Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request for new post reaction: "stop" 🛑 ✋

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mblakele

FSD Beta (99)
Mar 7, 2016
SF Bay Area
It would be nice if we had another post reaction: "stop", perhaps as 🛑 or ✋.

Use case: one or more users in a thread are beating a dead horse, going off-topic, posting inappropriate content, etc. In many cases it would also be appropriate to report the post for moderation; a "stop" reaction would not be a substitute for good moderation. But moderation takes time. A short, sharp shower of "stop" reactions could signal the offending posters that they aren't contributing anything useful to the discussion.

Workaround: some already use the "disagree" reaction 👎 for this purpose, but that can be confusing and may actually encourage inappropriate discussion ("Hey, why did you disagree with my post about [off-topic]?"). A "stop" reaction would be clearer and more constructive.

Thanks for considering this suggestion.

I have no control over this at all (I am just a volunteer mod) but would say that there is no circumstance I can imagine in which such an icon would be "constructive", or do anything other than continue to escalate an issue / confrontation / discussion.

All that would do would further encourage the "reaction wars" that some already do, by marking each others posts disagree, or hunting down all posts from someone and marking disagree, etc.

The people who engage in such behavior as you describe (and yes, I am fully aware there are some, as is every other moderator here) would not "stop" simply because someone or someone(s) marked their post "stop". For trolls, this would simply let them know that "its working".

The best way to actually "stop" those type of posts is for everyone who is tired of reading posts from that person to put them on ignore, basically putting them in their own isolation chamber. If no one sees or responds to their posts, they are more likely to stop than if a bunch of people mark "stop!".

As you mention, anything that is over the line should be reported so that moderators can make a decision on whether more severe action should be taken with that person.

I guess I should also be very clear and say that, this is my own personal opinion, and does necessarily represent the opinion of TMC. other moderators, or anyone other than myself.

I have no control over this at all (I am just a volunteer mod) but would say that there is no circumstance I can imagine in which such an icon would be "constructive", or do anything other than continue to escalate an issue / confrontation / discussion.

All that would do would further encourage the "reaction wars" that some already do, by marking each others posts disagree, or hunting down all posts from someone and marking disagree, etc.

The people who engage in such behavior as you describe (and yes, I am fully aware there are some, as is every other moderator here) would not "stop" simply because someone or someone(s) marked their post "stop". For trolls, this would simply let them know that "its working".

The best way to actually "stop" those type of posts is for everyone who is tired of reading posts from that person to put them on ignore, basically putting them in their own isolation chamber. If no one sees or responds to their posts, they are more likely to stop than if a bunch of people mark "stop!".

As you mention, anything that is over the line should be reported so that moderators can make a decision on whether more severe action should be taken with that person.

I guess I should also be very clear and say that, this is my own personal opinion, and does necessarily represent the opinion of TMC. other moderators, or anyone other than myself.
Thanks for adding that. You may be right, and no doubt your opinion is better-informed than mine.

To be clear, I agree that nothing much will stop deliberate trolling except moderator action, and I agree that we shouldn't feed trolls. This idea was aimed more at "beating a dead horse"-style bickering, and at a certain type of unpremeditated off-topic post. Sometimes these come from users who are otherwise worth listening to, so I don't want to put them on ignore. I'd just like them to stop beating a certain dead horse, and don't want to stir the pot if I can help it.

Perhaps naively, I'd hoped that a "stop" reaction would be less aggressive than "disagree". I think I'd find it easier to ignore, but that's just a prediction based on nothing in particular.

Anyway I'll sit down now — don't want to beat a dead horse. 😉

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin