Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride Report: 2020 Model S LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently downsized from a 2016 Model X 90D, which I traded in for a 2020 Model S Long Range. Differences:

1) My bike fits inside more easily by folding the rear seats down. My 6-seater X couldn't do that.
2) My SeaSucker exterior bike rack fits a lot more easily on a Model S than an X.
3) Penny, my 10-year old dog, has an easier time getting in and out of the rear cargo area.
4) The ride is much quieter, especially at freeway speeds.
5) The ride is much smoother: active suspension is an impressive upgrade.
6) Acceleration is crazy fast: the X was no slouch at 0-60 in 4.8, but the S does it in 3.7. (I use Chill Mode most of the time.)
7) My wife and I both miss the power door closing mechanism of the X.
8) The X was a bit easier to get in and out of.
9) The range is much longer, by maybe 120 miles. That is a big reason I made the switch.
10) The falcon-wing doors were kind of a gimmick: cool looking but not that practical. Prefer the S doors.

Overall I'm very happy with the trade.

Let me turn it around: Why use Ludicrous mode?
Your answer to that question is probably the same as mine for Chill.

Because it uses the potential of the car and there is no reason not to. If I want to chill I just do not plant my foot. It allows quick acceleration when needed instead of going to the computer screen and wasting time pressing a different button. And I own the car and am not a valet.

For some people, having the throttle map be a little “softer” is more pleasant. My wife puts our car in Chill every time she drives it because she prefers the amount of travel her foot has for typical acceleration inputs in normal traffic. Even in Chill, the Model S can get out of someone’s way and probably has the same acceleration as a typical ICE family car.

Me personally? I keep it in Insane and like feathering the top end of the throttle map for most driving, and being able to step on it when I just feel like hammering it for a bit. To each their own...