Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remove Songs From USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to remove some songs from the USB drive so they're no longer played. Easy enough, I deleted them from my thumb drive. Put the thumb drive back in my M3 and they're still there. I then checked my thumb drive to make sure, and yes they're gone. After a few different attempts I left the thumb drive unplugged from my M3 and all the songs are still there, and they can be played.

I thought it was playing from the thumb drive all this time. Does it really load all the songs somewhere? How can I delete them from the car. It plays everything okay, and without the thumbdrive in. I've tried soft and hard reboot, and power off, and they're all still there and playing, without the drive in.

That's really weird. Certainly doesn't happen in my car. Are you sure you aren't playing them from spotify/tunein/slacker or whatever? I.E. when you're playing them what does the small source on the left side say?

I'm constantly massaging the contents of my music ssd, and it shows what's on the drive (and doesn't show what I've deleted) really consistently.

Yes, positive it "thinks" it is playing from the usb drive. I don't have/use spotify etc. I bring up the USB listing, by song/album/artist, whatever, and it is all there, and I can play whatever, all while the usb drive is out.

And it displays "USB DEVICE" when playing

Here's what I do:
I check off that STAR (favorite) icon on songs I really like. So I have about 100 favorites I can play by selecting Favorites from the USB menu. I can add or subtract those favorites from the list of ~500 songs on the stick.

Here's what I do:
I check off that STAR (favorite) icon on songs I really like. So I have about 100 favorites I can play by selecting Favorites from the USB menu. I can add or subtract those favorites from the list of ~500 songs on the stick.

That is a good work around. These were my favorite few hundred songs, but decided to remove a few from it.

So, I tried something else. I copied over all my songs to a different USB. I plugged that in, it indexed, and it then showed two USB drives, and gave me the option to change which usb I wanted to use. There is only one usb plugged in. I chose the new one. I could tell because it was missing songs from the total count. It played okay with the new usb, the the other was still "there" with the option to "change" to the other older phantom usb. I changed back and forth from the old and new. I removed the new drive, and IT went away, but my old phantom usb with all the songs is still there and playable.

Very odd. I like this feature of not having to have the USB drive plugged in, but wish I could remove the songs I didn't want. But, I guess I need the thumb drive in to capture sentry, so will leave it in.

It’s possible that the USB drive was not rescanned after plugging it back in. This could be due to you plugging it back in when the car was powered off. You should unplug it with power on and plug back in with power on. This should force the drive to be rescanned. Deleted files are still accessible on USB drives, if the car remembers their location. It looks like Tesla is cacheing the location of the files. This was probably done so the drive is not constantly rescanned when the car is powered back on.

It’s possible that the USB drive was not rescanned after plugging it back in. This could be due to you plugging it back in when the car was powered off. You should unplug it with power on and plug back in with power on. This should force the drive to be rescanned. Deleted files are still accessible on USB drives, if the car remembers their location. It looks like Tesla is cacheing the location of the files. This was probably done so the drive is not constantly rescanned when the car is powered back on.

I've unplugged and plugged many times, more than I care to count, and all with the car powered on. It doesn't rescan when I plug in the current drive. It did scan when I put in a different usb. Again though, it plays all of the songs without the usb plugged in.

I've unplugged and plugged many times, more than I care to count, and all with the car powered on. It doesn't rescan when I plug in the current drive. It did scan when I put in a different usb. Again though, it plays all of the songs without the usb plugged in.
If you are on a Mac (or possible Windows), you will need to empty the trash. Delete files are moved to a hidden trash folder that the car may still be scanning for.

i think your car needs a 5150 hold.. :p

what you are explaining sounds like a bug not a "feature". i would want deleted songs to NOT appear again.

i need to do this today (remove songs i no longer want off the sd card). ill follow up my results.

as an aside, i have two sd cards and two smart hubs - one for sentry and one for audio.

maybe you dont feel like doing this but - with only one sd card in model 3 installed, format it IN MODEL 3. then go to your computer and copy over the songs you only want and then re test.

If you are on a Mac (or possible Windows), you will need to empty the trash. Delete files are moved to a hidden trash folder that the car may still be scanning for.

I think you are missing an important detail that the OP stated: it plays the songs without any USB drive at all plugged in! So he could in theory not only empty the trash, but actually physically destroy the USB drive and it would still play the songs.

My problem appears to be two-fold (plus one). 1- The car doesn't rescan my usb when I plug in again (it did for my secondary I tried) (as mentioned as a suggestion, I did empty trash). If it did it would hopefully notice the change in songs. 2 - It plays all songs no matter if the usb is plugged in or not. Plus One - My wife is taking the car for the rest of the day so I can't try anything else.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Stupidity alert - Well, I did end up having another USB.:oops: I shouldn't have had another one plugged in. But when RPTEV suggested, I went and looked just to make sure. When I looked I couldn't see it behind cables and at the bottom, and in the dark console. I have extension cables for phone charging with splitters. Anyway, talking with my son about it, he let me know he was in the process of duplicating the USB to split sentry and music from one drive (he wanted more music available on a drive). Not seeing the other and unplugging the one in and out the car didn't care, I'm guessing because it had a mirror image usb there. I don't know.

Anyway, when I pulled the extra usb out all worked, or not worked actually, as it should have. It now reads the single usb correctly. Thank you to everyone for their suggestions, as I was trying them and it wasn't working. Well duh, I know why now! I feel pretty stupid, but figured I better own up to it, as well as thank you all.

I know this is a zombie thread but I just had the same issue and resolved it, so I figured I would post here. Depending on how you have it configured, Windows will move files to a hidden recycle bin on the drive when you delete them. Tesla OS can see this folder, so it indexes it as playable music just like any other folder, which is why you appear to have "phantom music" in this situation. To see the folder, you need to disable "hide protected operating system files" in your Windows file explorer settings. Once you can access that folder, there is an option to empty the recycle bin. Doing this will remove the files permanently, and they will no longer show up in your car.