Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renting in Iceland?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’ll be in Iceland for a week in August and are driving around the Snæfellsnes Peninsula, Golden Triangle, and the South Coast. I was looking into renting a car and saw that Hertz has MYs for about 1/3 more than lots of compact economy cars. It would be nice to have the larger vehicle, but I’m curious about charging. There are now seven super chargers around the Ring Road, but what about the rest of the infrastructure? Anyone from Iceland have thoughts? Anyone rent an EV there?

Thanks!

A quick check on plugshare shows several J-1772 chargers in Iceland. I'm not sure but Tesla probably uses CCS-2 in Iceland so you might want to check for CCS chargers as well.
Also note that gasoline is very expensive in Iceland so the extra expense of renting a Tesla may be offset by not paying for gasoline.

I'm just seeing this and don't know if it's too late for you. Rented a Model Y from Lotus in Keflavik and had a great time! No issues finding chargers anywhere. We covered southern Iceland up to Jokullsarlon and western Iceland up to Snæfellsnes. Besides a SC in Kirkjubæjarklaustur and another location (which I can't recall now), we charged the car in ON or Isorka chargers with CCS and Chademo plugs, which are scattered throughout the country. Most of these were 150 kW with some being 50 kW. We also had a destination charger at our hotel in Reykholt. The best part of the rental was that charging was free (we were given tags for ON and Isorka/Virta)! A 4G hotspot with unlimited data also came with the rental.

For anyone that finds this thread, I definitely wish I had rented an EV while in Iceland. As SureshS stated, charges are abundant. We saw them at every gas station and 5 of the 6 hotels we stayed at, including several that were free for hotel guests. There would have been ZERO issues traveling around Reykjavik, the Golden Circle, and the South Coast out to the icebergs. And gas was pretty expensive.