Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I ask Tesla service to rectify minor defacts found after delivery day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, I recently got my 2023 Model Y and found a few pretty minor defacts. I wonder if it's worth it to ask the service center to fix them, and really need some opinions from experienced owners. Thanks!!!

1. I found yellow-looking paints near rear passenger side's door hinge side. TBH I'm OK with that but if Tesla would fix the paint for me free of charge it would be great. My biggest concern is: since the paint sits at this corner, would technicians have to uninstall then reinstall the door manually to fix the paint? I'm worried that the door & hinge quality would be in a worse condiction than how it originally came out from the factory's robotic assembly line.
IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4417.JPG

2. Also, minor paint scratch near door interior. I wonder how would they fix this.
IMG_4419.JPG

3. Lastly, I found wide (at least I think it's wide) panel gap between one side of the rear light and turnk, but not the other side. I assume this could be adjusted using the trunk's rubber stopper?
IMG_4409.JPG

Solution
Hi folks, I recently got my 2023 Model Y and found a few pretty minor defacts. I wonder if it's worth it to ask the service center to fix them, and really need some opinions from experienced owners. Thanks!!!

1. I found yellow-looking paints near rear passenger side's door hinge side. TBH I'm OK with that but if Tesla would fix the paint for me free of charge it would be great. My biggest concern is: since the paint sits at this corner, would technicians have to uninstall then reinstall the door manually to fix the paint? I'm worried that the door & hinge quality would be in a worse condiction than how it originally came out from the factory's robotic assembly line.

2. Also, minor paint scratch near door interior. I wonder how...

2. Also, minor paint scratch near door interior. I wonder how would they fix this.

3. Lastly, I found wide (at least I think it's wide) panel gap between one side of the rear light and turnk, but not the other side. I assume this could be adjusted using the trunk's rubber stopper?

New cars should look like new cars, so I wouldn't hesitate to fix those for free.

If you worry that if the cure is worse than the disease then, live with the disease. No one should persuade you to do otherwise.

Upvote 0
Solution
For the yellow paint - I checked mine and it's similar. Wow, you really have to look hard to actually even see/notice that. No way would I ask the SC to repair it. They will send it to a body shop and you will end up with way more problems, to cover a small area nobody will ever see.

For the small scratch - they make light polishing compound that you can put on a cloth and rub/smooth/erase that scratch with.

The trunk - maybe worth asking them to address. If the trunk functions/closes nicely and you have to look hard to see the difference in gaps. I'd leave it.

Bottom line - I've found that the Service Centers are careless and generally introduce more problems. Avoid having them address what you can live with or can fix yourself. Don't obsess over those details - enjoy the car - it will get dings and wear with use soon enough anyway.

P.S. - why they don't put rubber grommets in those holes you see yellow paint through... is beyond me (yes, money saving - but WTF?)

Upvote 0
We found and reported several minor cosmetic issues the day we picked up our car, documented with photos we took when we inspected the car at the Tesla location where we bought it. None were bad enough to reject the car, but we wanted them addressed, including a windshield that worked fine and didn't leak, but looked like it had been mounted ever-so-slightly off-kilter (we're talking millimeters here, folks). This included had two very minor paint scratches inside the door frame that nobody but us would ever notice. We booked a service appointment via the app at our nearest SC for several weeks later (first available slot). They were super-nice, gave us a loaner while they had it, and fixed all of the cosmetic nits with no arguments, no drama, and no problems. Yes, they also put on a new windshield, and now it looks perfect. Not even once did they try to pull the famed "it's within spec" excuse.

So, yeah, I recommend scheduling a service appointment ASAP to address these issues. However, as others have noted: regardless of what I think it's your car and your money, so do what works best for you. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus
Upvote 0
I don't see an issue with the gap...if you want to even call it that. Did you do this with your previous cars? Keep in mind that any adjustment of that back trunk might introduce more issues for the other side or other parts of the trunk. Is it leaking? Are you finding wet spots in your trunk? If not, I'd personally leave it.

But like others have said, it's really up to you to decide whether you can live with those "issues." What you call problems, I see non-issues. Through the life of your car, you're gonna get scratches, small dings, rock chips, etc...and that's just on the outside of your car. The inside will get the normal wear and tear of scratches, dirt, dings, all over any plastic piece of the car. That's normal.

Upvote 0