Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative Braking Settings Not Present

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

240vPlug

Feb 3, 2021
Maryland
All I took delivery of the MY yesterday morning. I am really excited to be part of the Tesla family now!

One issue I have which is very important to me is regen. The regen on my MY seems much weaker than the one I test drove about a month ago. There are a lot of dots on the bar on the left side of the touch screen (it changes back and forth and the best it has shown is about 5 dots) and there is no regen setting in the menus???

I'm coming from a Bolt and I want the strongest possible regen for one pedal driving. Any advice?

I'm on software 2020.47.10.1.1

Last edited:
All I took delivery of the MY yesterday morning. I am really excited to be part of the Tesla family now!

One issue I have which is very important to me is regen. The regen on my MY seems much weaker than the one I test drove about a month ago. There are a lot of dots on the bar on the left side of the touch screen (it changes back and forth and the best it has shown is about 5 dots) and there is no regen setting in the menus???

I'm coming from a Bolt and I want the strongest possible regen for one pedal driving. Any advice?

I'm on software 2020.47.10.1.1
The regen is limited by the temperature. Once the battery warms those dots will go away. On these very cold days the dots may never entirely disappear. The model Y does not have a manual regen setting.

Reactions: Big Earl
There is no update coming for what you're looking for. It was removed on newer Tesla's. The symptom the OP is describing is what @GlmnAlyAirCar said. Due to temperature. Try to end your charging if possible right before you leave along with a car conditioned to your liking. This along with driving will improve regen. If it is really really cold it takes a long time.

Also the test drive you took was more than likely a car that was driven for many drives or just charged up. Those test drives are often very free spirited which also warms the pack.

Regenerative braking control missing

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaLounge/comments/jirtjv/no_regenerative_breaking_option_on_new_model_y/

Tesla mysteriously removes regenerative braking strength option in new cars - Electrek

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
This is unfortunate. Desired regen level really varies from person to person. Someone like myself prefers the strongest possible regen for one pedal driving and maximum efficiency. Others may prefer a lower level of regen more similar to what they experience when driving an ice. My Bolt EV had really strong regen when in L mode and it could even be increased on demand by using a paddle on the steering wheel. This and Android Auto are the only two things I feel like the bolt did better than Tesla. It's not enough to make me want to go back to the bolt though.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Yeah, coming from a Bolt (which I still have; I replaced my other ICE car with the Y), the regen when cold is disappointing. They appear to have written it to just reduce the acceleration by a fixed percentage across the board. I would rather it were power-limited, so at lower speeds you would still get full regen. That would protect the battery just as well, but still bring you to a complete stop in a reasonable time. It would be useful for those of us who understand that using the friction brakes is a moral failing.

Also, I kind of wonder what the deal is with the Bolt. Do they just power it through the battery, and does that affect battery life? Or do they have some big honking resistors to handle some of the power when the battery is cold?

Reactions: 240vPlug
This is unfortunate. Desired regen level really varies from person to person. Someone like myself prefers the strongest possible regen for one pedal driving and maximum efficiency. Others may prefer a lower level of regen more similar to what they experience when driving an ice. My Bolt EV had really strong regen when in L mode and it could even be increased on demand by using a paddle on the steering wheel. This and Android Auto are the only two things I feel like the bolt did better than Tesla. It's not enough to make me want to go back to the bolt though.

I have a short list of things the Bolt has the advantage on:
  • Strong regen, even with cold battery
  • Regen-increase paddle
  • Android Auto/CarPlay (not a big deal for me, but some like it)
  • Synthesized birds-eye view
  • Easier to park (because shorter, which is hardly a fair comparison but for going downtown it is an advantage)
  • Reverse drives like an automatic (personal preference; I find it easier to control than one-pedal in the Y)
  • Lane change warning lights in side mirrors
  • Price
My wife and I find the combination of a Bolt and a Model Y to meet 100% of our needs much better than having an ICE car in the mix. For a two-car family they are pretty nicely complementary.

Reactions: EchoDelta
What? This is new to me no regen control? Try setting the car to “hold” mode. Tap car icon > driving>

My 2021 LR AWD still has regen control.
Part of the difference on your bolt could be you only charged to 80%. Try charging to 80% in the model y and see if regen is better from the start.

What? This is new to me no regen control? Try setting the car to “hold” mode. Tap car icon > driving>

Part of the difference on your bolt could be you only charged to 80%. Try charging to 80% in the model y and see if regen is better from the start.

I do have that under "stopping mode" but I was under the impression that doesn't control regen. I just took delivery yesterday and it's been about 25F the whole time. I have driven it about 130 miles and the least number of dots has been about five. I did get the message once or twice about reduced regen and to drive more.

If I could have my way there would be at least three regen settings. Maximum, Standard, and Minimum. I can't imagine the bolt is able to do a better job at managing regen then Tesla. I think what is going on here is Tesla is limiting regen in the cold to prevent slipping when the brakes aren't being applied. I have no evidence of this though.

My wife and I find the combination of a Bolt and a Model Y to meet 100% of our needs much better than having an ICE car in the mix. For a two-car family they are pretty nicely complementary.
There are some features missing in Tesla that i really liked in other EVs
My all time favorite is radar-sensitive regen (MB B-Class): Regen power smoothly increases as you get closer to another vehicle in front of you.

I think the change was made closer to the refresh mid-year with the metal scroll wheels and the auto dimming mirrors.

I think the change was made closer to the refresh mid-year with the metal scroll wheels and the auto dimming mirrors.
I stand corrected. It indeed does not have regen settings in the UI. The model y in warmer climates has pretty aggressive regen. Looks like the op is from Maryland I’m sure it’s quite cold there right now. Try charging to only 80% or 85% and precondition for 10 min before getting in to drive.