Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking reduced after driving several miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after driving several miles (starting from ~80% charged at around 45F or 7C outside temperature) and on the highway at the time, the "regenerative braking reduced" notice popped up. What would be the reason for it under these conditions?

If you car's maximum charge was set to 80% prior to the start of your trip, then this would be normal. The way the car is designed, regenerative braking will be reduced as your car gets very close to that 80% mark. You say you only drove several miles, so it all sounds normal to me. I charge my car to 80% most of the time. I have a 10 mile drive to the nearest supermarket and it's all downhill, so I get the "regenerative braking reduced" message all the time when I leave the house with a SOC approaching 80%. Nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0
If you car's maximum charge was set to 80% prior to the start of your trip, then this would be normal. The way the car is designed, regenerative braking will be reduced as your car gets very close to that 80% mark. You say you only drove several miles, so it all sounds normal to me. I charge my car to 80% most of the time. I have a 10 mile drive to the nearest supermarket and it's all downhill, so I get the "regenerative braking reduced" message all the time when I leave the house with a SOC approaching 80%. Nothing to worry about.

I think that's not what happened. They're saying after they had been driving the notification came on. If it was because of high state of charge it would be on immediately.

I suspect the battery temperature came down because it's so cold outside and the car couldn't scavenge much heat from the motors to warm the battery pack. Probably didn't reduce regen by much. You can see how much regen is possible by looking at the solid or dashed lines on the left side of the power indicator. Solid is how much power can be used as regen - dashed is what isn't available for whatever reason.

img_0349.jpg

Reactions: Bpay and rpiotro
Upvote 0
The real question would be: what was your BATTERY temperature when you started driving, but you cannot answer that question unless you have ScanMyTesla or another such CAN bus reader. It is possible that your battery temperature went down as you drive. 2021 plus models scavenge heat from the battery to heat the cabin. They do it less now but they will do it.

I've had cases where I had zero regen when I left home (battery under freezing), I drove a bit and parked somewhere for an errand, and when I left from that errand the battery was now slightly above freezing and I got the regen reduced message on that second drive. The message isn't perfect yet :)

Upvote 0
The charging target was 100% (LFP battery), but the car was at around 80% (not plugged in) when leaving (and around 78% when the regenerative braking reduced message showed up).

However, it was in a garage (not heated) before leaving. Perhaps the air cooling effect of higher speed highway driving cooled the battery to where regenerative braking must be reduced?

The reduction in regeneration was not that much, since I was still able to one-pedal the rest of the way (other than foot on the brake after stopping at red lights).

Upvote 0
Just don't worry about the message. Some people probably complained enough that they got scared when the car slowed less than usual that Tesla decided to put up a message. If you live in a cold climate you should simply be aware that a cold battery will regen less, to the point that a frozen battery will not regen at all. Once you know, you're careful at the first stop and you adapt your driving. That's all there is to it.

Reactions: Bpay and Shelburne
Upvote 0
Just don't worry about the message. Some people probably complained enough that they got scared when the car slowed less than usual that Tesla decided to put up a message. If you live in a cold climate you should simply be aware that a cold battery will regen less, to the point that a frozen battery will not regen at all. Once you know, you're careful at the first stop and you adapt your driving. That's all there is to it.
And when the temps are very cold regen is zero. Fascinating how well the car can coast. Very low rolling and wind resistance. It seems to go on forever. It caught me off guard the first time.

Reactions: Bpay and GtiMart
Upvote 0