Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairable or Write-off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,
Im new here and live in Sydney. I have owned a 2017 Model X 100d for nearly a year until recently (Feb 2020) a truck ran into the back of me whilst I was stopped at a set of traffic lights. I thought I would post some pictures to get your thoughts on this. Is the damage repairable or is it a write off? I estimate the current market value is approx $140k as it has FSD HW2.5 AP etc and was $220k brand new in Dec 2017. Apart from the obvious external damage, I notice that the roof is slightly buckled and the 3rd row of seats in the rear of the car are pushed forward slightly, now touching the 2nd row. It is not driving straight and theres vibration through the steering wheel that wasnt there before. Theres also buckling and gapping of internal trim. Any advice, opinions or feedback much appreciated.

This is obviously the view from behind with plastic wrapped around the tailgate window as the glass was smashed on impact.

Attachments

• 20200310_222652.jpg
    20200310_222652.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 280
I’m assuming $220k is VAT included in AUD. My July 2019 MX P100D (With FSD) including VAT was $191k CAD or $214 AUD. Our VAT is 13%

From the photos this would be an automatic write off in Canada no questions asked. More so the lack of shops working on Tesla’s charge a premium as parts are through the roof $$$. Plus from what I read many have waited months for repairs, YMMV...

A couple years ago someone cut me off and hit my (BMW 328I) front driver fender and bent the whole ball joint. My insurance gave me $25k to write it off and damages were only $8k. I had purchased for $17k 2yrs prior used and it was really worth $18k at most after the km I put on it. My uncle is a dealer so he let me have it at dealer price purchased from BMW financing lease returns.

I’m hoping your insurance just pays out it’s value and doesn’t mess around with it. Tesla doesn’t really like their cars (salvaged / fixed)and I think insurance is afraid to play around fixing anything with high voltage batteries in the mix.

Reactions: rwpnote3
In theory if its still worth $140K the insurance company should be able to spend anywhere less than that on repairs and you could have your MX back. That is a fair bit of coin for the panel beaters to make it look like new again but despite plenty of new bits the main body will always remain slightly bent underneath the filler and never be the same car again.

In practice I doubt if that will happen, it will be written off, the insurance company will own your MX and you will paid the market value or agreed value or even replacement value (depending on what your policy stated) at the time of the accident.

It may not be strictly legal but I would be removing anything useful from your MX before they take it away especially if it wasn't standard fitment to the car in the first place. You certainly won't be compensated for any accessories fitted to the car unless they were written into the policy.

I’m assuming $220k is VAT included in AUD. My July 2019 MX P100D (With FSD) including VAT was $191k CAD or $214 AUD. Our VAT is 13%

From the photos this would be an automatic write off in Canada no questions asked. More so the lack of shops working on Tesla’s charge a premium as parts are through the roof $$$. Plus from what I read many have waited months for repairs, YMMV...

A couple years ago someone cut me off and hit my (BMW 328I) front driver fender and bent the whole ball joint. My insurance gave me $25k to write it off and damages were only $8k. I had purchased for $17k 2yrs prior used and it was really worth $18k at most after the km I put on it. My uncle is a dealer so he let me have it at dealer price purchased from BMW financing lease returns.

I’m hoping your insurance just pays out it’s value and doesn’t mess around with it. Tesla doesn’t really like their cars (salvaged / fixed)and I think insurance is afraid to play around fixing anything with high voltage batteries in the mix.

Our GST (your VAT) is only 10% but we also have a 33% Luxury Car Tax on the portion of the retail price above $60K ($75K for fuel efficient vehicles) which was introduced to protect our car manufacturers from those nasty imports. We don't have any decent sized manufacturers here anymore but surprise surprise we still have the LCT. There is also the matter of a long boat trip that someone has to pay for. Elon does sympathise with our predicament but Teslas haven't become any cheaper yet:)

In theory if its still worth $140K the insurance company should be able to spend anywhere less than that on repairs and you could have your MX back. That is a fair bit of coin for the panel beaters to make it look like new again but despite plenty of new bits the main body will always remain slightly bent underneath the filler and never be the same car again.

In practice I doubt if that will happen, it will be written off, the insurance company will own your MX and you will paid the market value or agreed value or even replacement value (depending on what your policy stated) at the time of the accident.

It may not be strictly legal but I would be removing anything useful from your MX before they take it away especially if it wasn't standard fitment to the car in the first place. You certainly won't be compensated for any accessories fitted to the car unless they were written into the policy.

Some creative panel beater could make the first MX ute from your Tesla, ditch the falcon doors, the back seats and the bent stuff and graft a tray on. They may need to move the rear wheels back, beef up the air bags in the self leveling suspension and run a couple of beams through to stop her bending in the middle but it would be a stunner. The Cybertruck would certainly be jealous:)

A write off would be better for your insurance company and better for you.
A repaired vehicle of this magnitude is seldom as good as new.
If you are not happy with repairs it is a problem for the insurance company, the body shop and for for you.
Everyone will be happier with a write off and walking away from it.
Be glad you were in a Tesla when you were hit. It is one of the safest vehicles in the world.

I can’t be this wasn’t written off based on the clear *sugar* in body panels as far forward as the FWDs. 6 months is crazy, and should have resulted in a write off. I’m very surprised, but I’m sure you’ll be happy once you get your X back...