Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remove old Abstract Ocean Foldaway Phone Holder and replace with new one

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vanjwilson

May 12, 2021
Charlotte, NC
The nice folks at Abstract Ocean sent me a warranty replacement for a Foldaway Magsafe Phone holder, to replace one that broke. (I highly recommend their customer service.)

Now, I just need to figure out how to loosen the adhesive of the one that is still attached to the back of my Model Y's screen, so that I can put the new one on.

My crafty wife said you'd normally use a heat gun to loosen the adhesive, but I'm reluctant to use on heat gun on the back of the monitor?

Has anyone ever had to take one of those off, or have an idea of what might work in this situation?

May be dental floss would work?

Thanks for the suggestion. I was planning on trying it this evening, but I also heard back from Abstract Ocean support with this.

Heating it with a hairdryer will help for sure, but a hot air gun will be too hot. Then something wide and flat...either a trim removal tool like one of these: https://amzn.to/3H9RvLV , or just a kitchen spatula will do to pull it up! Once it's pried up, it's easy to get fingers underneath it to gently lift & pull away.

It did take a few minutes with a hairdryer to get it started, but it worked well. I may have been a little impatient, because there was a fair amount of residue left on the back of the screen. I rubbed a good bit of Goo Gone on it, and scraped the rest off with the putty knife.

Reactions: Watts_Up