Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Cybertruck is more expensive to supercharge than a Ford F-150 costs in gas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be honest I've basically given up on all this green theater. I had a sea change after learning that virtually none of my "recycling" ends up recycled; it almost all ends up either burned for energy or put in a landfill. I've noticed also all my extra garbage bags end up in our recycling bin; it's all going to land fill and nobody cares. Like just as a matter of course now I have a recycling bin pickup and a garbage pickup (two trucks, same day) and any extra garbage bags go into the recycling truck. I can order the tiniest, most robust item from amazon and there's a good chance it will come in a box with extra packaging. This stuff is a big joke and we're all in on it. I got a fast food meal a few days ago and it came with damn near an inch thick tuft of napkins, none of which I used, and all of which are pending delivery to the landfill now.

Until we are serious as a society--and I mean no more trifling talk about plastic grocery bags or paper straws, but truly serious--most of what we're doing is pissing on a bonfire, IMO.
Don’t underestimate the fire fighting powers of a nice morning piss.

Ps. I love how some of y’all get @TSLA Pilot all riled up. Always a fun read

• Disagree
Reactions: finman100
You need to turn off your Fox "News" and One America channels and get away from the EV and Solar FUD: this is common BS spread in those circles:

Rather panels save the planet or not is debatable as some numbers say that to build a solar panel takes more energy than it will produce in a lifetime.

Surely you know when you're being played for a fool, right? This was a huge part of a fake documentary a year or three back, and it was fully debunked. I'd post the links but there are more powerful links below; feel free to Google search to find the debunking of that BS "mockumentary" as there were plenty . . . .

But, for argument's sake, let's assume the horror is true (which it really isn't): Solar Panels would COST YOU MONEY and your "payback" would take DECADES, and they're "DIRTY" from all that Chinese energy it took to produce them!?!

Oh my! Let's just start with money . . . .

How dare it cost you money out of your pocket to stop dumping so much GHG's! Crazy! Yes, the ethical and moral thing to do is to keep your externalities forever--those are costs borne by others . . . because you'll be six feet under by the time the planet is destroyed?

Glad previous generations thought of us in the same manner--not.

Look, in our case we pay a lousy $0.07 (yes, seven cents) per kWh, and we got our solar panels from SolarCity anyway. Despite the low cost, our system "paid for itself" in about 15 months back in 2013/14; here's how:

1. House electric bill: ~$2,300/year
2. Two non-EV's in the garage: ~$4k in gasoline/year
3. Total annual cost for electric and gasoline: $6,300/year

In my personal case, after far too much time spent in the Middle East, and realizing my presence there had NOTHING to do with my supposed oath to "defend the constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic," I got out of the US Air Force ASAP.

After realizing we were in bed with some of the most vile people on the planet all because of our addiction to fossil fuels, the move to a near zero fossil fuel life was a no-brainer.

In 2013/14 we installed a SolarCity PV array via a ONE-payment, 20-year lease: $8,000 total (a really good deal, but it still would have been done if it has cost two or three times as much as the numbers are just too good, regardless of the ethical and moral reasons to switch).

We then replaced both of the GHG-dumpers in the garage with two Teslas, which gave us a payback of just over a year as our electric bill went down to ~$40 PER YEAR, and we were effectively "driving on sunlight." After that payoff/payback point we were pocketing a nice round $6,000+ every year in avoided costs--no more gasoline and nearly zero conventional/grid power.

A few years later: bye bye to the methane meter on the side of the house and we transitioned to fully electric: heat pumps for HVAC, water heaters, etc.

Does it now cost a hair more now that we're not paying for leaky methane? Perhaps.

But we don't give a damn. Leaving a usable planet for future generations is a moral obligation, one that I would hope that more, especially here, would share.

Perhaps if you were aware of just how billions of people around the globe are being played for fools the anger would get you, and others, to step up and get solar panels, EV's, and ditch their methane meters?

It's a hope.

Recommend watching this documentary series as it's got the actual emails and docs from those that helped plan the scam; it's damning:

[WARNING: It may make your blood boil. (If not, check to see if you still have a pulse.)]

Please allow me to further enrage you: the entire fossil fuel industry pocketed a nice $11 BILLION a day in profits in 2022. That's why there's so much EV and Solar FUD: every single day they keep the masses stopping at their local fossil fuel purveyor, and writing checks to their power company, is worth a MASSIVE chunk of change:

The time to get off that treadmill was yesterday as we are soooo close to getting to tipping points where it will be too late to fix the damage done over the past century plus of unchecked GHG dumping:

But it's a free country.

You're free to do NOTHING, to keep dumping GHG's as much as you like because (horror!) it MIGHT cost you an extra $10 or $100 a month or some other silly number (perhaps even a negative number) to drop your GHG dumping to near-zero.

Your children and grandchildren will certainly be curious as to why, in the face of overwhelming evidence of the coming planetary-scale train wreck, you couldn't be bothered to make even the smallest change to leave them a livable planet . . . .

I really don't know how people will be able to answer those questions.

In the interim, sure, keep buying and burning fossil fuels and you're voting for the future you want; I just hope you'll reconsider your choices when you're more aware of the implications and the 11 BILLION reasons there is soooo much push to keep the status quo.

“Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.”​

― Anna Lappe

p.s. See also:

You talk the talk yet don’t walk the walk.
You say people shouldn’t worry about spending extra money if it helps the environment yet everytime I’ve presented you with the opportunity to do just that you’ve ignored me

Here’s your chance once again, I will trade you my V10 M5 that gets 11 mpg on a good day, for a plaid model s.

Here’s your chance to take a gas guzzler off the road! You’re so passionate about saving the environment at any USD cost, so let’s do it.

I’ll be awaiting your private message on where we can meet up to make the trade.

• Disagree
Reactions: finman100
I recently watched a range test on YouTube where a Cybertruck was driven at 70mph at a steady state under decent weather conditions until it could not drive. The truck got around 254 miles of range and consumed around 500 wh/mile, approximately.

Here's what that would cost per 100 miles at current supercharger rates across the US:
$0.35/kWh​
$0.40/kWh​
$0.45/kWh​
Cybertruck (500wh/mile)
$17.50/100 miles​
$20.00/100 miles​
$22.50/100 miles​

Here's what a Ford F-150 would cost per 100 miles at current gas prices across the US:
$2.50/gallon​
$3.50/gallon​
$4.50/gallon​
3.5L EcoBoost (24mpg)
$10.42/100 miles​
$14.58/100 miles​
$18.75/100 miles​
5.0L (18mpg)
$13.89/100 miles​
$19.44/100 miles​
$25.00/100 miles​

At these prices, the F-150 ends up being cheaper to drive under most conditions while also being quicker to fuel up and unrestricted by charging station locations. Here is a MPG equivalency chart at cost basis:
$0.35/kWh​
$0.40/kWh​
$0.45/kWh​
$2.50/gallon
14 mpg
13 mpg
11 mpg
$3.50/gallon
20 mpg
18 mpg
16 mpg
$4.50/gallon
26 mpg
23 mpg
20 mpg

If comparing against the EcoBoost 3.5L, there's only one scenario where the Cybertruck comes out ahead (and just barely): $4.50/gallon gas and $0.35/kWh supercharger rates.

Now this is a very simplified analysis and doesn't take into account the following:
  • Purchase price and depreciation.
  • Home charging.
  • "Fun to drive" and acceleration.
  • Cold weather effects on charging and efficiency.
  • Maintenance costs and time lost to oil changes, etc...
  • The social costs to CO2 emissions and air pollution.
Otherwise, let me know if I am missing something obvious in the analysis above.
Why didn’t you include superchargers that cost around $0.27 / kWh? Many 75kw chargers are priced lower.

Also most people will be charging at home or work. My employer has 33 32amp evse that are free. My home rate in California is around $0.24/kWh, no solar, I just don’t live in an area where a for profit company provides electricity.

You talk the talk yet don’t walk the walk.
You say people shouldn’t worry about spending extra money if it helps the environment yet everytime I’ve presented you with the opportunity to do just that you’ve ignored me

Here’s your chance once again, I will trade you my V10 M5 that gets 11 mpg on a good day, for a plaid model s.

Here’s your chance to take a gas guzzler off the road! You’re so passionate about saving the environment at any USD cost, so let’s do it.

I’ll be awaiting your private message on where we can meet up to make the trade.

Who the hell cares about the environment?

But if you want to keep giving your money to those clowns in the Middle East that’s a different story.

Keep the M5 tough, no way I would trade that for Model S Plaid or not 🤣

• Love
Reactions: AMPd
Who the hell cares about the environment?

But if you want to keep giving your money to those clowns in the Middle East that’s a different story.

Keep the M5 tough, no way I would trade that for Model S Plaid or not 🤣
Not wanting to give money to the clowns in the Middle East was the main reason I bought a Tesla!

The M5 is more of a weekend toy, for days when I just want to roll down the windows and go for a nice leisurely cruise.

IMG_9401.jpeg

It's the rice paddies that bother me the most in CA - if they are still around.

You can't blame the corn on CA though.
California is worse in my opinion, most of their ethanol comes from Brazil, I don’t know if this is a fact, but I read that there’s mass deforestation of the Amazon rainforest happening in Brazil in order to plant more sugar cane and increase ethanol production.

FWIW, Home charging is the key to maximize the value of driving an EV. When you travel, destination charging at hotels you stay tend to be free. I would use it when I can. Superchargers are for the times when you need a long road trip.

In Ontario, Canada, we have this ultra-low-tiered time-of-use pricing. From 11 pm to 7 am every day, the lowest kWH price just increased from 2.4c to 2.8c. Mind you, peak pricing from 4 pm-9 pm on weekdays is 28.6c, but charging at home means you schedule charging to complete by 7 am and you'll always pay the lowest price. Another cost saving trick in summer AC is to lower thermostat at 3pm to 1C below and at 4pm to +2C and most days,the AC stays off until 9pm.

Btw, 2.8 cents Canadian is about 2 cents in USD. It used to be 1.8c USD at 2.4cents.

No, only people who believe anything care.

I guarantee 95-99% of buyers don’t really care and are more concerned with how much is coming out of their pockets when gas prices are up.

Bringing up the environment when trying to convince someone to go EV is laughable.
Not my main argument..and not arguing..I don't know where you get you #'s on that though.

Not my main argument..and not arguing..I don't know where you get you #'s on that though.

I got that number from talking to fellow EV owners (30+,non mentioned the environment for getting an EV) of course that's a small sample size and probably not accurate.

Early adopters of Tesla probably felt that way, I got my first Tesla because I didn't want to keep paying the Middle East.

I just think it's the wrong way to go about selling EV's to the masses, if it saves the environment then that's awesome. But, the way to sell EV's will be based on comfort, amenities, design and most importantly cost.

I got that number from talking to fellow EV owners (30+,non mentioned the environment for getting an EV) of course that's a small sample size and probably not accurate.

Early adopters of Tesla probably felt that way, I got my first Tesla because I didn't want to keep paying the Middle East.

I just think it's the wrong way to go about selling EV's to the masses, if it saves the environment then that's awesome. But, the way to sell EV's will be based on comfort, amenities, design and most importantly cost.
All true. Most people do not know about the many different changes that are happening in the EV world. Battery Technology, including the building of recycle plants for batteries, different chemical make up (Sodium..some day and other types) Cost...also is coming down. It is the evolution of EV's that take time, and now is not the time to slow down.
And a big part of why Tesla's have sold is image..people want to be cool. Not the reason many bought one, but cars have always been like that. I was hoping that saving the planet would , at some point, enter in the minds of owners. We have a long way to go to get there.

Last edited:
Reactions: T3SLAROD
The point is, if EVs are good for the environment then so be it. But making it the main argument on why someone should get an EV is just plain dumb and just turns people off to EVs.
This is true, I ignored the environmental part because I remember the mining of cobalt and rare earth materials has some consequences. I was most surprised that the running costs in Canada are unbelievably low. If I charge from 11 pm to 7 am, I pay only 2.8 cents/kWH which is around 2c USD. That's insanely cheap for charging at home. @200WH / km.

I'm paying for electricity costs of 56c CAD or 40c USD / 100km. That's 64c usd /100 miles. Even if there is efficiency loss and transmission costs in the utility bills, it will work out to < USD 1 / 100km.

Repair costs are lower, no fluid changes. 12V battery needs to be changed every 3-4 years but it's cheap. The big item is suspension, if you drive over potholes frequently or hit a raised block in underground parking, you could face a very expensive suspension repair comparable to the air suspension costs of an S-class Benz.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Per trip EV truck ownership is cheaper than the 6.2L truck it replaced.
Fuel averages 1/3 the price.
The annoyance of towing and charging is on another world.
Not stressful, not difficult (power tongue jack, understanding camera perspective is off) just plain annoying. From blocked trailer charging spots to broken chargers at ends of parking lots or other non invasive charging options, someone is always upset.

Front plug is nice, needs to be on other side. seems they have all failed to address charging while hauling.

Hope to have our demo unit shortly for comparisons.

Attachments

• IMG_4172.jpeg
    IMG_4172.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 14
So spend $40-$100K on solar panels to save the planet? Where are you going to bury these solar panels when they become unusable? How is spending money to save money a viable option? Do you understand how solar panels work?

If you want to "save" the planet go to India and China and try curb their pollution since that is the majority of the worlds problems.
Wow, the hoops people jump through to avoid doing anything to leave a usable planet are really something.

If you can put your mental gymnastic skills to rest, perhaps you might find that if you use the sun's energy to power your home and EV's, you'll use less or no power from fossil fuels, thus, you won't be dumping as much GHG's.

Pretty simple, right?

But since you may have trouble acknowledging facts that challenge your worldview, we'll likely have to rely on others to pull your weight. Sad state of affairs that makes we wonder if our species will be able to keep this fine planet of ours . . . .

Far too many are like our poster here--finding any and every excuse for THEM to do absolutely nothing. It's all about pointing their finger at someone else, or some other country, as their excuse, and never looking in the mirror.

For those that wish to become part of the solution, rather than remaining part of the problem, these links will help refute our poster's misinformation:

Yes, it matters. Observed and anticipated increases in greenhouse gas emissions from China and other countries don’t let Americans off the hook for reducing emissions. From a purely physical perspective, any reduction in emissions helps minimize future temperature increases. From the perspective of fairness, the United States has released more heat-trapping gases to date than either China or India, the world’s two most populous countries. Carbon dioxide is a long-lived greenhouse gas that can linger in Earth’s atmosphere for thousands of years. Consequently, the United States bears more responsibility for the amount of warming that has occurred so far and will persist for millennia.
[truncated]

And: