Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here we are on June 29, 2023 and Mobile Service is replacing the Cabin Filter, again for the foul smell, that came back as soon as we started to use AC (humidity in NC came later this year). It really is unbelievable that Tesla is not able to force the fan to run with external damper open to dry out the filters after AC is used. I have the same problem that my 2018 Model 3 had. Same exact smell and issue. The technician said they now recommend changing the cabin filter every year. On the S there is no access to the evaporator, so they only change out the cabin filter.
spray in air intake vent and covering air intake vent is the ultimate solution, least in my case.

Ive been experiencing this same issue with my 22 MSLR. Same as others have done, reported it to tesla SC, they sent mobile and they replaced cabin filter. Smell was back in probably a week. Reported it again, and again, they wanted to send mobile out to do a cabin filter replacement. I reached out to a tesla tech I know locally, and he said the system needs to be cleaned. So, after playing word volleyball with the service people via the app, I was quoted that ridiculously expensive cost to have the system cleaned and hepa filter replaced. Still trying to nail down an appointment date/time though. However... in the interim, Id much rather solve this on my own. Especially if its just a matter of spraying ac cleaner onto the coils like some of the other model owners are able to do to solve this.

Ive been experiencing this same issue with my 22 MSLR. Same as others have done, reported it to tesla SC, they sent mobile and they replaced cabin filter. Smell was back in probably a week. Reported it again, and again, they wanted to send mobile out to do a cabin filter replacement. I reached out to a tesla tech I know locally, and he said the system needs to be cleaned. So, after playing word volleyball with the service people via the app, I was quoted that ridiculously expensive cost to have the system cleaned and hepa filter replaced. Still trying to nail down an appointment date/time though. However... in the interim, Id much rather solve this on my own. Especially if its just a matter of spraying ac cleaner onto the coils like some of the other model owners are able to do to solve this.
Your DIY will be so much better compare to visit... saying from experience.

Can anyone confirm that the frunk air intake filter is the same size and in the same location in the palladium refresh model s (2021+) as the 2016-2020 MS?

Have the gym locker smell any time outside air is pulled in so the air intake filter is suspect. Would prefer not to pay Tesla $500 to replace a filter…

• Disagree
Reactions: Duke846
I can't find a single video that shows the hepa frunk location on the 22 MSLR. I think I'm looking at it here. But I'm not 100% sure.

Also, not entirely sure how to get to it if this is it.

Attachments

• 20230716_152633.jpg
    20230716_152633.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 20230716_152639.jpg
    20230716_152639.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Informative
Reactions: Audietron
I can't find a single video that shows the hepa frunk location on the 22 MSLR. I think I'm looking at it here. But I'm not 100% sure.

Also, not entirely sure how to get to it if this is it.
so sorry you couldn't find online reference, following post talks about the same:

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Add me to this crew! My AC stinks when it rains. High Georgia humidity in the summer.

I’m not understanding the solution though. How can you spray the cleaner through the intake vent? That hepa filter is right there. Y’all are not suggesting to wet the hepa right?

Which Intake are you referencing? The one under the hood with the hepa filter in the way?
you don't regularly mess with HEPA... as it's high quality long life... I was referencing to cabin filter, and air intake for that.
if no air intake directly... can simply remove cabin filters (if not replacing) and fill the area with spray, close the hatch and run aircon on cold/hot 10-15 minute each at high strength... this should kill the bacteria in coil and other areas... alternate between air intake and recirculate.

Once again, climate is very different everywhere... in general - defrosting the car should automatically kill those bacteria... but not always.

you don't regularly mess with HEPA... as it's high quality long life... I was referencing to cabin filter, and air intake for that.
if no air intake directly... can simply remove cabin filters (if not replacing) and fill the area with spray, close the hatch and run aircon on cold/hot 10-15 minute each at high strength... this should kill the bacteria in coil and other areas... alternate between air intake and recirculate.

Once again, climate is very different everywhere... in general - defrosting the car should automatically kill those bacteria... but not always.
Right ! I’m trying to figure out where the cabin air Intake is.

Also I was looking at the service manual online and apparently the evaporator coil thermister removal is real easy and it’s right by the evaporator coils. I was thinking removing the thermister, spraying the cleaner foam in there, closing it up for an hour and then running the heater on full blast to dry everything out.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles

Hi, Posted about this over last few years. In general, what I can't figure out is why Tesla can not modify the firmware to force drying of the filters after parking. Same issue on our 2018 Model 3 and now our 2021 Model S Refresh. In 2018, they promised a programming change to force the damper open, run for a few minutes, then switch to battery uses. I have never had this problem with any other car/AC system. Even if the priority is to protect the battery (primary purpose of the AC system) it would seem not too difficult. I have tried unsuccessfully to not pay for the Cabin Filter/Labor, not because of the $48 cost, but to force the issue to the top of the Warranty Cost exceptions report on someones desk at HQ. This would then possibly, force a review of the options in the software. I know many of us enjoy working on our cars, ICE and now EV, but this issue is random and annoying in some pretty expensive cars. Thoughts and feedback welcome.

Hi, Posted about this over last few years. In general, what I can't figure out is why Tesla can not modify the firmware to force drying of the filters after parking. Same issue on our 2018 Model 3 and now our 2021 Model S Refresh. In 2018, they promised a programming change to force the damper open, run for a few minutes, then switch to battery uses. I have never had this problem with any other car/AC system. Even if the priority is to protect the battery (primary purpose of the AC system) it would seem not too difficult. I have tried unsuccessfully to not pay for the Cabin Filter/Labor, not because of the $48 cost, but to force the issue to the top of the Warranty Cost exceptions report on someones desk at HQ. This would then possibly, force a review of the options in the software. I know many of us enjoy working on our cars, ICE and now EV, but this issue is random and annoying in some pretty expensive cars. Thoughts and feedback welcome.
well, common sense is not that common... probably because they might have some level of disconnect in communication between engineering teams and customer service teams, as they have total disconnect in communication with customers.
only alternate solution i found before changing filter was to set schedule departure with high temperature... means once a day things dry off... on rare winter instance I would just remote trigger defrosting the car, which heats up the interior, filters, inlet etc.... sort of hopefully kills moisture and germs.

At what temperature do you think bacteria dies, and at what temperature do you think the heater puts throughout the air ventilation system?
I am no scientist, so no idea - should be Tesla's job in the first place to provide safe car... but I know that if you put car in defrost mode, it sets heater and vents at highest settings with warning that interior might get very hot.

In my experience, smell used to go away when i had schedule departure or defrost done daily... not permanent solution - that's why i ended up replacing the filters and spraying intake/coil with few rounds.

I am no scientist, so no idea - should be Tesla's job in the first place to provide safe car... but I know that if you put car in defrost mode, it sets heater and vents at highest settings with warning that interior might get very hot.

In my experience, smell used to go away when i had schedule departure or defrost done daily... not permanent solution - that's why i ended up replacing the filters and spraying intake/coil with few rounds.

I am a Googlologist. Turns out your idea is a great way to grow more bacteria, because I can promise you, it doesn't get above 140 degrees throughout the ventilation system where bacteria grows, so I would stop recommending that today.

"Bacteria multiply rapidly between 40 and 140 degrees. Bacteria will not multiply but may start to die between 140 and 165 degrees. Bacteria will die at temperatures above 212 degrees."

• Informative
I am a Googlologist. Turns out your idea is a great way to grow more bacteria, because I can promise you, it doesn't get above 140 degrees throughout the ventilation system where bacteria grows, so I would stop recommending that today.

"Bacteria multiply rapidly between 40 and 140 degrees. Bacteria will not multiply but may start to die between 140 and 165 degrees. Bacteria will die at temperatures above 212 degrees."
very true... but if system is always dry, moisture content is rarely build-up... it might help to slow down bacteria...

as I mentioned before, I am not a scientist, but I found from experience that frequently drying was helping with smell on temporary basis... only way to permanently solve would be to replace filters, spray the system... and most importantly Tesla to get their act together and have it automated in future.