Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portland, OR to Irvine, CA in a P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
Just recently completed a roundtrip. Longest trek I've ever done with the car. Countless trips to Seattle when Centralia, WA was the sole midpoint SC.
Basically this is a straight shot down Interstate5. I did very little planning as the I5 corridor is so saturated with SCs these days that there is zero range anxiety, even for my nosecone car. Zero real issues at any SC. Two orange-rings of death that were quickly resolved by reinserting the connector. One true red-ring-of-death at Mt. Shasta, but turns out it was a bum pedestal. Moving to the next one resolved it. A tad alarming at 1am and 10% SoC high in the mountains. ;)

I did use ABRP to see how the different options would affect the recommendations, e.g. more frequent charging stops for shorter durations vs fewer stops for longer durations. Not surprisingly, ABRP knows that my P85D not only can't charge > ~115kW, but that the taper off is significant past 70% SoC. So stopping more frequently to charge between 10%-70% was the sweet spot. I didn't follow the recommendations exactly. Just used it as a leapfrog guide.
Weather was perfect, i.e. did not need to use HVAC in any way until the last leg of my return trip. I did both legs w/o stopping overnight at a hotel and just slept a few times during charging stops. Data and comments below.
Bottom line, while I would love the faster charge speeds of today's S, X, 3, and Y, the goal here wasn't to reach LA as fast as possible. The P85D is a blast to drive and AP1 is perfect for me. Stopping so frequently actually forced breaks, esp as I drove through the nights. Bonus is that I have FUSC, so it literally didn't cost me a dime! If I kept the average consumption rate to the low 300s, I'd get a 1:1 ratio between rated miles and actual. Anything 360 and above then things go downhill quickly. So would I hesitate to take the P85D on a long road trip again? Absolutely not. Car and infrastructure performed flawlessly, even with the slow charging speeds. Apparently dinosaurs *can* still roam... :)

Portland to Irvine:
23hrs 14mins (including long stops to eat lunch, dinner, etc.), 1039 total miles, 363KWHr consumed, 349 WHr avg consumption (low of 314 and high of 393); avg charge time ~40mins

Supercharger stops:
Creswell, OR - 8 stalls, not heavily used
Grants Pass, OR - V2 and sketch AF, tucked by apartment building and an old bar; def would avoid at night
Yreka, CA - busy city env
Redding, CA - interesting that it's next to a big installation of hotel L2 EVSEs; weird that for a weeknight ~midnight, it was the place for teenagers to congregate and blast music, etc.
Williams, CA - tiny little town, but since it was the middle of the night, not much to say
Stockton, CA - SC is in the back parking lot of the Hilton; the town is basically on lockdown at night; even the lobby had a security SUV parked ON the front sidewalk; wanted to use the bathroom/buy water, but security guard said nope unless we were guests (we are member of their loyalty program, but didn't matter apparently); went to the gas station - nope, bathrooms closed for the night
Firebaugh, CA - newish 50+ pedestal location with lots of amenities
Buttonwillow, CA - V2; for some reason full of Tesla charging noobs that morning; don't know why
San Fernando, CA - super high use location; got lucky and snagged a spot, but line quickly formed; one cheater drove down the exit row and "stole" the vacated spot from someone who was appropriately coming from the other side; first SC-rage event I had ever witnessed :)
Irvine itself has a plethora of SCs to choose from. Best/coolest one was at the Air/Flight Museum.

Irvine to Portland:
23hrs 31mins, 1037 total miles, 375KWHr consumed, 362WHr avg (low of 319, high of 424); rained heavily shortly after crossing CA/OR border

Supercharger stops:
Santa Clarita, CA - very nice shopping mall; mix of V2 and V3; saw wide range of cars from P85+ to new Plaid
Kettleman City, CA - nav took me to the new installation; only had a gravel area next to it so I thought they had demolished the Lounge so was bummed; charged and got ice cream from the cool (huge!) antiques establishment; Googled the Lounge and found out it's across the street, so unplugged and moved over there to be able check it off the list; code didn't work, but it was so busy the door was opening quite a bit.
Santa Nella, CA - brand new 50 (maybe less) V3 location, but only a handful were online; rest had plastic covering them
Sacramento, CA - Freeport location; only food open was Wingstop; was happily eating in the car when a lady walked up and unplugged my car; apparently she confused my S with her Model 3 :/
Corning, CA - decent location for middle of the night charging
Redding, CA - see above
Mt. Shasta, CA - previously mentioned red-ring-of-death, but localized to a specific pedestal; only signs of life was a local cat making his rounds
Medford, OR - Target parking lot
Sutherlin, OR - brand new 50+ V3 location; SBUX and Taco Bell next door
Harrisburg, OR - small site hosted by a country store (IIRC) converted gas station; owners gracious enough to leave one bathroom unlocked for folks to use

Nice write-up. I'm hesitant to take our "classic" S85 to destinations beyond 500 miles since having our charging sessions nerfed and range diminished back in June 2019 through software, but I am very curious about the Klamath Salmon Festival once they restore the waterways. So far the furthest north we've been in the Tesla is Healdsburg but I'm willing to venture out a little further.

Nice write-up. I'm hesitant to take our "classic" S85 to destinations beyond 500 miles since having our charging sessions nerfed and range diminished back in June 2019 through software, but I am very curious about the Klamath Salmon Festival once they restore the waterways. So far the furthest north we've been in the Tesla is Healdsburg but I'm willing to venture out a little further.
The only thing you need to confirm is charging options when getting off the I5 corridor. Looks like you’d start heading west/southwest after Grants Pass. Use ABRP and see what your options are.

Reactions: Nissanman