Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected delivery yesterday, should I accept if they fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rejected delivery of LR AWD. This morning, via email, they said they could fix the paint chip and asked if I still wanted it.

Here's the list of cosmetic issues I had, and what I'm thinking of asking before accepting a delivery retry (side note: i didn't check for any missing clips or to ensure electronics are working)

Welcome opinions on what you would do and if I'm being too harsh about perfection
  • Ask to be fixed pre delivery
    • Paint chip near bottom of rear passenger door. photo: paint chip on door edge.jpg
    • Scratch on passenger door trim: photo: scratched trim.jpg
    • Small panel next to driver side mirror, paint looks faded & a small amount of rubber on the bottom of the panel is sticking out compared to passenger side panel
  • Ask that they try to be fixed, live with it otherwise:
    • Rear trunk is slightly misaligned - left side has larger gap and a bit higher up -- guessing (didn't measure) its a 2mm diff compared to left side
      Random bumps in rubber seal inside doors/trunk
  • Ask to be cleaned up pre-delivery
    • ~5 small spots that looked like scratches butt DA said were wax residue. Would like to 'prove' it is and not scratches, smudges. One of these was on the windshield glass and one on the headlamp -- areas that I woudn't expect waxed?
    • lots of white powder in rear trunk well

I rejected delivery of LR AWD. This morning, via email, they said they could fix the paint chip and asked if I still wanted it.

Here's the list of cosmetic issues I had, and what I'm thinking of asking before accepting a delivery retry (side note: i didn't check for any missing clips or to ensure electronics are working)

Welcome opinions on what you would do and if I'm being too harsh about perfection
  • Ask to be fixed pre delivery
    • Paint chip near bottom of rear passenger door. photo: paint chip on door edge.jpg
    • Scratch on passenger door trim: photo: scratched trim.jpg
    • Small panel next to driver side mirror, paint looks faded & a small amount of rubber on the bottom of the panel is sticking out compared to passenger side panel
  • Ask that they try to be fixed, live with it otherwise:
    • Rear trunk is slightly misaligned - left side has larger gap and a bit higher up -- guessing (didn't measure) its a 2mm diff compared to left side
      Random bumps in rubber seal inside doors/trunk
  • Ask to be cleaned up pre-delivery
    • ~5 small spots that looked like scratches butt DA said were wax residue. Would like to 'prove' it is and not scratches, smudges. One of these was on the windshield glass and one on the headlamp -- areas that I woudn't expect waxed?
    • lots of white powder in rear trunk well
Good, I would reject it too.

Unpopular opinion here:

Auto makers are constantly repairing cars before the end consumer sees them. They are done at the factory and also at VPC's across the country from damage the car might have received on the line, during shipping, or otherwise. Tesla seems to be exceptionally bad at catching problems.

It's a car, its metal glass and rubber built by humans and robots. Anything can be fixed.

I would accept the car, enjoy the tax credit and let them fix it.

Your opinion on if I should ask to fix these things or just pass on it?
Mine is a white car, I didn't reject mine due to tax credit ending and other issues. If you think you can get another one with only a longer wait, and your ok with that wait I would reject it.

I had a few panels repainted on mine and I can see the tape lines. The doors they removed the interior panels and then I was riddled with rattles for months and they fixed them several times (I think it was 5 or 6 service center visits). They also at some point scratched my rear window, and they left pry marks under my screen messing with an issue that was just software related (no reverse camera). They never replaced the panel for the pry marks although they supposedly ordered one. They re-aligned my trunk and broke clips in there too. The rattles have now returned in the trunk, and maybe a new one in the headliner and I'm not sure I'm in warranty at 12k miles plus I'm tired of taking the car in for rattles. Incompetence in service centers are most of the issue, but even the body shop did a poor blending job. No other cars really offer what I'm looking for, but it's pretty disappointing spending 75k on a car and having it rattle more than my 15 year old dodge 3500 Diesel that isn't exactly known for being a quiet car.

Also if they repaint the chip, you have to wait 30 days minimum to apply PPF, this will likely lead to getting more chips before you can apply PPF. If I would have known this (I guess I should have) I may have been forced to reject despite having sold both my cars cars. I got more chips while waiting for the paint to fully cure, and ended up getting PPF at 1 month after the repaint (they told me to wait 90 days though). I already had 2 more rock chips after 1 month.

If you find my thread "Rejected white something something" you will see why I say to reject it.

While I still spent money on tint, PPF, wheels and lights, ceramic coating. I'm basically just throwing away money at my rattle trap car. I don't think I will be willing to keep it for as long as I was hoping. I still love the car but man Tesla is far from perfect. You can see the paint line where the flashlight glare is. The whole way across the metallic and pearl in the white paint is very obviously catches the light at different angles.
repaint.jpg

If they can fix them so that you cannot tell that they were there why wouldn't you accept it?
It's unlikely to happen. They over-promise what can be done, and then there's the whole issue that you can't apply PPF or ceramic over fresh paint.

The trim and trunk alignment can probably be fixed. Hell you can probably align the trunk yourself by turning the bolts that attached it to the arms, or maybe even just turning the rubber stops by hand. Paint is the big issue, esp on a white car.

Last edited:
My personal take on this:
- Try to push hard on Tesla to fix as much as possible.
- However, I would not reject the car unless some of them are significant damages.

Think of it like this - in 6 months down the line with the model 3, the average owner would probably have more wear and tear than what you mentioned. So is it worth the mental and physical hassle for rejecting and re-ordering?

I don't think it's possible.
My personal take on this:
- Try to push hard on Tesla to fix as much as possible.
- However, I would not reject the car unless some of them are significant damages.

Think of it like this - in 6 months down the line with the model 3, the average owner would probably have more wear and tear than what you mentioned. So is it worth the mental and physical hassle for rejecting and re-ordering?
Yes, because it feels like you just bought a used car at new car pricing. Not to mention all the other issues that can be caused while repairing the original ones.

Would give them a shot at fixing those items first.

Sounds like all the items are cosmetic. None will effect functionality of the car.

I am a little amazed at the close scrutiny of panel gaps. Don't think I have ever owned a car with perfect panel gaps. Japan used to have the most precision in panel gaps, but they also are not as good as they were years ago. G/f's i3 has worse panel gaps than my Tesla.

Imagine that side to side panel gaps are the hardest to get perfect. During assembly different people are on each side of the car. They will each install them to fit the best, with consistant gaps all around, however they cannot see the panel gaps being adjusted by their co-workers on the other side of the line. Also, owners cannot see both sides of the car at the same time, so inconsistencies will not be apparent. Only way to know is to measure one side and then run around to the other side and measure again.

Hope they fix it up to your satisfaction.

Reactions: neroden
Would give them a shot at fixing those items first.

Sounds like all the items are cosmetic. None will effect functionality of the car.

I am a little amazed at the close scrutiny of panel gaps. Don't think I have ever owned a car with perfect panel gaps. Japan used to have the most precision in panel gaps, but they also are not as good as they were years ago. G/f's i3 has worse panel gaps than my Tesla.

Imagine that side to side panel gaps are the hardest to get perfect. During assembly different people are on each side of the car. They will each install them to fit the best, with consistant gaps all around, however they cannot see the panel gaps being adjusted by their co-workers on the other side of the line. Also, owners cannot see both sides of the car at the same time, so inconsistencies will not be apparent. Only way to know is to measure one side and then run around to the other side and measure again.

Hope they fix it up to your satisfaction.
I'm going to disagree, because those cosmetic fixes might turn into rattles etc.

Please don't be offended but I'm looking at that list and thinking ... "That's all ya got?"

None of those are things that I would reject a car for. The chip in paint, sure, ask them to touch that up. But for the most part, I'm going to end up with worse damage than that the first time I go to Costco. And that's OK.

I buy my cars to drive them and use them, not as a museum piece.

I can probably think of worse things I've found over the years in EVERY vehicle I've ever bought new - everything from missing things (i.e. mats) to a pencil mark on the headliner to pieces of felt tape sticking out to a gas cap door that wasn't flush to all kinds of things.

None of which would ever make me reject a vehicle - just to ask "hey, can you take a look at that please?"

Maybe I'm just stupid, but at least I'm stupid and happy.

ps - already have a small windshield chip and a small wheel scratch I put there parking too close to my Belgian block driveway border. C'est le vie.

none of those 2 items look like major issue to reject car. and rubber seal bumps are normal. go check out other cars ready for delivery before buyers arrive. they all have it. i've seen far worse ones ready for delivery.

OP since your car isn't white, it might be ok to have that door mark just touch up, so long as your not applying PPF to it. The trunk alignment is a tricky one, I'm not sure what exactly they do or why they took the plastic off on mine. I had to finish adjusting mine myself using the bolts. But it's already been in twice for trunk rattles and it's ratteling again now.

BTW I had similar marks in my doors. They repainted, but it's was so soft I chipped the paint opening my door and just tapping a plastic bucket. My advice is if your not happy, reject it.

Attachments

• trunkAlignment.jpg
    trunkAlignment.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 127
  • paintChip.jpg
    paintChip.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 126
  • paintChip2.jpg
    paintChip2.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 128
  • scratch.jpg
    scratch.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 128
Glamisduner -- those def look worse than the issues on mine.

I agree with the trunk being the trickiest because it requires pulling out interior trim -- which could break clips, and probably very hard to align by hand by someone who is overworked.

I emailed the list of issues, said if they can be fixed I'll take the car. And if they can't I'll make the decision on it.

I've never inspected a car during delivery in this detail before... but in the cars I've bought new in past 20 years, I did not notice any scratches or panel variations post delivery.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
If it were me I would let them clean up all of those items and then go back for another inspection. If all looks good I’d take the car. If not, you can reevaluate. But I would not take delivery and then end up with a due bill of things to be fixed after the purchase. They become less motivated after they have your money.

I don't think it's possible.

Yes, because it feels like you just bought a used car at new car pricing. Not to mention all the other issues that can be caused while repairing the original ones.
I understand the desire for a perfect product, but some people on this thread are borderline anal retentive. Purpose of a car is to drive it. It’s going to become worn. Try to relax and have some fun.

Big question for me is is this a discounted demo car with miles? Or a new full-price off the line car? If new off the line, I would reject it. There is really no reason so accept a damaged car. You might be nitpicking in some areas but damaged paint is where I would draw the line. That said, when you reject it it will be fixed and delivered to someone else and they will likely be happy with their perfect car. The repairs should be done before delivery: before even being "placed on the lot" like in a normal dealer situation, And less obvious things would be noticed during the process of selling the car on a lot (test drives, a lot of eyes on it, etc.). I've said it before but Tesla's best hope for survival is a typical dealer sales/service network. Many problems will go away. Tesla is in a very tough fight for survival. If Tesla can't fix the quality, fit/finish, communication, and repair time problems before others improve their tech, Tesla is doomed.