Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair time - 6 months!??!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is definitely upsetting. Way too long I agree. Big damage can result in lots of parts and "discovery" of new issues, as you say. And by all accounts, the tesla parts supply chain for repairs is very weak and slow. I do think you're very lucky you have a loaner from tesla though. On that part they've gone over and above what I would have expected as reasonable.

Isn't there supposed to be a new contact to facilitate body shop repair delays? Tesla to ‘add 300 body shops to its network in the next few weeks’, says Tesla President
It was mentioned in the Electrek post, but it looks like you were supposed to contact Jon McNeill, who I don't think works for Tesla anymore.

I would hit the "elevate to executive team" selection on your My Tesla page.
If I had a dollar for every false prediction like that from Tesla, I'd buy @mmoran a new Tesla.

That's the problem. It seems as if the parts and orders changes. 1. Here's what's wrong 2. Ordered parts 3. Parts come in 4. Oh yes this needs fixing too 5. re-enter loop at #2 again.

One thing that did take up a lot of time I found out during one of my weekly email/phone calls. Evidently to check the structure there is a Laser frame structure analyzer. To put a "Chevy" on it takes about 30 minutes setup and then 30 minutes teardown. For a Tesla it's 6 hours setup and 6 more teardown. They had another car on it which they were waiting for parts, mine was waiting until they got the parts so they could repair that car and test again. They would have had to "waste" 24 man hours to put mine on for testing while they waited for parts. Once mine got on the unit there determined everything was aligned. That added about 1 month of the delay.
I don't buy that excuse from the body shop. The car is not built any different than any other car. It sounds to me like they are just padding the time to get more money from the insurance company.

This is definitely upsetting. Way too long I agree. Big damage can result in lots of parts and "discovery" of new issues, as you say. And by all accounts, the tesla parts supply chain for repairs is very weak and slow. I do think you're very lucky you have a loaner from tesla though. On that part they've gone over and above what I would have expected as reasonable.

Yes, I'm very grateful for the loaner on one hand. On the other hand there isn't a day that someone says "that's the least they can do for you - 7 months to repair a car is absurd."