Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REFUEL 2016, May 22 Laguna Seca

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
Electric Vehicles Charge Back to MAZDA Raceway Laguna Seca for REFUEL 2016

Speed Ventures presents the 8th Annual REFUEL Clean Power Motorsports Event at MAZDA Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey, California, on Sunday, May 22, 2016.

Now in its eighth year, REFUEL welcomes electric cars and motorcycles to MAZDA Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey, California, to showcase clean power transportation technology in a motorsports setting. Presented by Speed Ventures, California’s leading recreational motorsports sanctioning body, REFUEL is an opportunity to push the boundaries of EV performance.

Speed Ventures will provide track time and basic performance driving instruction for drivers of electric cars and riders of electric motorcycles. The event is open to production EVs as well as to conversions and purpose*built all*electric race cars.

We expect this year to be the most competitive yet in the all*electric REFUEL Time Trial competition which includes classes for production vehicles, conversions, and prototypes. Pro and amateur EV race teams are poised to set lap records at the world famous MAZDA Raceway Laguna Seca.

The REFUEL 2016 Clean Power Motorsports Event will offer the following:

• Drive your EV, Electric Motorcycle, or Electric Kart on MAZDA Raceway Laguna Seca at speed and receive basic performance driving instruction

• Participate in the REFUEL Time Trial to see who is the fastest EV driver at MAZDA Raceway

• A Parade Lap on The World Famous MAZDA Raceway Laguna Seca is open to all EVs in attendance (low speed, passengers are allowed, no helmets required)

• Free charging stations for REFUEL track and Time Trial participants (charging is available to participants only)

About Speed Ventures

Since 2001, Speed Ventures has become one of the largest recreational motorsports organizations in the U.S. introducing thousands of drivers to the sport of road*racing at events held year* round on the best tracks in California, Nevada, Texas, and beyond. Speed Ventures provides practice and test days, instruction for beginners, time trial competitions and wheel*to*wheel racing. Speed Ventures also hosts corporate and media events and partners with a number of other racing organizations.

refuel_2014_10.jpg

REFUEL website: REFUEL 2016 - Clean Power Motorsports Event

Reactions: SCW-Greg
I just don't understand the idea of tape over the headlights unless you plan on crashing or following someone off the track and then it isn't going to help much anyway.

I put tape on my car in front of the rear wheels one time for autocross then never again, typical road driving is far worse.

what do I need to know to do this next year?
where can I see footage of the 2016 racing?

sign ups are sometime in early April. Just need a helmet but you can rent them if you don't have one.

anyone take a picture of the timing sheets this year?
was anyone faster in a D than non D yet?

Jeff's Cobra-~1:56!

Last edited:
That looks like fun. I've only done parade laps at Laguna Seca. So I am thinking of participating in this event next year in my Roadster. I should have the 3.0 battery by then. But I sure won't be pushing it to hard through the corners. I can't afford to wreck my car. It will be more for the experience of speed on the straights then trying to make the best possible times.

I just don't understand the idea of tape over the headlights unless you plan on crashing or following someone off the track and then it isn't going to help much anyway.

I put tape on my car in front of the rear wheels one time for autocross then never again, typical road driving is far worse.

sign ups are sometime in early April. Just need a helmet but you can rent them if you don't have one.

anyone take a picture of the timing sheets this year?
was anyone faster in a D than non D yet?

Jeff's Cobra-~1:56!

Yes, it was a lot of fun and the first track day for my new conversion. It was also my first track day in two years and the Cobra was much better than me ! It will take several more track days to find its limits.
Jeff

Yes, it was a lot of fun and the first track day for my new conversion. It was also my first track day in two years and the Cobra was much better than me ! It will take several more track days to find its limits.
Jeff
Sweet!
Not a bad lap. Do you get power limited, and how much exactly? I kind of want to run my p85 again and try to hold off on the first straight because by turn 5 I was pretty limited and think I barely cracked 70mph on the hill climb. By the final straight I maybe hit 70 & just barely broke 1:57. Did have a really crappy turn at the beginning so it wasn't too bad considering

Sweet!
Not a bad lap. Do you get power limited, and how much exactly? I kind of want to run my p85 again and try to hold off on the first straight because by turn 5 I was pretty limited and think I barely cracked 70mph on the hill climb. By the final straight I maybe hit 70 & just barely broke 1:57. Did have a really crappy turn at the beginning so it wasn't too bad considering

I didn't get power limited(series dc) , did get past the torque peak of my motor and acceleration past 80mph really slowed down. I will be going to a 2.73 final gear from the 3.08 im currently running. The motor did get really hot and im currently looking at ways to remedy this. Im already using dry ice.

Jeff