Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing Aero Covers from the new 2024 M3PL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to remove the large aero covers from the new M3P? I prefer the look without them and I'm willing to sacrifice the efficiency.

Edit: And I really don't want to have to dismount! Reference:

Screenshot 2024-06-04 125317.jpg

Answering my own thread. Wasn't hard, you need a decent plastic pry tool to pop the outside rim portion of the cover off. I popped off one side, then did the other to get enough finger clearance, then pulled it off to disengage with the center.

There will be what looks like scratches and you might start crapping your pants, but is actually plastic residue from the clips. I was able to wax these marks off for the most part, I used Meguiar's cleaner wax and a good amount of elbow grease. There were two instances where the cover clips did actually damage the rim slightly but it's extremely minor. Check pics below. If it's two scratches or these horrid looking covers, I'm okay with it.

IMG_3765.JPG

Scratches

IMG_3776_1.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

Before

IMG_3761_1.JPG

And After! Mucho better
IMG_3772_1.JPG

IMG_3773_1.JPG

Perhaps next I'll get lug covers and wheels caps, and remove the Tesla one. For now, I'm happy

Answering my own thread. Wasn't hard, you need a decent plastic pry tool to pop the outside rim portion of the cover off. I popped off one side, then did the other to get enough finger clearance, then pulled it off to disengage with the center.

There will be what looks like scratches and you might start crapping your pants, but is actually plastic residue from the clips. I was able to wax these marks off for the most part, I used Meguiar's cleaner wax and a good amount of elbow grease. There were two instances where the cover clips did actually damage the rim slightly but it's extremely minor. Check pics below. If it's two scratches or these horrid looking covers, I'm okay with it.

Scratches

Before

And After! Mucho better

Perhaps next I'll get lug covers and wheels caps, and remove the Tesla one. For now, I'm happy
Lovely vehicle!
Thank you for providing this montage of the process! It seems to be a frequent discussion and this one shows that you don't have to remove the wheels to do it.
I know I am in the minority, but I much prefer the aero covers on, so at least that means less work for me! :p Still DOES look sexy without them, though!

Reactions: Sandee3
Would look better without the remaining aero pieces
But but... there are holes underneath those covers, which would look funky I think. Although there will be a solution soon for that too - plugs.

Reactions: Sandee3
Thank you for this write-up! I was already accepting that I would've had to remove my wheels in order to remove these based on a video I saw. But this gives me hope that I won't have to do that. So thanks for putting in the work and sharing it.

I think I might wait for aftermarket covers. I am already willing to bet that the first ones offered will be carbon fiber covers, and wrap overlays to go over the others ones that cover those holes.

View attachment 1053549

Scratches

View attachment 1053563

View attachment 1053564

Before

View attachment 1053566

And After! Mucho better
View attachment 1053567

View attachment 1053568

Thanks for your pictures! When I saw this post, I ran to my local autozone and bought those plastic prying tools and that definitely did the trick. I also left on the smaller piece too. I took them off and my wife and I didn’t like the large holes.

Attachments

• IMG_9443.jpeg
    IMG_9443.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for your pictures! When I saw this post, I ran to my local autozone and bought those plastic prying tools and that definitely did the trick. I also left on the smaller piece too. I took them off and my wife and I didn’t like the large holes.
I'm sure aftermarket will be all over those holes soon. There's this coming which are simple plugs. Tesla Model 3 Performance (Highland 2024) Aero Plug Inserts Delete Kit

Looks great, welcome to the inefficient club! Ha!

Did you end up waxing off the plastic residue/faux scratches? Was there any permanent, albeit minor damage from the covers? Just curious.

The Unplugged video shows him undoing the spring, but it's in his hand so there's no tension. I wonder if the damage I have is from the install, or from the removal. I know it wasn't my prying or my tool because of the angle I was at and where I was contacting the rim. It's anyone's guess. If someone goes to a tire shop, dismounts, removes the cover springs, removes the covers and there's no damage at all, that would be good to know.

Edit: and the "damage" is superficial at best. I had maybe 2-3 spots where the clips grabbed a little too hard I guess.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to remove the large aero covers from the new M3P? I prefer the look without them and I'm willing to sacrifice the efficiency.

Edit: And I really don't want to have to dismount! Reference:

View attachment 1053512
Does anyone have any data on what range reduction removing these caps cause? I'd do it if its <5% range reduction but I can't afford to be losing 20+ miles

Does anyone have any data on what range reduction removing these caps cause? I'd do it if its <5% range reduction but I can't afford to be losing 20+ miles
You're probably on point with 3-5% less efficient.

It's really a balance of aesthetics versus range for sure. To each his own, and I respect that. I suppose the best wheels for max efficiency would be the old school RWD 18s with the aero covers installed.

I barely drive (5k per year, maybe) and I charge at home.

Did you end up waxing off the plastic residue/faux scratches? Was there any permanent, albeit minor damage from the covers? Just curious.

The Unplugged video shows him undoing the spring, but it's in his hand so there's no tension. I wonder if the damage I have is from the install, or from the removal. I know it wasn't my prying or my tool because of the angle I was at and where I was contacting the rim. It's anyone's guess. If someone goes to a tire shop, dismounts, removes the cover springs, removes the covers and there's no damage at all, that would be good to know.

Edit: and the "damage" is superficial at best. I had maybe 2-3 spots where the clips grabbed a little too hard I guess.
I did see some residue from when I pulled out the cover but nothing that I couldn’t get out with a wheel cleaner and microfiber cloth. Just had a put a little pressure and all the scuffs came off with ease.

I watched that same video but I do not have a jack/tools to remove my wheels at my house (which I should actually get).

I’m glad I saw your post and honestly wasn’t too worried about the scuff marks. I’d have to take close up pics of each rim tomorrow and post it.

Thanks again for the tip!

You're probably on point with 3-5% less efficient.

It's really a balance of aesthetics versus range for sure. To each his own, and I respect that. I suppose the best wheels for max efficiency would be the old school RWD 18s with the aero covers installed.

I barely drive (5k per year, maybe) and I charge at home.

I also will drive about the same miles as I work from home so I wasn’t concerned with efficiency to be honest.

I did see some residue from when I pulled out the cover but nothing that I couldn’t get out with a wheel cleaner and microfiber cloth. Just had a put a little pressure and all the scuffs came off with ease.

I watched that same video but I do not have a jack/tools to remove my wheels at my house (which I should actually get).

I’m glad I saw your post and honestly wasn’t too worried about the scuff marks. I’d have to take close up pics of each rim tomorrow and post it.

Thanks again for the tip!

All fails you just put the covers back I guess!? (but the HORROR!). I carefully boxed mine up so I can present to my buyer in 5 years or whenever.

Thanks for your reply I'm sure it will help the thread :) 👍

But but... there are holes underneath those covers, which would look funky I think. Although there will be a solution soon for that too - plugs.
I’m hoping more companies make this. Never heard of this company so not sure about the quality of the product for the price.

All fails you just put the covers back I guess!? (but the HORROR!). I carefully boxed mine up so I can present to my buyer in 5 years or whenever.

Thanks for your reply I'm sure it will help the thread :) 👍
I did the same, I put it in a box and labeled and put it in my garage. I know for a fact I’ll never put it back on but just in case I need it, I know I have it! 😂