Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resale Value Guarantee — What next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MJP.P3D-

Supporting Member
Apr 18, 2016
Texas
Anyone else with a soon to expire (or recently expired) RVG? If yes, what are your plans? Or what did you do? I find myself in a bit of a quandary as my RVG expires in ~45 days but the path forward is unclear. I love my Model S for all that it is but recognize that significant changes to tech and aesthetics are likely coming in the near term. I like and appreciate the Model 3 but the lack of cargo capacity coupled with less desirable ride quality (my opinion) and increased road noise makes this decision more difficult. Simply forgoing the RVG and sticking with my current S is the simple answer if not an exciting one. I should also mention that the RVG is greater than the car is worth so, at least in the near tern, letting it expire feels like leaving $$ on the table. However, since I’m not enamored with the options right now, perhaps its the right decision? Any thoughts/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Depends on the difference between what you could buy one for and the RVG, If you're within a few grand then probably stick with what you have, if you can pick up a near identical car for 15k less then give it back and buy what you fancy thats used even if its largely the same car and pocket the difference. You can sort out a lot of niggles for 15k and maybe get an option or two you didn't get first time around.

Mine is coming up next month. My original plan was to sell it back and get a refresh s or x with the 400 plus range. Since I've heard that the s/x refresh isn't going to happen soon. However, I still might give it back and wait. I'm hoping that Elon saying that their isn't going to be an S/X refresh doesn't mean that there isn't going to be a battery upgrade.

To me it would depend on the numbers. If I could swap into a new Raven S for a good price I would do it.

what’s a good price to me? I have no idea until it was offered. But yup, have to spend to save. Quick napkin calc based on my initial purchase price and current new prices - I’d probably just stick with my current car and let it expire. Unless the car has been trouble.

This is a financial decision based on numbers and facts only you have. You must crunch the numbers and weigh your options. Only you can decide truly whats right for you. I can tell you though life is short, the product gets better, will it be better for you?

Only you can decide.

My RVG expires at the end of August as well — for my 2016 90D that has AP1 hardware. I agonized trying to wait out the rumoured refresh but it’s not happening soon enough.

I decided to go ahead when it turned out that Tesla was offering me a trade in value better than my RVG ($62K RVG vs $75K tradein value (Canadian dollars)), plus the fact the long range S with FSD is actually $20K less than my 2016 Model S, but has longer range and the new Raven stuff and the latest AP computer.

So I’m literally finalizing my order now and will have the new car in a few weeks.

I’d ask a Tesla sales advisor to run numbers for you (I asked to specifically check the trade I value vs the RVG).