Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this on a refresh S?

Please post your results with the Kool-It.
Yes, this is a 2021 S that was built in August of that year. Had to lift the car up. There's a large panel on the front underside of the car. If you remove it, the spot where the drain line connects to the firewall is right there at the bottom in the center, easily accessible, and easy to disconnect. I fed the Kool-it tube up through drain at the firewall so it got to the coil. I put one can in, left it for a few hours, then put another one in. Reconnected the drain tube and put the panel back on securely. I won't call it a fix, but it did help. Probably needs two more cans. Mine was really bad. This was a really silly problem for such an advanced piece of tech.

What helped in my case: put the heating to MAX and vent to 6-8 and blow the air via recirc for 5 min.
Change AC on and off.
Change fan blower directions though from top to bottom.
In my case that seem to have killed all bacteria and thus smell.

Reactions: Ramphex
Added the stank smell to my current appointment (that they have been dragging out and rescheduling for the past 6 months) and before even looking at anything they quoted me $246 for a filter change. The car is barely a year old and the AC stinks worse than my 8 year old Evo X. Unreal.

Added the stank smell to my current appointment (that they have been dragging out and rescheduling for the past 6 months) and before even looking at anything they quoted me $246 for a filter change. The car is barely a year old and the AC stinks worse than my 8 year old Evo X. Unreal.
That's crazy. What filter are they changing in that quote? I'm getting my cabin air filter changed this morning and the part quote is $28.57. The labor is goodwill. As a side note, I doubt the filter will help me but for that price I'm willing to jump through their hoops.

That's crazy. What filter are they changing in that quote? I'm getting my cabin air filter changed this morning and the part quote is $28.57. The labor is goodwill. As a side note, I doubt the filter will help me but for that price I'm willing to jump through their hoops.
1665201277623.png

Wow. That’s a lot of labor. Let us know if it is any better.
No progress for me. I got mine back and they had not replaced the filter. Apparently there is some design change and they told me they may need to replace the “A/C box” at the same time. They wanted to get clarification before doing anything. I’m back in a holding pattern. 😖

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Wow. That’s a lot of labor. Let us know if it is any better.
No progress for me. I got mine back and they had not replaced the filter. Apparently there is some design change and they told me they may need to replace the “A/C box” at the same time. They wanted to get clarification before doing anything. I’m back in a holding pattern. 😖
I’ll keep you updated if I find out anything before you. This appointment has been rescheduled by them for about 6-8 months now. Just get these messages anytime the appointment is supposed to happen. Tesla customer service is outright garbage lmao.

15D998AA-0C35-4498-B741-803DDCA0B134.png

Reactions: Bull
There´s a general misunderstanding here.
The TESLA invoice states explicitely Cabin FilterS,
which consits of two parts. Inside one, small, and large one in the frunk, the HEPA one, which is a 240$ part alone.
Therefore the invoice is fair billed.

There´s a general misunderstanding here.
The TESLA invoice states explicitely Cabin FilterS,
which consits of two parts. Inside one, small, and large one in the frunk, the HEPA one, which is a 240$ part alone.
Therefore the invoice is fair billed.
I don't believe that he is changing the HEPA filter. If he was the invoice would be quite different. His parts cost would be much higher.

Ok so on my second visit for stinky ac they said they were going to clean the coils. They didn’t, but instead replaced the hepa (again, second time in a month) and also the big filter under the front cowl. It worked! Make sure they replace both for you and see if your results are the same. Maybe in humid/hot climates we have to replace filters every 6 months? All was comped perhaps due to hassle it has been to resolve.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Ok so on my second visit for stinky ac they said they were going to clean the coils. They didn’t, but instead replaced the hepa (again, second time in a month) and also the big filter under the front cowl. It worked! Make sure they replace both for you and see if your results are the same. Maybe in humid/hot climates we have to replace filters every 6 months? All was comped perhaps due to hassle it has been to resolve.
how many days has it been since both filters were replaced?

I have to change the cabin air filter every year otherwise the stink comes back in my Model 3. Changing the filter without doing anything else seems to take care of it. In my case, the mold seems to be on the filter itself.

I have to change the cabin air filter every year otherwise the stink comes back in my Model 3. Changing the filter without doing anything else seems to take care of it. In my case, the mold seems to be on the filter itself.
When you say cabin filter are you referring to the in cabin filter or the large HEPA filter?

2021 Model S LR Refresh - Foul Smell in Cabin
Hi,
Has anyone had any success with Tesla Service to cover the cost of replacing the Cabin Filter due to the foul smell? Service said it was 1 year (delivered 8/30/21) and filter should be replaced. But manual says every 3 years. I decided not to argue since the invoice had not been processed until after the work was done and it was late in the day.....

They replaced my cabin filter 10/18/22, very simple process , located under glovebox with magnetic clips. Charged $34 for filter and $8.75 Labor.
There is no access from the filter area to the evaporator to clean the coils, so I am not sure if this will get rid of the smell.

The HEPA filter is accessed from the Frunk, (it is on the other side of the wall from Cabin Filter. It is way behind the air suspension and will be a difficult process to remove (according to the technician when we both looked at it).

I had 2018 Model 3 LR until 2021, and every year had the same problem. They would replace both filters and use Kool-It to clean the evaporator. Smell would go away. I was able to negotiate with them to pay for the labor, but paid for the filters. At that time, they said: 1. Software change to force fan to dry out evaporator and filter. (this was never done according the Technician) 2. Redesign of unit, it seems Model S Refresh has whole new design, but still the smell.
@Sam1 , They also suggested to turn off A/C before parking.....that was hard to keep going/remember in humid NC, and you would think it could be solved...

Reactions: Sam1