Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

usb audio pauses between songs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I use a sandisk ssd drive partitioned for both audio and cameras. Always worked fine in the past.

Now after about an hours driving listening to music in a usb folder there is a large pause between songs (sometimes 10 minutes). Eventually it recovers but it is really frustrating as if you hit radio or the USB button it just loops with the donut of death. songs are m4a format from a cd ripped on iTunes.

Anyone have any ideas? I have a late pre-highland M3RWD June 2023. Thought maybe HD cameras are putting too much load on the drive. If so, what can you do as I understand only one data usb (usb-c are charging only)

thanks,

Rich

How is the SSD powered ? If it’s from the USB port then is there definitely enough power for it ? Could be that the power is borderline so it’s effectively getting powered off for time, then when it gets enough power it’s as if it’s been re-inserted.

When I got mine the recommendation seemed to be for a micro USB card in a USB reader, which seems to have been OK so far.

How is the SSD powered ? If it’s from the USB port then is there definitely enough power for it ? Could be that the power is borderline so it’s effectively getting powered off for time, then when it gets enough power it’s as if it’s been re-inserted.

When I got mine the recommendation seemed to be for a micro USB card in a USB reader, which seems to have been OK so far.
Fitted an SSD in 2019 in my M3 ... no problems since.

the SSD is powered from the USB port. Interestingly I rebooted twice on the way to Wales (Bangor). Since then (5 hours driving ) the problem hasn't reocurred. wondered if there is a cache somewhere cleared by rebooting? I have since logged with Tesla and will feed back what they say

Interesting. I get micro pauses between tracks which I've been wondering if it was album art size (my software's default is to slightly over size the album art, presumably in case I ever want to display it on an imax screen or something). You obviously have a different problem tho.

I'm also occasionally getting hangs in playback in general, my assumption is the SSD is on the way out. Its a hand me down from many a PC system which I've put in an USB enclosure. Plan was just to try a different device one day but haven't go around it yet. Good to know a reboot helped tho.

Reactions: rich_g