Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rewiring a 5-15 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon. I have a 14-50 receptacle at home but forgot to pick up a 14-50 adapter when I took delivery of my M3P today. I could order one but am thinking instead of (i) buying a 14-50 male connector (from Home Depot), (ii) cutting off the male end of the 5-15 connector that came with the car, and (iii) wiring the female end of the connector that came with the car to the 14-50 male connector. (Then ordering a new 5-15 adapter.) Can anyone point me to a wiring diagram for the mobile adapter that would assist me in doing this?

I would advise against it. The 5-15 plug that you will be cutting off has a thermistor in it that the mobile connector uses to detect overheating at the outlet. You likely wouldn't be able to properly add this thermistor to the store-bought 14-50 plug.

You would also have to rewire some of the other pins on the female side, that plugs into the mobile connector, to indicate that it can draw 32A at 240V instead of 12A at 120V.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Rocky_H and MLXXXp
Upvote 0