Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How disappointing.
Is it then safe to assume this design flaw was not engineered out of the new “Highland” M3?
Was thinking about waiting to buy M3 if this issue was remedied in the redesign but if it was not remedied in “Paladium,” why would it be remedied in “Highland”

Interesting! As usual, my Alpharetta Ga service center wants to charge me $600 to replace the entire assembly. They’re so inept that they said the C part isn’t a fit for my car. They could tell which car it was a fit for.
I had to almost teach them. Only because I knew multiple people were having the same problem at the same time. the smell happens when the weather is damp. Tesla is very aware they have a problem with this. They are taking my filter in exchange for a new one. Hopefully the smelly thing ends up on the desk of the Chief engineer of HVAC Department.

How disappointing.
Is it then safe to assume this design flaw was not engineered out of the new “Highland” M3?
Was thinking about waiting to buy M3 if this issue was remedied in the redesign but if it was not remedied in “Paladium,” why would it be remedied in “Highland”
Palladium is still a better car……. m3 will still stink also Guaranteed.

I wouldn’t worry about the revision. My service center had a 2023 two month old x with elons musk…. It’s definitely going to need a better designed filter than even the C revision.
After a month of lower than normal funk, the funk was strengthening the last few days . Just came back after a drive where it had been sporadically raining and the AC had been on. Lots of humidity for symptoms to show if it were the AC drain vent being the culprit.

I opened the filter cover and generally looked around. I couldn’t see any water ingress at the bottom or the top. the filter didn’t seem damp either but it did appear smelly.

Anyway, as I was closing the hood, I found a nice half inch running gap between where the hood closes down and the top of the filter cover.

Here’s my hypothesis - when the wipers are working under heavy rain they push water down on the down sweep and that sprays into the filter top cover area. In essence the air entering the filter opening when the wipers are on is saturated with fine droplets. The suction from the hepa system is pretty strong so they get sucked in straight to the filter… and the funk starts

My hypothesis is strengthened by the fact that the underside of the hood shows about a foot deep dirt area all along the hood underside - could only have been where water made it’s way in.

I’m thinking a foam/abs barrier stuck all along the top underside of the hood May solve this. I know the model 3 has an aftermarket fitting . Wondering if part of that will fit

Something like this - this is for the 3, but you get the idea
IMG_2609.jpeg

Last edited:
From my experience the 2018 model 3 , the 2021 model s and 2022 model X all have this issue. the 2022/23 model Y does not have this issue. Again from my experience. The 2018 model X also did not have this issue.

One thing to note is that the only one from the list above that did NOT have a HEPA filter is the 2018 M3.

So is this a new problem for the MS, designed into the Palladium?

If @MFrunkerOG is correct, maybe it’s a manufacturing defect (build quality) rather than a design defect.
I think its a design flaw more than a manufacturing defect.

Pic 1 - Tesla designed a gap in the hood seal for external air to enter the HEPA assembly. Standard design in many other cars - to pull air from that area
IMG_2610.jpeg

Pic 2 - Tesla also designed an indentation in the hood underside at the exact spot of the hood seal gap to increase the gap
IMG_2613.jpeg

Pic 3 - Here is what I've done to close the gap so the water coming down from the windshield / wiper down stroke doesnt splash straight into air intake. Still have about 1/4" air space left
IMG_2611.jpeg

Reactions: NarTaX
If my hypothesis above is correct, the solution would be to have some air deflector or cowl mounted on top of the intake grill that forces droplet saturated air to work its way around the sides or the front before it enters the hepa filter intake.

Tesla’s design flaw in my research so far is - They thought the drainage holes they put in the filter cover would prevent the moisture getting to the filter. They miscalculated the suction power of the blower from not letting small droplets fall into the drainage area

Standard approach for water control in any industry is to fight water before it enters the impact area, not after it’s already ingressed. Tesla allowed moisture to enter the filter area and decided to take care of it there.

Also extending my thought process, if you’ve ever turned on biodefense mode in the rain you’ve certainly wet your hepa filter because the blower in running at MAX! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke846
If my hypothesis above is correct, the solution would be to have some air deflector or cowl mounted on top of the intake grill that forces droplet saturated air to work its way around the sides or the front before it enters the hepa filter intake.

Tesla’s design flaw in my research so far is - They thought the drainage holes they put in the filter cover would prevent the moisture getting to the filter. They miscalculated the suction power of the blower from not letting small droplets fall into the drainage area

Standard approach for water control in any industry is to fight water before it enters the impact area, not after it’s already ingressed. Tesla allowed moisture to enter the filter area and decided to take care of it there.

Also extending my thought process, if you’ve ever turned on biodefense mode in the rain you’ve certainly wet your hepa filter because the blower in running at MAX! :)
Or run your wipers with spray…. I do all the time for sure, kinda would explain a vinegar smell probably from my washer fluid.

Reactions: MFrunkerOG
Or run your wipers with spray…. I do all the time for sure, kinda would explain a vinegar smell probably from my washer fluid.
iiiinteresting! By the way, I reached out to this company called filterwears who make cold air intake water repellent filter socks for cars and motorcycles. if the solution is a simple sock on top of the air intake grill, that would be fantastic!

Adding a bit of antifungal / antibacterial solution (paint safe) to the washer fluid could also help the problem. Droplets of that fluid mixture carried to the filter could stop or slow bacterial or fungal growth. Might not need to add much depending on the properties of the additive.

iiiinteresting! By the way, I reached out to this company called filterwears who make cold air intake water repellent filter socks for cars and motorcycles. if the solution is a simple sock on top of the air intake grill, that would be fantastic!
Just took this photo.
I can’t believe I didn’t see this very obvious problem. (You are one smart MF)

Attachments

• IMG_9290.jpeg
    IMG_9290.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Love
Reactions: MFrunkerOG