Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Report Accurate Efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We all know that electric vehicle efficiency is polar opposite to gasoline vehicle efficiency. That being said, the way that electric vehicles are currently reported does not represent the vehicles true efficiency. Electric cars right now are rated based on essentially ideal weather conditions and not highway speeds; if i have this correctly its ~55mph.

We are all aware that 55mph is not an accurate representation of the vehicles range. If i drive locally during the warmer months, i will exceed the vehicles rated efficiency. That being said, when we reach 70, 75, 80 mph on the highway, the efficiency quickly drops off. Add cold weather to that it gets even worse. That is deceiving as far as i can tell. Gasoline vehicles experience some level of efficiency reduction in cold weather but its nowhere near an electrical vehicle.

I think Tesla should take this opportunity, having the most efficient vehicles in the world, to report the vehicles stats correctly. First, stop reporting range. Range means nothing. You could report 400 miles of range but the battery is 300kWh for all i know. And automakers are pulling the 80kWh usable, 95kWh total bullcrap. Imagine if an automaker advertised 40 gallon gas tank with 35 gallon total.

Miles/kWh

Make it happen.

City - Miles/kWh
Highway - Miles/kWh

Summer - Miles/kWh
Winter - Miles/kWh

make it happen

standards.png

Reactions: MY1stEV
"Not gonna happen"

There are far too many variables to create ANY type of "accurate" efficiency ratings. So instead of creating dozens more essentially meaningless, but "more accurate" ratings, we stick with a single meaningless efficiency rating that everyone understands and accepts and can use when comparing different vehicles.

Reactions: KerryOH
We all know that electric vehicle efficiency is polar opposite to gasoline vehicle efficiency. That being said, the way that electric vehicles are currently reported does not represent the vehicles true efficiency. Electric cars right now are rated based on essentially ideal weather conditions and not highway speeds; if i have this correctly its ~55mph.

We are all aware that 55mph is not an accurate representation of the vehicles range. If i drive locally during the warmer months, i will exceed the vehicles rated efficiency. That being said, when we reach 70, 75, 80 mph on the highway, the efficiency quickly drops off. Add cold weather to that it gets even worse. That is deceiving as far as i can tell. Gasoline vehicles experience some level of efficiency reduction in cold weather but its nowhere near an electrical vehicle.

I think Tesla should take this opportunity, having the most efficient vehicles in the world, to report the vehicles stats correctly. First, stop reporting range. Range means nothing. You could report 400 miles of range but the battery is 300kWh for all i know. And automakers are pulling the 80kWh usable, 95kWh total bullcrap. Imagine if an automaker advertised 40 gallon gas tank with 35 gallon total.

Miles/kWh

Make it happen.

City - Miles/kWh
Highway - Miles/kWh

Summer - Miles/kWh
Winter - Miles/kWh

make it happen

You need to take this up with the EPA, as they set the rating standards.