Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return it? or Attempt Service? (Update: Tesla resolved issue)

What say you?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm at the Indy service center now. I'm giving them an opportunity to find the problem - and I've made it abundantly clear that if I'm not satisfied, then I'll return it right now... mobile chargers's back in the trunk, key cards are in the sleeve they came in and in the car, all my crap is out of the car, wife on standby to come pick me up.

Lots of good arguments here for not even giving them the chance, however, I feel like if I don't, then I'm just an asshole who returned their car - but if I let them find the problem, then I have that much more leverage to work with for a situation where I'm made whole. There are lots of 3's out there with no major issues, or no issues at all, and for the time I've had the car, like many, I've fallen for it... so, they get a chance. Either they blow it, or they make it right. Guess we'll know in a little while.
Keep us updated, good luck!

I'm at the Indy service center now. I'm giving them an opportunity to find the problem - and I've made it abundantly clear that if I'm not satisfied, then I'll return it right now... mobile chargers's back in the trunk, key cards are in the sleeve they came in and in the car, all my crap is out of the car, wife on standby to come pick me up.

Lots of good arguments here for not even giving them the chance, however, I feel like if I don't, then I'm just an asshole who returned their car - but if I let them find the problem, then I have that much more leverage to work with for a situation where I'm made whole. There are lots of 3's out there with no major issues, or no issues at all, and for the time I've had the car, like many, I've fallen for it... so, they get a chance. Either they blow it, or they make it right. Guess we'll know in a little while.

This is the SC I’d take my car to if I have any issues so I’m hoping whatever happens, you get treated well. Good luck!

Reactions: NetworkPIMP

They will try to do the right thing and there will be some shortcomings. Then you'll be back to fix that until some manager far away from the SC will tell them they have reached their max allotted expense per customer and to tell you off.

The Service issues are primarily systemic, not so much a problem with individual service managers or technicians. Those individuals can compensate for the organizational shortcomings for a while, sometimes with a lot of effort, until they get tired of getting beaten up by both management and "demanding" customers, and give up. And since top management tends to treat human resources like garbage, the likelihood of them going to bat for you will be low.

Get your heart out of this decision process and return it NOW. Get another one, if you want, but bail on this one!

You're not an a-hole who returned their car - you're returning it because the car is defective and leaking. Nothing wrong with that. It's a very valid reason for a return.

I second the recommendation above to return it for another vehicle, assuming you can wait. Even if it's just a little inconvenient, I would return it. The car is awesome, as you have found - but they make a lot of these cars! There are ones out there that don't leak!

It's obviously a solvable problem, but you don't know how much moisture is already in the car, it's going to be tough to dry out, you're going to be hyperaware of the issue, it will probably take multiple trips to resolve, various interior trim pieces probably should be replaced, etc. I just see it (in the worst case) snowballing into something that isn't fully resolved for months. Note that it's difficult to reproduce, too - so if they repair it and then you have a dry stretch, you might have to wait a few weeks before you can see whether it is really fixed. And given you have the option to return and replace (assuming there is no cost to you in doing so), that seems preferable.

There are so many of these cars, it just makes sense to wait a few weeks for one that is perfect. There are obviously some risks with a new one - but unless the paint and panel alignment is PERFECT on this one, it seems like it's not going to be much change in risk.

Reactions: outdoors
I would have them take a look at it, have them fix the issue then ask them to replace the speaker and anything that got wet. Simple as that.

When I took delivery there was a paint splatter that I didn't see. It was obviously not from assembly but possibly from the trucking company. They were happy to fix it and in the process they had an outside company come in and fully detail the car. So I know it sucks and for a moment considered returning my car for several other small issues but I was happy that I didn't. It gave a chance to get to know the service center folks and felt like they genuinely appreciated me as a customer.

If it was my car, before giving the car to the service center, I would try to diagnostic the origin of the water leak.
I was looking before under the roof liner to see how a roof rack could be attached before Tesla had a roof rack available.

Is it easy to pull away the rubber gasket around the window doors to access the inside roof liner.
It would take a second to get a better view of the issue. This could be useful for everyone.

Note: In the meantime I will certainly take the occasion to wash my car and to poor tons on water on the roof,
especially since I installed a Tesla roof rack and will check carefully if I have the same problem.

UPDATE:

They didn't convince me to keep it, I decided to after I understood what was actually wrong, and saw for myself what was really going on and what they did about it.

The trouble was that seal for the windshield was incomplete from Freemont ... upper corner, passenger side... they completely replaced the windshield, replacing the seal. They also, for good measure, replaced the piece of headliner along the A-pillar, and replaced both speakers (even tho they were working fine)... that said, I watched them pull down that spot of headliner and it was dry... that is, very little water got in there, and it all dried up quickly given how hot it was here last week.

It's been almost 4 full days since repair, and it's piss-pouring rain here today - I drove 44 miles in that rain from home to work... zero intrusion of water, and, as it happens, I went to check the car in the parking garage at lunch - dry as a bone... everything else is 100% with the car...

TBH, I'm fully expecting a litany of folks here to be disappointed in me that I didn't return it... to be clear: I absolutely would have done so if it was something worse than what it actually was - it certainly looked worse than it was... that aside, I really do appreciate that in reality, it's some people here just looking out for me, a perfect stranger, who just happens to own the same brand of car. So, thanks for that. I was stressed-the-F-out, but I'm satisfied that I'm good-to-go.

UPDATE:

TBH, I'm fully expecting a litany of folks here to be disappointed in me that I didn't return it... to be clear: I absolutely would have done so if it was something worse than what it actually was - it certainly looked worse than it was... that aside, I really do appreciate that in reality, it's some people here just looking out for me, a perfect stranger, who just happens to own the same brand of car. So, thanks for that. I was stressed-the-F-out, but I'm satisfied that I'm good-to-go.

Glad that they promptly fixed it and got you on your way. Sounds good to me.

UPDATE:

They didn't convince me to keep it, I decided to after I understood what was actually wrong, and saw for myself what was really going on and what they did about it.

The trouble was that seal for the windshield was incomplete from Freemont ... upper corner, passenger side... they completely replaced the windshield, replacing the seal. They also, for good measure, replaced the piece of headliner along the A-pillar, and replaced both speakers (even tho they were working fine)... that said, I watched them pull down that spot of headliner and it was dry... that is, very little water got in there, and it all dried up quickly given how hot it was here last week.

It's been almost 4 full days since repair, and it's piss-pouring rain here today - I drove 44 miles in that rain from home to work... zero intrusion of water, and, as it happens, I went to check the car in the parking garage at lunch - dry as a bone... everything else is 100% with the car...

I’m glad it worked out for you!