Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review from Canadian drivers-high mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

v.89

Dec 23, 2016
Ottawa
Hello all,

I'll be in market for a new car soon and it'll be driven min 24k (kms) a year at the least.

Do you guys think it's a good value to buy a Electric sedan or stick with gas for a year or so until the product gets more refined?

Most of my drives would be from Brampton Ontario to like Montreal, Quebec. It'll be for work. On my way it seems there are currently 3 superchargers. (2 on 401 and 1 in Toronto)

They will be some what planned ahead and I am wondering do you think for a high mileage driving it's a good car.

The power eventually fades off but it's the sound system, road noise, cabin isolation that I really want to be top notch. I'm reading reviews online and people are still saying that this product does not feel like a 200k car (quality wise) they are fine with technology and all but they are saying a person should wait another year or so before buying this.

I'm torn between Audi RS7 and Tesla Model S P90D -and now new E63 AMG is also launched and both these cars have cylinder deactivation-which gives them amazing mileage plus the cabin quality is top notch with ANR within the cabin.

Even my 12 year old AMG has excellent cabin isolation not like a brand new but very acceptable level.

Currently drive an E55 AMG 04 and it has been such a reliable ride, like it's amazing.

What are the real users thoughts? If possible please give an unbiased opinion. Also , I already have the big wall charger at home. It was used for RV back in the day lol

I have been impressed with the smoothness and quietness of the car. It is unlike anything thing else due to no shifting, no engine noise... etc.

But like others said you should drive one.

I drive a lot for work but it is usually under 250 miles round trip so I don't have to charge. When I do go further I have been able to destination charge. Which works out great.

There will be a cost of charging at these SC stations? I understand it'll still be less than gas but we save on gas but end up paying here?
Would even the top P100D not get free charging?

The website still allows us to build P90D ? there's a lot of difference in price between both how can they force you to buy the top model?

On Edmunds people are posting about wind noise and then roof noise-along with doors sometimes opening for no reason. Service being horrible and so on.

Also, what happens if the car breaks? the closest dealership would be 2 hours one way trip from my house.

You are right, they stopped offering the P90DL, but the P90D is still available. I never have had a problem with wind or roof noise. Consumer reports said it tied for the quietest car they ever tested. The other was a Lexus. A high end German car will have better soundproofing, but has to deal with engine noise and vibrations.

Not having a service center nearby is an inconvenience, there's no getting around it. However,if there's a serious problem they should visit or pick up your car.

any customer who orders a Tesla Model X or Model S after January 1st, 2017, will have to pay “a small fee” when filling up at a Supercharger station. Customers will also have to take delivery of those cars by April 1st, 2017

You don't really NEED the 200k version, a 90D or P90D is more than enough car, unless you really want a supercar. Unless you hate the look of the X, or always drive alone, it is superior in most ways.
I have an S, almost 2 years old, and I put 38k kms a year on it. For the most part it's held up great, and saved me about 3k per year in gas and oil change costs. If your on the 401 the superchargers are setup great.

Autopilot is a game changer if you are on the 401 a lot.

If you order by Dec 31st you still get in on the free supercharging program!

any customer who orders a Tesla Model X or Model S after January 1st, 2017, will have to pay “a small fee” when filling up at a Supercharger station. Customers will also have to take delivery of those cars by April 1st, 2017

That's not entirely accurate. Each year, every Tesla car will get 400kwh (roughly 1000 miles) of free charging at the superchargers. There will be a fee for charging beyond that, but the rates haven't been formalized, as others have mentioned. So, if you start out each trip fully charged from your garage, and if you can charge at your destination, that 400kwh ought to last you a while though maybe not the whole year.

To me, the main reason to buy a Model S is to avoid the ICE. You don't sound like you're most attracted by the "electric" aspect of the car, and so it may not be the car for you. But test drive one. If comfort is most important, I recommend an "X" - easier to get in and out of, and more spacious. I want an X but I bought my S too recently to trade it in yet. And I want to wait and see if the new AP works out.