Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returned car.. issues with refund anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I returned my model 3 to Costa Mesa, CA (worst customer service ever by the way) on 4/6 and have not heard back from anyone since. The return process just required me to sign the DMV form to release the title back to Tesla.

I've been pretty patience about waiting a month (allowing them to process the return) and now getting antsy because my first payment is due on 5/16. I tried reaching out to everyone who has been in contact with me and no one has responded (over 2 weeks). Online email support doesn't respond. No one responds..

Is this normal? I'm paying interest everday here...

Irionically I'm waiting for my refund to purchase a SR+ but this is leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I returned my model 3 to Costa Mesa, CA (worst customer service ever by the way) on 4/6 and have not heard back from anyone since. The return process just required me to sign the DMV form to release the title back to Tesla.

I've been pretty patience about waiting a month (allowing them to process the return) and now getting antsy because my first payment is due on 5/16. I tried reaching out to everyone who has been in contact with me and no one has responded (over 2 weeks). Online email support doesn't respond. No one responds..

Irionically I'm waiting for my refund to purchase a SR+ but this is leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Curious as well. Decided to return my Model 3 today after not hearing back from Tesla regarding the defects and damage on the car. Without the assurances of a due bill (which was promised to me during delivery), there really wasn’t a choice. It’s been a nightmare trying to find a qualified human being to talk to, during my short ownership experience with Tesla, and I really hope that won’t continue being the case until I get the refund.

Tesla has been averaging between 6-8 weeks to process refunds. Keep bugging them though just to make sure they don’t forget about you.
Ohhhh I've tried. They really do not acknowledge me at all! So frustrated with this experience. Costa Mesa is 45 miles away so I'm not desperate enough to drive there and yell at someone yet...:p

I don't have the same refund situation, but definitely they give people the run-around. I would say they are worse than a car dealership, at least with a dealership you have someone to solve your issue. With Tesla, I really think they don't care about the customer after you've plunked your money down because I've been getting the run around too. Either that or they are really messed up internally and there's mountains of tickets that no one is looking at.

I returned my SR+ yesterday because Buena Park SC refused to replace the defected inside rearview mirror.
They said the car has been driven more than 100 miles, the interior part won't be cover by warranty.
Also, the vehicle was delivered to me without the hood emblem on 5/10/2019.
There were minor paint issues here and there that I expected already. The trunk and door weatherstrips are pinched.
However, everything is minor issues, and I would have kept the vehicle if SC replaces the mirror.
I am going to order another SR+ this week, and I will keep updating the refund status.

Attachments

• IMG_5779.JPG
    IMG_5779.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_5690.JPG
    IMG_5690.JPG
    449.9 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_5692.JPG
    IMG_5692.JPG
    363.5 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_5765.JPG
    IMG_5765.JPG
    454.5 KB · Views: 255
Here’s the dent the car had. Bumper looks like it’s growing a tumor.

They completely stonewalled me when I asked for a due bill (despite them promising one during delivery), so I returned it, and now they’re ignoring my inquiries about the return. The first payment is due in a few weeks, and Tesla has still not cancelled the loan.

Attachments

• ADED7DA5-1DEC-4993-8356-1588E8C18ABA.jpeg
    ADED7DA5-1DEC-4993-8356-1588E8C18ABA.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 259
  • AED7A85A-AEEA-4C51-902E-863AA62D3C5A.jpeg
    AED7A85A-AEEA-4C51-902E-863AA62D3C5A.jpeg
    659.8 KB · Views: 246

Why didn’t you return it at Marina del Rey, if you’re in Los Angeles? They’re probably equally unhelpful in providing refund status. I tried. That’s where I returned mine, no refund yet. The returned model 3 has been parked at their Hawthorn lot for almost 3 weeks. When I chatted with Tesla support online, they had no idea my model 3 was returned, told me to go back to MDR delivery center to get status.

I’m not hopeful for speedy refund, and now I’m hoping 45 days, based on reading others return experience posts.

Have you heard back from anyone in Costa Mesa yet?
None, as expected.. made my first payment already. I know sooner or later it will get handled so i'm not going to make a big fuss yet...I've been busy.

Why didn’t you return it at Marina del Rey, if you’re in Los Angeles? They’re probably equally unhelpful in providing refund status. I tried. That’s where I returned mine, no refund yet. The returned model 3 has been parked at their Hawthorn lot for almost 3 weeks. When I chatted with Tesla support online, they had no idea my model 3 was returned, told me to go back to MDR delivery center to get status.

I’m not hopeful for speedy refund, and now I’m hoping 45 days, based on reading others return experience posts.
This is embarassing... I actually mixed up marina del Rey with Costa Mesa. But I have been contacting MDR!

Sorry for this big mixed up! It was returned to Marina Del Rey delivery center, not the costa mesa tesla.

Has anyone actually gotten their money back after the refund? No one at Tesla returns phone calls or emails, except my OA, who says he can't help.

This is maddening. I've never seen a business that just ignores you after a purchase. This isn't a question that can be answered by watching a video or reading a FAQ.

Anyone have a good contact at Tesla?

Has anyone actually gotten their money back after the refund? No one at Tesla returns phone calls or emails, except my OA, who says he can't help.

This is maddening. I've never seen a business that just ignores you after a purchase. This isn't a question that can be answered by watching a video or reading a FAQ.

Anyone have a good contact at Tesla?
I have returned M3 5/14. No one has contacted me. My Tesla app still connected to the vehicle. All I know is that the vehicle has been relocated to Manheim California Auto Auction.

I would ask for the name of the service center manager at the location you returned the vehicle to and either call or email them. It is taking Tesla 60 days to issue a refund though so if you only returned the car a week or two ago I think you have quite a while to go.

Update: I opened a case with the BBB and a tesla representative at the MDR location replied. He asked for the plates back, which I was able to drop it off at a nearby Tesla store and he just so happened to be going on vacation the next day so he left me with another associate who does not respond to any communication..go figure...

Reactions: Chopr147
I returned my SR+ yesterday because Buena Park SC refused to replace the defected inside rearview mirror.
They said the car has been driven more than 100 miles, the interior part won't be cover by warranty.
Also, the vehicle was delivered to me without the hood emblem on 5/10/2019.
There were minor paint issues here and there that I expected already. The trunk and door weatherstrips are pinched.
However, everything is minor issues, and I would have kept the vehicle if SC replaces the mirror.

I am going to order another SR+ this week, and I will keep updating the refund status.
Tesla finally has removed The returned M3 on my Tesla account today.
Hoping that they issue the refund soon.