Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in 2020 or keep.......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my second X Traded my 2017for 2020 with much better range. Around 55k now, and I usually keep vehicles 3-4 years. No issues except for that annoying 12v battery, which just got replaced. Free lifetime supercharged, which I dont often use. Basically, is the new model any better than my 2020? Thanks

It's really up for you to decide. There's a lot of different threads showing the updated differences. It's easier if you just go to a local dealer and test the car for 30 minutes or so. Me personally I think it's better than the older models. Watch the youtube reviews and go test the car for yourself though

I don't think there is going to be significant additional changes to the X for a couple more years. So waiting for that could be a longer wait than you might be interested in.

Using the free unlimited supercharging as a bargaining item might be fun.

Bargaining chip with whom? If the OP trades into Tesla, it can be transferred to the new car, but evidently the OP doesn’t use supercharging much so not much value there. If doing a private sale, free supercharging on a 2020 doesn’t transfer to the new owner.

When trading with Tesla is it standard that FUSC transfers to the new vehicle? I assumed Tesla wouldn't typically want to do that, but the buyer could say they'll buy a new car if it does transfer.

I'm also under the impression FUSC remains when transferring private party.

When trading with Tesla is it standard that FUSC transfers to the new vehicle? I assumed Tesla wouldn't typically want to do that, but the buyer could say they'll buy a new car if it does transfer.

I'm also under the impression FUSC remains when transferring private party.
Tesla had a “special” program 2023Q4 to transfer unlimited supercharging to a new car. They have renewed that program for 2024Q1.

There are 2 types of free supercharging. One is SC01 for cars up to March 2017 (if ordered by January 2017) and it does transfer to subsequent owners. The other more common version of free supercharging is SC05 for cars after March 2017 (to early 2020, is the last time I am aware of X/S’s with it) which does not transfer to a new owner.

There really is no negotiating with Tesla. The sales people have no ability/power to make any deal outside what has been authorized at corporate.

• Informative
Reactions: LoudMusic
When I test the X and S refresh honestly it was nice not having stalks. The Yoke and Steering wheel felt great. That's just me though
Not just you. I was very concerned about the stalks. Concerned to the point of cancelling my replacement X order and switching to a Y. But, after looking very hard at the yoke and lack of stalks I decided could live with them. And they have been fine. I don't have any real issues even in double roundabouts.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, all Tesla cars will be stalkless this year, Juniper Y's will be last to switch. I got used to it during my test drive of a 2024 X so I am not worried about it.

I would ditch that 2020 for a 2024 before you lose more value and I would not trade it in to Tesla, they pay less than wholesale. CL it or Carmax.

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
Just an FYI, all Tesla cars will be stalkless this year, Juniper Y's will be last to switch. I got used to it during my test drive of a 2024 X so I am not worried about it.

I would ditch that 2020 for a 2024 before you lose more value and I would not trade it in to Tesla, they pay less than wholesale. CL it or Carmax.
Backing this, Im looking to get rid of my model 2018 P100d by the summer/fall

Every month you wait you are losing value.

Car values across the board are tanking, Id get out of it sooner than later.
It's about 20k under water in regards what I owe. By the summer that won't be a factor in the slightest. I thought about trading and doing negative equity but 20 grand on top of a refresh S or X isn't sitting right with me. I'll have to take my chances lol

Similar situation for us, we had a 2017 X (included FUSC) and then moved to a 2020 X (included FUSC) and after the 2020 X went out of warranty (58K miles) with multiple visit for the front half shaft issues, we decided the 2023 X w/ FUSC offer in Dec '23 was worth it jump. The refresh is the biggest jump from a refinement standpoint, but let's see how it holds up after putting on some miles!

Similar situation for us, we had a 2017 X (included FUSC) and then moved to a 2020 X (included FUSC) and after the 2020 X went out of warranty (58K miles) with multiple visit for the front half shaft issues, we decided the 2023 X w/ FUSC offer in Dec '23 was worth it jump. The refresh is the biggest jump from a refinement standpoint, but let's see how it holds up after putting on some miles!
Did you go plaid or LR? How's it treating you so far? I know you haven't had it for too long

It's about 20k under water in regards what I owe. By the summer that won't be a factor in the slightest. I thought about trading and doing negative equity but 20 grand on top of a refresh S or X isn't sitting right with me. I'll have to take my chances lol
This seals it for me. Just my personal opinion here, but if I were $20K under water on a car loan I couldn't imagine even considering purchasing a new (or used) car just to get a couple of new features.

For what it's worth (and for the record this is a terrible bit of analysis to perform from a financial perspective), I doubt any lender would issue you a car loan with that much negative equity. Most lenders require a down payment because they know that your car will be immediately worth less than the sale price and they don't want to carry the negative equity should you default on your loan.

My suggestion (again, FWIW): ride it out with your current car. Use some of the $20K to buy shares of TSLA and revisit this whole thing in 3-5 years when the next refresh S/X drops.

Reactions: Jayskywalker21