Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Tesla Model X issues: frozen camera, brake fault, high voltage system fault, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suggest everyone who was able to reproduce the issue after a long trip to schedule a service appointment at the same service center. This would allow them to quickly try different solutions and then apply the working one (if it even exists) to every malfunctioning car. Technicians at Tesla Service in Santa Clara are already working on the issue. Ask for Zane when you come there.

Tesla Service - Santa Clara
2801 Northwestern Pkwy
Santa Clara, CA 95051
United States

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
i'm not convinced it's a overheating/cooling thing. but i'm willing to see more evidence to that idea.
For me, it was the supercharging that kicked off my issues. Both times the problem happened after supercharging. Once under shade and once in direct sunlight. After a reboot while on the road, it fixed the problem. Not sure if heat can dissipate that fast (3-4 minute restart) but yea maybe the cabin can cool the screen in that time. We were in the car for both supercharging sessions, and so the cabin wasn't that hot to begin with.

i'm sure this is a tough gremlin to track down, since the screen is just frozen and not totally obliterated. A restart fixes the problem. It's strange.

i'm not convinced it's a overheating/cooling thing. but i'm willing to see more evidence to that idea.
For me, it was the supercharging that kicked off my issues. Both times the problem happened after supercharging. Once under shade and once in direct sunlight. After a reboot while on the road, it fixed the problem. Not sure if heat can dissipate that fast (3-4 minute restart) but yea maybe the cabin can cool the screen in that time. We were in the car for both supercharging sessions, and so the cabin wasn't that hot to begin with.

i'm sure this is a tough gremlin to track down, since the screen is just frozen and not totally obliterated. A restart fixes the problem. It's strange.
The restart fixes the symptoms of the issue only temporarily. For me without a cool down, it reoccurs pretty quickly, especially if the backup camera is turned on. The overheating and throttling occur in the computer chips - the weather and cabin temperature do not really contribute to this problem.

Last edited:
The restart fixes the symptoms of the issue only temporarily. For me without a cool down, it reoccurs pretty quickly, especially if the backup camera is turned on. The overheating and throttling occur in the computer chips - the weather and cabin temperature do not really contribute to this problem.
For me tha reset seemed to cure it “permanently” until the next supercharge. I drove over 3.5 hours immediately after resetting and it didn’t recur

For me tha reset seemed to cure it “permanently” until the next supercharge. I drove over 3.5 hours immediately after resetting and it didn’t recur
I agree with this. I have been able to successfully reset every time. My reset is a Scroll Wheels + Brake reboot. After the reboot, I can drive for hours until I put in reverse and bring up the backup camera.

BTW, I have a service appointment in Roswell, GA next week. They ordered a new computer and stated they were planning on replacing computer. They did state that the processor was overheating. Again, this is Tesla's terminology. We'll see what they do next week.

Reactions: jc368
I pushed both scroll wheels and brake and hold until the Tesla sign comes up on the screen. But I have to do it twice. The first time I get a white Tesla symbol on a black screen. This doesn’t fix it. Then I do it immediately again and I get a black Tesla sign on a white screen and this fixes it.

• Helpful
I agree with this. I have been able to successfully reset every time. My reset is a Scroll Wheels + Brake reboot. After the reboot, I can drive for hours until I put in reverse and bring up the backup camera.
The issue occurs before the symptoms! When you turn on the backup camera, you trigger the symptoms - not the issue that occurred long before. The symptoms appear only when the CPU load increases. But the overheating and throttling may occur hours before. I understand this process in detail as a computer engineer.

Last edited:
I pushed both scroll wheels and brake and hold until the Tesla sign comes up on the screen. But I have to do it twice. The first time I get a white Tesla symbol on a black screen. This doesn’t fix it. Then I do it immediately again and I get a black Tesla sign on a white screen and this fixes it.
That's an interesting finding about the black versus white screen during the reset!

In an effort to try to find other similarities between our vehicles, I would be interested as to whether any of you have other smaller issues, that I am seeing.

1. GPS is off marginally and inconsistently. If you zoom in as far as possible on nav, is your GPS spot-on. Mine at times shows me driving down the sidewalk. At first I thought it was a map issue. However sometimes it’s fine in same location. Can be off by up to 30 feet. Causes havoc with Homelink.

2. Viewing Sentry mode cameras from app. Swapping between camera takes up to 10 seconds. Sometimes it won’t change at all. That’s way too long. My MYLR swaps between cameras in about 2 seconds. It’s pretty snappy on MYLR.

BTW, I have a service appointment in Roswell, GA next week. They ordered a new computer and stated they were planning on replacing computer. They did state that the processor was overheating. Again, this is Tesla's terminology. We'll see what they do next week.
When you get your invoice, please post the exact part they replaced. For my car, they replaced “ASY RIGHT CONTROLLER GEN 4”, but this what what they thought caused the seat restraint fault.

Reactions: mr-dmitry
When you get your invoice, please post the exact part they replaced. For my car, they replaced “ASY RIGHT CONTROLLER GEN 4”, but this what what they thought caused the seat restraint fault.

Will do.

Related to previous post, I have 2022.12.3.1 installed and traveling to Nashville on Friday. Will definitely be able to reproduce I expect. Tesla support asked me to logged bug reports as I reproduce.

My SC visit is after I return.

Reactions: jc368
I drove for 60 minutes, preconditioning all the way, to a V3 supercharger today and my car did not freak out. I peaked at 230 kW and charged for 25 minutes. Everything still works. I’m on 2022.12.3.1. It’s the first SC session I’ve had where the car acted normal.

Interesting. I'll know for sure this weekend after my trip. I have been easily able to reproduce on all my trips so far on 2022.8.3 & 2022.12.1. Have not tested on 2022.12.3.1 yet. I'll be shocked but pleasantly surprised if I don't see the issue this weekend.

I drove for 60 minutes, preconditioning all the way, to a V3 supercharger today and my car did not freak out. I peaked at 230 kW and charged for 25 minutes. Everything still works. I’m on 2022.12.3.1. It’s the first SC session I’ve had where the car acted normal.
Argh, spoke too soon. 5 minutes after leaving the SC, the car beeped, screens went **black**, backup gear controls appeared next to the phone chargers. Main screen came back almost immediately but dash screen stayed black. Forced reboot fixed it. Logged the bug and will contact service (again).

Interesting. I'll know for sure this weekend after my trip. I have been easily able to reproduce on all my trips so far on 2022.8.3 & 2022.12.1. Have not tested on 2022.12.3.1 yet. I'll be shocked but pleasantly surprised if I don't see the issue this weekend.
My charging session went fine but the screens crashed 5 minutes after I left. The behavior was markedly different than before though. They literally turned off—not the weird warnings like before.

Could you please describe how you reset the car?

That's an interesting finding about the black versus white screen during the reset!
I'm not sure how serious you are and you are always saying you are software engineer but what you said and what you know don't match at all.
On the internet, no body would be you say who you are.
This is an example most of Tesla owners know how to reset the MCU unless they don't have any issue at all.

I'm not sure how serious you are and you are always saying you are software engineer but what you said and what you know don't match at all.
On the internet, no body would be you say who you are.
This is an example most of Tesla owners know how to reset the MCU unless they don't have any issue at all.
Stop your unjustified negativity. There are at least 4 ways how to reset the car, and they produce different results. Not all of them resolve all the issues caused by the computer overheating.