Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reliability vs Quality Assurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has been plenty of conversations about the quality control or lack thereof with Tesla in regards to the Model Y. What I am curious about is the reliability of the total car, most importantly the powertrain.

It seems the QC issues can be solved mostly by the local SC due to being minor issues (paint excluded). What I don't seem to hear about is major mechanical issues with the MY which could be due to the young age of the car or because of the shared powertrain with the M3 that it's a solid platform.

I ask because I am on the cusp of ordering and most my hesitation comes from QC issues I've been hearing about. Then again if the core of the vehicle is solid and minor issues are resolved then what is my hesitation?

There has been plenty of conversations about the quality control or lack thereof with Tesla in regards to the Model Y. What I am curious about is the reliability of the total car, most importantly the powertrain.

It seems the QC issues can be solved mostly by the local SC due to being minor issues (paint excluded). What I don't seem to hear about is major mechanical issues with the MY which could be due to the young age of the car or because of the shared powertrain with the M3 that it's a solid platform.

I ask because I am on the cusp of ordering and most my hesitation comes from QC issues I've been hearing about. Then again if the core of the vehicle is solid and minor issues are resolved then what is my hesitation?

3K miles on Performance Model Y VIN08XXX delivered 16 Mar, so far so good.

Had minor trim issues (cracked interior plastic trim, stained headliner, glass scratch) - fixed by Service Centef and no other Mechanical/Computer HW/SW issues.

Our Y purchase was backed up by how my daily commuter 2018 LR AWD Model 3 has been - no major repair (knock on wood), runs like new. Its now at 65K miles after 19 months.

I look forward to getting a Cybertruck as soon as Giga Austin spits them out.

I say go for the Y now, or wait for the Cybertruck (likely with new battery chem/computer HW 4.0).

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
3K miles on Performance Model Y VIN08XXX delivered 16 Mar, so far so good.

Had minor trim issues (cracked interior plastic trim, stained headliner, glass scratch) - fixed by Service Centef and no other Mechanical/Computer HW/SW issues.

Our Y purchase was backed up by how my daily commuter 2018 LR AWD Model 3 has been - no major repair (knock on wood), runs like new. Its now at 65K miles after 19 months.

I look forward to getting a Cybertruck as soon as Giga Austin spits them out.

I say go for the Y now, or wait for the Cybertruck (likely with new battery chem/computer HW 4.0).
Good to hear that you M3 has good to you mechanically. That goes a long way since I can easily buy a BMW or something similar but comes with its potential problems. I get nothing is guaranteed but good to hear the better stories.

I have a friend with an early S, not sure which exact year but i think its 2012ish. Hes had a few minor issues with it, but nothing major. Door handle, needed a charge port and I think the AC compressor failed. Not too much for an 8 year old car with 80k+ miles. Another friend has a couple year old M3 with no issues