Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair billing higher than approved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 Model S AC stopped cooling but fans were still blowing air. At the local service, they first said the thermal controller was faculty and and sent me an estimate approval which I approved for $680 via the app. Then they sent a new estimate just for refilling refrigerant and sent another approval for lower $450. Then for a while no response from service. All of a sudden I got a notification that the car is ready and a payment of over $2,000 is due which is 3 times higher than what I approved for originally. Instead of the thermal controller, the compressor was changed.

Disappointing experience - unable to talk to anyone - forced to chat via the app and with sporadic answers sometimes in 1-2 hrs and sometimes over a day.

Service never discussed a change of diagnosis to ask and they raised a bill for an amount never approved. Anyone experienced something like this? Any suggestions?

My 2015 Model S AC stopped cooling but fans were still blowing air. At the local service, they first said the thermal controller was faculty and and sent me an estimate approval which I approved for $680 via the app. Then they sent a new estimate just for refilling refrigerant and sent another approval for lower $450. Then for a while no response from service. All of a sudden I got a notification that the car is ready and a payment of over $2,000 is due which is 3 times higher than what I approved for originally. Instead of the thermal controller, the compressor was changed.

Disappointing experience - unable to talk to anyone - forced to chat via the app and with sporadic answers sometimes in 1-2 hrs and sometimes over a day.

Service never discussed a change of diagnosis to ask and they raised a bill for an amount never approved. Anyone experienced something like this? Any suggestions?
Talk to the service manager when you pick it up.

If they won’t help, file a chargeback with your CC company.

Upvote 0

Refer to the following, it may help your case when you speak with the service manager.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/consumer/auto-repair-basics#:~:text=Under%20California's%20Automotive%20Repair%20Act,labor%20and%20obtain%20your%20authorization.

"Under California’s Automotive Repair Act, you are entitled to: An estimate – Before beginning any repairs, the auto shop must provide you with an estimate showing the estimated price for parts and labor and obtain your authorization."

Upvote 0
Coincidentally looking into this for my 2013 model S air conditioner. Original estimate was $136.50 and I was surprised since I estimated it would be more. While it's still in the shop I saw an "Outdated Estimate: Contact Service Advisor". I had planned to chnage the 2 fuses in the passenger wheelwell, bu figured for $136, it would be worth it to have Tesla check first.

Upvote 0
Refer to the following, it may help your case when you speak with the service manager.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/consumer/auto-repair-basics#:~:text=Under%20California's%20Automotive%20Repair%20Act,labor%20and%20obtain%20your%20authorization.

"Under California’s Automotive Repair Act, you are entitled to: An estimate – Before beginning any repairs, the auto shop must provide you with an estimate showing the estimated price for parts and labor and obtain your authorization."
Thx it’s good to know that it’s covered under a law. Probably a reason the service manager made the change to my payment immediately once I got there and they realized that they never asked me for approval for the updated repairs.

Upvote 0
I just got an estimate from Tesla Service Center to remove my coilovers and put stock suspension back on. After some messages back and forth about what was included I approved the estimate and recieved a service date. A few days later they cancelled my service and put up a new esitmate for a much higher amount. I asked before I approved the original estimate if everything was there even included pictures. So now Im stuck with either approving a higher amount or walking away. I feel they need to honor their orginal estimates. Mistakes are made, but I aksed this originally to make sure thinking it was a pretty good deal on the parts.

Anyway, I'm glad you got everything handled on your end.

Upvote 0