration all the way. Bear in mind as loaners they were most likely hard driven and not well taken care of. The loaner (2nd P90D) I have now has almost 70k miles yet I can NOT make it vibrate at all at any speed (although it feels a little bit floaty when flooring it.) Overall I would not trade my current S for the P90D but it just shows what's possible.

I would've accepted it as par for the course as well EXCEPT I've driven a few P90D loaners that have buttery acceleration all the way. Bear in mind as loaners they were most likely hard driven and not well taken care of. The loaner (2nd P90D) I have now has almost 70k miles yet I can NOT make it vibrate at all at any speed (although it feels a little bit floaty when flooring it.) Overall I would not trade my current S for the P90D but it just shows what's possible.
I hear you. But the Plaid is making a LOT more power than a P90D, for example. The LR, though… that’s a different story…

Reactions: paulchou