TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Refurbished Wheels

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MBX5, Sep 28, 2015.

1. MBX5

MBX5 Member

Any issues with buying refurbished/reconditioned wheels? My order just went into confirmed status and am now regretting not getting the 21's (yes, I've read all the negative feedback on them, but aesthetically, I just can't get past staring every time I see a set of staggered 21's on the road). There are some decent deals online for refurbished wheels and I was thinking of buying a set to try, but hold on to my stock 19's for a while and then if I don't like them, I'll just re-sell the 21's. Assuming the wheels are coming from a reputable shop with good feedback does anyone see any issues with this approach?

2. Ditpixs

Ditpixs Member

I can't speak to anything besides my experience with this Ebay vendor (No affiliation), but I purchased a refurb 21" wheel from them when one of mine cracked and it has been fine so far.

power-wheel on eBay

3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I'm going to bet that most of the 21" wheels you see aren't "staggered"! The staggered 21" wheel setup only came on P85+ and a few early P85Ds. All the rest are 8.5"x21" wheels and 245 mm width tires all-around (stock, that is). Also, the staggered rear wheels are only 3/4" of an inch WIDER than the front wheels. So you'd have to have pretty amazing eyesight to see the difference. ;)

That said, I *LOVE* the 21" rims. I wouldn't have bought them if I ordered a car new (being in the northeast), but they came with the Inventory car I bought. I put 19" wheels and all-seasons on in the winter, but I can't wait for spring to throw the 21"'ers on.

4. MBX5

MBX5 Member

#4 MBX5, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Thanks. That is good feedback. The wheels say that the fronts are 8.5 wide and the backs are 9.0 wide. I believe that is the staggered setup, but if not, I'd love to know!

Regarding the appearance, especially if you are behind the car, the half inch difference on a staggered setup (or whatever it is) from 8.5's/245's all around is pretty noticeable - to my eye, at least.

5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Yeah, that's right. if you're looking for the staggered setup, that's what you want. Just be aware that the tire selection for that is *extremely* limited if you want to go with something other than the stock PS2s. You also can't rotate them with directional tires.

That's why I ditched the 9" rear rims and went with 8.5" all around (and 245s) so I could buy better tires and rotate them as needed.

What Model S are you getting?

6. MBX5

MBX5 Member

Thanks for your help! That makes a lot of sense re: going 245 all around. I am getting the P90D (non-L). Thanks again.

7. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I have both 21 and 19. I have refurbished (PVD Black Chromed) both sets and they are awesome.

8. Vgsllc1

Vgsllc1 Member

21" has amazing looks and traction compare to the 19".
    I recommend buying from individuals on this website, ebay or craiglists.

It is risky to buy cheap refurbished wheels. Unless you like cheap coin flips.

I clean the 21" wheels once a month, it takes me 15 min to clean all the brake dirt. it is always dreadful when i stuck my hands between the spokes. Afraid of the car might move and snap my hands off.