Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing original nosecone front bumper vs aftermarket upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I managed to get my front bumper cover rather mangled. I was ready to contact the SC to fix it, but a thought came to mind. Given the famously long wait times for Tesla parts and high prices, would it be faster (cheaper?) to order an aftermarket facelift upgrade kit? Not that I need to have the facelift look but I will take it as a bonus if the cost is not much higher.

Thoughts?

For a pre-facelift model s I really like these facials; pretty expensive though, but then again look at what we drive...

Unplugged-Performance-Sports-Dynamic-Air-Suspension-Upgrade-Lowering-Kit-Tesla-Model-S-11.jpg

Reactions: Vinc
The one I got matched OEM quality. I purchased it used as 3rd person to own it. Assumed 1st person had a wrap on it. 2nd owner never installed. Third time is the charm as my front end is now nicely hung!

Yes, pictures!

How is the quality of the black panel behind the Tesla logo? That is what seems to look flimsier in some pics.

Also, what is their solution for battery jumpstart? Unplugged mentions it on their site, but T-Sportline does not say anything.

Doing back of the envelope numbers, it looks like the TS upgrade would be just a tad more expensive than fixing at the SC (about 4K, all in).

Yes, pictures!

How is the quality of the black panel behind the Tesla logo? That is what seems to look flimsier in some pics.

Also, what is their solution for battery jumpstart? Unplugged mentions it on their site, but T-Sportline does not say anything.

Doing back of the envelope numbers, it looks like the TS upgrade would be just a tad more expensive than fixing at the SC (about 4K, all in).
The front piece that snaps around the tub provides some support for the black area around the T.

I don't know their solution for jump start but I can tell you mine. I spliced two wires onto the emergency opener inside the frunk. There is already a small hole exiting the frunk under the switch to exit wires out of the tub. I then ran the wires (leaving a little long) to the tow hook cover and 2 sided taped it to the back of the cover so upon removal of the cover it can than be pulled out a little to be able to apply the voltage of a 9 volt transistor battery that will pop the hood.

The jump posts can be accessed by removing the 2 side covers and lastly the front cover that are snapped around the frunk tub. Jumper cables will slip in behind the facelift under the front cover that was unsnapped and placed out of the way.

I got a 3rd hand T-Sportline for $1,000 from TMC member. I would normally have painted myself but still trying to recover from open heart surgery. My hood needed paint because of stone chips and the new facelift and cost $788 for those. Then I had clear wrap installed on lower hood and facelift for $700. So a tally of $2,488.

Last edited:
  • Informative
20190526_194227.jpg
20190512_151027.jpg
20190512_155623.jpg
So you tie into the frunk emergency release switch and route the wires through the hole just under the switch. you then feed them out the tow hook hole and 2 sided tape them to tow hook cover hole. 9 volt transistor briefly touch the poles to manually pop the frunk lid.

Attachments

• 20190512_155756.jpg
    20190512_155756.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
  • Informative
That looks great.. i need to also paint my front hood and bumper + nosecone. Im wondering if its cheaper to get a new bumper and get it painted and slapped on. I think it will cost me at least 2K to paint the Hood, nose cone and bumper. If i get the new refresh, will it be a direct fit bolt on? T sport line that is?

Reactions: Evoforce