Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resurrecting the EV1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to post this on the Tesla site but they seem to be very "picky" these days as to what they accept so it never appeared.

My question is if GM is having such a hard time (financially) why don't they simply recommence manufacturing the EV1 that so many people became upset about when it was withdrawn?

They must surely still have the tooling and drawings so the "re-start-up" costs would be minimal.

Read this:
Autoline on Autoblog with John McElroy - Autoblog
and this:
Yahoo! Groups

Also, keep in mind the following:
  • They say it was a money loser (too expensive to build).
  • Safety standards have changed since it was built.
  • Many parts suppliers likely don't have replacement parts or tooling to make them anymore.
I could see it be a starting point for a new design, but the idea that you could just start the production line back up seems unreasonable.

Last edited:
I could see it be a starting point for a new design, but the idea that you could just start the production line back up seems unreasonable.

It would be interesting if there were any companies out there (big or small) that would be interested in buying the name or tech that would result in producing an updated model or an EV2 or something close to it... We all know GM is looking for buyers. Someone want to move this thread to off-topic completely?