Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am running my Plaid right now without the filter in my car. I have a filter replacement on order we will see how long that takes and if they charge me for this. I know the cost of the filter is 260$. I expect them to bend a little considering this filter replacement is advised every 3 years.

I thought Tesla switched to calling them “lifetime” filters? We know that’s a bad joke, but maybe you can use that to get a free filter.

• Funny
Reactions: Duke846
Let me know if your‘s is the source of Elons Musk. My bet is this is the problem for everyone that has the musty vinegar smell. (Elon’s Musk)
How about dipping your removed filter in vinegar for an hour and letting it dry overnight? Should kill all the spores. Yes a new one may be on the way but, I’d rather buy a new whisky with my pocket change than a new filter :)

Reactions: yerEVan
How about dipping your removed filter in vinegar for an hour and letting it dry overnight? Should kill all the spores. Yes a new one may be on the way but, I’d rather buy a new whisky with my pocket change than a new filter :)
Agree……. This filter like all filters needs to be reusable/ replacement. (260$) crazy. I was thinking Hydrogen Peroxide. As far as how this turns out, I believe Tesla has overestimated how long this filter will last. if you live in dusty dirty environments heavy traffic areas this life cycle goes way down as we are experiencing.

Agree……. This filter like all filters needs to be reusable/ replacement. (260$) crazy. I was thinking Hydrogen Peroxide. As far as how this turns out, I believe Tesla has overestimated how long this filter will last. if you live in dusty dirty environments heavy traffic areas this life cycle goes way down as we are experiencing.
I pulled mine out today. Yes it’s a bit rancid when misted! Interestingly the rancid smell doesn’t happen on the white side (inside), just on the darker side (outside).

Anyway, I’ve left it out in the sun for a day or two. Let’s see how the UV handles the mildew / moldy stuff.

I’m worried about dipping it in cleaning vinegar in case it shrinks . Will order a new one just in case, though I wish buying Tesla parts was easy without requiring a trip to the service center . I can’t seem to be able to buy it on the epc parts site

I pulled mine out today. Yes it’s a bit rancid when misted! Interestingly the rancid smell doesn’t happen on the white side (inside), just on the darker side (outside).

Anyway, I’ve left it out in the sun for a day or two. Let’s see how the UV handles the mildew / moldy stuff.

I’m worried about dipping it in cleaning vinegar in case it shrinks . Will order a new one just in case, though I wish buying Tesla parts was easy without requiring a trip to the service center . I can’t seem to be able to buy it on the epc parts site
Excellent point. When it’s dry it doesn’t smell much at all. Wet it a little it’s horrible.
My Tesla service center had a hard time ordering this part also. Who knows when I may get it.
In the meantime I got some cheap filter material from Lowes. 3$ worth and put it on the frunk piece that snaps in. Figured may be waiting awhile for the new one.

I am getting the 'stinky feet' smell when my A/C comes on now and passengers are complaining. I have decided to use the Kool-It evaporator foam cleaner.

Unfortunately I have been unable to find any info online on how to remove the cabin air filter and gaining access to the evaporator fins. I would prefer to not take apart any more of the than necessary to avoid any other problems. Is there any step-by-steps online for our model years? I have found a lot for the pre-palladium model S but nothing for the palladium version.
Hello,

It sounds like you're dealing with an unpleasant situation with the odor from your air conditioner. I completely understand your concern about finding the right information to address this issue effectively without causing any unintended complications. While I don't have a direct procedure for the specific model year you mentioned, I can certainly offer you some general guidance on accessing the cabin air filter and cleaning the evaporator fins.

Firstly, the cabin air filter is typically located behind the glove compartment. To access it, you might need to remove the glove compartment and any panels that obstruct your view. The evaporator fins are usually located near the cabin air filter, and they can be cleaned using a specialized foam cleaner like the Kool-It Evaporator Foam Cleaner you mentioned.

However, for specific instructions and visuals tailored to your model and year, I recommend consulting your vehicle's manual or seeking guidance from a Tesla service center. They can provide you with the most accurate information to ensure a proper and safe procedure.

On another note, to help prevent similar issues in the future, you might consider regularly replacing your cabin air filter. At Tesery, we offer an air conditioner filter specifically designed for Tesla Model S 2016-2022, which could be a great solution to improve the air quality in your car's cabin. You can find more details about this product here

I hope this information helps you address the issue with your air conditioning system and improve the overall air quality in your Tesla.

Hello,

It sounds like you're dealing with an unpleasant situation with the odor from your air conditioner. I completely understand your concern about finding the right information to address this issue effectively without causing any unintended complications. While I don't have a direct procedure for the specific model year you mentioned, I can certainly offer you some general guidance on accessing the cabin air filter and cleaning the evaporator fins.

Firstly, the cabin air filter is typically located behind the glove compartment. To access it, you might need to remove the glove compartment and any panels that obstruct your view. The evaporator fins are usually located near the cabin air filter, and they can be cleaned using a specialized foam cleaner like the Kool-It Evaporator Foam Cleaner you mentioned.

However, for specific instructions and visuals tailored to your model and year, I recommend consulting your vehicle's manual or seeking guidance from a Tesla service center. They can provide you with the most accurate information to ensure a proper and safe procedure.

On another note, to help prevent similar issues in the future, you might consider regularly replacing your cabin air filter. At Tesery, we offer an air conditioner filter specifically designed for Tesla Model S 2016-2022, which could be a great solution to improve the air quality in your car's cabin. You can find more details about this product here

I hope this information helps you address the issue with your air conditioning system and improve the overall air quality in your Tesla.
This will not solve his problem on the refresh S. Totally different filter. See previous threads.

Excellent point. When it’s dry it doesn’t smell much at all. Wet it a little it’s horrible.
My Tesla service center had a hard time ordering this part also. Who knows when I may get it.
In the meantime I got some cheap filter material from Lowes. 3$ worth and put it on the frunk piece that snaps in. Figured may be waiting awhile for the new one.
Do you have a part number? I can’t find it in the epc site

Hello,

Either you are really good at mimicking ChatGPT or you used ChatGPT to write that. 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Pricedm
@Duke846 - do you have a filter only part number? My service center wants to order the entire $600 hepa assembly
I will get that part for you tomorrow. They tried the same thing with me. I would say this is shocking but nothing Tesla does really shocks me anymore.
Did you have any luck with the sun drying? I have had mine in the sun 3 days now and it’s smells lots better.

Reactions: MFrunkerOG
I will get that part for you tomorrow. They tried the same thing with me. I would say this is shocking but nothing Tesla does really shocks me anymore.
Did you have any luck with the sun drying? I have had mine in the sun 3 days now and it’s smells lots better.
Thanks. Eagerly awaiting the part #

On the sun treatment, after 2 days in the sun I sprayed the intake (darker side) side of the filter with some 30% vinegar undiluted. Really sprayed each crevice. It’s the real strong vinegar from Home Depot . Then let it dry in the sun for another 2 days. The funk is gone! Totally gone!

I had a bit of a vinegary smell in the cabin for about an hour after but now it’s absolutely fresh!

Thanks. Eagerly awaiting the part #

On the sun treatment, after 2 days in the sun I sprayed the intake (darker side) side of the filter with some 30% vinegar undiluted. Really sprayed each crevice. It’s the real strong vinegar from Home Depot . Then let it dry in the sun for another 2 days. The funk is gone! Totally gone!

I had a bit of a vinegary smell in the cabin for about an hour after but now it’s absolutely fresh!
I think this is it. Should b 260$
1750575-00-C
Double check with Tesla before ordering.

That’s interesting. The entire hepa assembly that costs $600 is listed as the B version in my service estimate. Is the C just the filter now?

If my service center feigns more ignorance, which is your service center they could call to verify?
Councilbluffs Iowa.
Also another little problem right now is the bottom drain hole is connected to the AC drain that when its draining it passes the filter and soaks the bottom of the filter.
This is an epic bad design. My guess is we will all get free C’s if its the redesign.