Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request for Model 3 forum FAQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Id prefer they make a FAQ sticky like the Model S section has. It’s kind of online forum 101

Based on your profile you haven’t been dealing with these for years and came in as firmware was relatively stable.

Different models, battery packs, MCU versions, AP hardware revisions, motor configurations, etc etc all respond to these firmware updates differently and there is often a discussion to crowdsource what’s happening to which cars for a given firmware series.

An FAQ would not accomplish the same thing as these threads. That doesn’t mean they’re mutually exclusive, only that this format provides a specific value.

Based on your profile you haven’t been dealing with these for years and came in as firmware was relatively stable.

Different models, battery packs, MCU versions, AP hardware revisions, motor configurations, etc etc all respond to these firmware updates differently and there is often a discussion to crowdsource what’s happening to which cars for a given firmware series.

An FAQ would not accomplish the same thing as these threads. That doesn’t mean they’re mutually exclusive, only that this format provides a specific value.

I understand I’m a relative n00b in regards to Tesla but I’ve been around for many vehicles/forums and their generations of vehicles. I’ve questioned the moderation of this forum before and why there isn’t this/that done and been told “we don’t get paid to do this”. There’s nothing wrong with making an FAQ that mirrors the other models or gives some basic info on “how does my car work” stuff.

The repeated posts should be far and few between, not the norm. I understand that the average Tesla buyer is different from the Nissan/VW/Ford buyer but it seems to be the first time the Tesla buyer decides to “check the forums” is when us forum people get to interact with them and sometimes the older forum people can be snappy so an FAQ could be useful.

Just trying to help and keep the “my car makes a thump noise” / “OMFG new update!!!*#%@$&” crap to a minimum but also keep the legit information towards the top of the pile to be helpful

Some repeat threads are closed and redirected to the main thread, that’s how it’s done in other forums but those other forums probably have more moderators on any given title. Its probably lots of work and something I wouldn’t be doing.

Fred

I understand I’m a relative n00b in regards to Tesla but I’ve been around for many vehicles/forums and their generations of vehicles. I’ve questioned the moderation of this forum before and why there isn’t this/that done and been told “we don’t get paid to do this”. There’s nothing wrong with making an FAQ that mirrors the other models or gives some basic info on “how does my car work” stuff.

The repeated posts should be far and few between, not the norm. I understand that the average Tesla buyer is different from the Nissan/VW/Ford buyer but it seems to be the first time the Tesla buyer decides to “check the forums” is when us forum people get to interact with them and sometimes the older forum people can be snappy so an FAQ could be useful.

Just trying to help and keep the “my car makes a thump noise” / “OMFG new update!!!*#%@$&” crap to a minimum but also keep the legit information towards the top of the pile to be helpful

Maybe you could spearhead such an FAQ and if it’s sufficiently popular it could be a sticky?

I think the fundamental issue is that the cars change every few weeks, sometimes in very significant ways, and that FAQ will need quite a serious effort to keep it up to date.

Since I bought my car the interfaces for the app, cruise control, navigation, charging, HVAC, wipers, seat heaters, web browser, energy consumption displays, mirror folding, audio options/controls and many many more things have significantly changed. Sometimes this happens from week to week.

I have also received (new to me) auto wipers, farts, energy graphs, functionality for the right scroll wheel, dash cam, more dash cams, sentry cams, more sentry cams, new charging speeds and options, etc. This doesn’t even include autopilot or maps changes.

These cars change, frequently, in significant ways, varying dramatically between variations within the same model group (then sometimes they merge) on a rolling basis.

If someone wants to make an FAQ it would be significantly more overhead than for any other car forum I’ve ever participated in.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
I’ll start drafting up some info and links for this. I’m not looking to make it the end all be all but to get the brand new owners who happen to come across this forum I think it could be useful. General knowledge and where to find certain info that will be refreshed as updates come from Tesla. It’ll never stop all the dumb posts but it might help.